All reviews budget hotel white plains decent hotel oatmeal bed was very comfortable sleepy hollow ny highway
Reviewed 7 January 2009

jan 3,2009 came to n.y. to attend my mothers funeral.this night the sink clogged and didn't drain till morning.Toilet had problems water would rise to the top.I was told when I made reservations that we had a small couch in our room.This couch is only a chair.I was at this hotel with my husband , my 7 month pregnant daughter and 2 1/2 yr grandson, Called front desk about this so called couch and was told that that is what they are told to tell people.This chair is not even close to a small love seat it is chair and no one in their right mind would call it a couch,...Night of Jan 4 sink was clogged again but did not drain this time,tub was clogged.called front desk told her we had to leave in 2 hrs for funeral home.man in and out we could not get dressed in our own room,I had to go to the restroom in hall downstairs to get dressed and then told desk what was still going on and all she could say was sorry so i insisted on another room and she agreed,but now we only have half hr to get to funeral home and we quicklly had to bring all our things to next room and rush out without time to do hair. this room was same as the last but the baathroom did work. Also to make my trip exciting was the hooker that keeps going to the back door to meet her hooker. Blondie has quite a business going on. I smoke so I would go outside to have a cig.and a few times I was approached by her trick and would have to tell him she was at the door waiting.It was very uncomfortable.Even my pregnant daughter was approached .By our third night a new hooker had come to stay.My mothers funeral was Tues Jan 6.I was going to stay that night also as we were so tired with all the running and emotions but chose to leave at 7 p.m. with sleet coming down just to get away from it all.Also the indoor pool was not open again,I have stayed in this hotels over the years to visit family it was never the greatest but I thought the remodeling and new owners wojuld have made a change but it is much worse than ever.The only remodeling I saw was the stairs to get to the front sesk changed to add an elevater.The rest of remodeling was paint. Never Ever again will I stay here, Oh and also you dont even have the resturant any more. this place sucks. Another thing,they also have a girl who shows up at night to sleep on the couch( yes a real couch in the hall ) and she leaves in the morning

Date of stay: January 2009
1  Thank jerseywoman
Reviewed 21 May 2008

Elmsford is a small village of 5000 in Westchester County just off the I87 a little east of the Tappan Zee Bridge. We've stayed at this hotel a few times, because it's an easy drive to the college where my daughter attends, and also because it's cheaper than other good motels in the area. Elmsford itself is by no means a tourist destination, but it's within range of New York City and some Westchester County attractions and businesses. The La Quinta property is about a mile out of downtown Elmsford and not that easy to find. But being a mile from downtown is no disadvantage since, frankly, the downtown is quite unattractive. The motel is on a busy two-lane highway (US 9A) just as it leaves the town and enters the countryside. But the motel sits back from the road on a rise, and is quiet. The property was renovated in the spring of 2007 -- we know, because that's when we first stayed there. (It was being converted from a Wellesley Inn to a La Quinta Inn, and we got a good rate of about $70 because the workers were everywhere.) It has a spacious and nicely appointed lobby and breakfast area where they serve the La Quinta signature enhanced continental breakfast including you-bake-'em waffles. It also has a rather nice-looking indoor pool that we didn't use. The rooms themselves are reasonably spacious, pleasant, comfortable, solidly built, and very clean and well maintained. There's free wireless Internet connection. It was a little weak from our room; my Dell kept losing the signal though my daughter's Apple had no problem with it. There was no electrical outlet available for the laptop, though, except by unplugging something else. Unfortunately we happened to be put right next to a noisy electrical room, though the noise was mostly muffled and wasn't bothersome. Getting out from the parking lot to the road can be difficult, especially in rush hour, because of the traffic.

The price is reasonable for the area, but has been going up. At its conversion from a Wellesley Inn the property lost its AAA rating, and apparently still doesn't have it back, so rooms are now about $145, which is more than most La Quinta's nationally, but less than its peers in this area. But on the whole it's a nice, dependable, quiet, clean, friendly, well appointed property for a not unreasonable price for Westchester County, and I recommend it.

One nice story: we were late to breakfast one morning, but the staff volunteered without being asked to round up coffee, juice, fruit, bagels, and jams for us, which was very kind of them.

