“Charming and Ecclectic”

Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 23 March 2018 via mobile

Nice selection on the menu. Food was good. Atmosphere was awesome! Struggled a bit with dietary restrictions.

Date of visit: March 2018

Reviewed 21 March 2018

The only "bad" I can see is this place is small, and that's a fact. I read the positive reviews and it sounds like the place I visited. I read the negative reviews and wonder if a heavy crowd can make the place hard to manage. Regardless, when I was there there were plenty of people, but two tables open when I entered and "breathing room."

The place is neat. The whole town looked like they hadn't given up on Christmas yet, even though it was March. But there was a "Cheers" feel to the bar.

The help: I was seated quickly and offered a menu and the chance to order beer. Don't know the young gent's name, but he catered to my curiosity about the beer and helped me pick a beer with low acidity. I don't recall the name, but it was a regional beer and was good.

I had a Reuben, with Cole slaw in place of the kraut (you can have it either way, or dry). This was a good sandwich. Fair amount of lean, thin sliced corned beef, soft and fresh marbled rye lightly grilled, and what I assume was homemade sauce. I was offered fresh cut fries for an up charge, chose not to because I just didn't want that much food. So, it comes with basic chips.

The food came very fast (almost too fast). I lingered a bit, the waiter was