Date of stay: April 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 8 May 2008

Progress has been made since some previous posters' comments. The indoor pool is open and pleasantly uncrowded (a little too chlorinated for my taste, but that's public safety for you). Lights I saw were all there, locks were working, paintings were being hung during my stay, and a pleasant breakfast buffet featuring cook-it-yourself waffles started things off pleasantly each morning. The staff was quite helpful; I had a buzzing window heater/AC that was promptly fixed when I reported it (though it took a few tries, they persevered until it was right without my intervention). Walls are no thicker than before but you can always ask for end of hall or next to empty rooms on check-in; they didn't seem very full when I was there, so it may never be an issue unless they try to cluster occupied rooms together. One practical note; to avoid 2 elevators and a long walk, you might want to drive around uphill to the rear entrance after check-in before bringing luggage in. The lobby is in a separate building from the rooms, with pool and fitness and business meeting facilities in between you and your room (requiring 2+ floors and 2 elevators and a hike). Good central Westchester driving location near many freeways and parkways (287, 87, 684, Saw Mill, Taconic, Hutch, Tappan Zee Bridge), but only well-located if you have a car. There's a Sam's Club and multiplex movies within walking distance, but not much else. Nice staff working to get the renovations finished, and they're almost there! Hotwire rates make it a deal in the meantime (3.5 stars with pool and breakfast).

Date of stay: April 2008
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 1 April 2008

The first night that we stayed here, we had to call the front desk at 11:30 at night to have them ask the room next door to turn down their TV. It sounded like it was in our room.

The next night, new neighbors were speaking in a normal tone of voice after midnight but it was still as if they were in our toom.

Also, the heater is under the window. Every time it comes on, it will make you feel like you're sleeping in a factory.

Date of stay: March 2008
1  Thank radiomother
Reviewed 27 July 2007

This is YOUR WAKE-UP CALL: Do not waste your money and time like I did by staying at the Elmsford La Quinta Inn. Stay at hotels in White Plains or nearby Tarrytown's Hampton Inns, instead. I sure wish I did!

Renovations on this former Wellesley Inn site have not been completed. Amazingly, as of my stay (July 2007), most needed repair to the pool, spa, fitness center and more did not appear even to have been started yet. The pool, spa and fitness center are closed. The spa is drained and covered with boards. The indoor pool area appears to have a roof that leaks, along with whatever other challenges it faces. Also, the steak restaurant on site is closed. Upon questioning, the staff says they do not know when or if any of these things will re-open.

Other aspects of the hotel are in need of attention, too. I had concerns regarding hotel security. Lighting fixtures needed replacement bulbs, including the hall outside the bath and in the bath. The room 106-hall light may have had electrical problems that could not be fixed by a bulb replacement. We reported both; only the bath light was replaced during our stay.

This missing hall light is just one of two security concerns I think no guest should have to worry about. When we began our stay we encountered a second significant problem. The outdoor lock to the rear corridor entrance to our building was malfunctioning. It could be opened without a key. (However, a technician corrected this problem on the last day of our stay.)

Despite the inferior conditions, the staff tried very hard to provide excellent service: they attempted continually to fix problems as much as they could. The maid service was wonderful, breakfast was great, and effort is being made to refurbish this hotel since La Quinta took it over.

However, I felt I should have been informed prior to check in that the amenities of pool, spa, fitness center and restaurant are not available. According to what I could see, they have been unavailable for a long time; according to the staff, their future availability is unknown. I would have preferred to know about this prior to booking. I feel the entries on the web were misleading without this information. This may have been unintentional, but I wish all sites would now make an effort to correct the situation.

Frankly, if advertised amenities are unavailable then I think La Quinta should offer a reduced rate to customers. If they are simply going to offer basic motel amenities, I feel customers should pay basic rates. At some famous motels, they not only have functioning hall lights, they promise to leave it on for you! And, they charge less. I only can conclude that my stay at this La Quinta was not a good value for what I paid.

I strongly urge you to avoid this hotel. Yes, it is well positioned in terms of proximity to highways and important business sites; the staff struggles valiantly to make the conditions the best they can be. However, you cannot expect your maid service to make up for problems that must be solved by contractors such as electricians, plumbers, and carpenters. I suggest you stay at hotels in White Plains or near to Elmsford at Tarrytown 's Hampton Inns. I wish I had.

I am a frequent traveler and La Quinta is normally one of my very favorite chains. So, I was pleased to find out that this hotel was taken over by La Quinta. The conditions I experienced are not typical of the fine quality I have expected of La Quinta; it would be a shame if they lost repeat visits to other hotels due to the poor image projected by this location. I am shocked that it has these several long-standing problems with its infrastructure that still need attention. La Quinta has had several months to remedy the infrastructure of this former Wellesley Inn -- I hope they are able to correct these problems soon.

Date of stay: July 2007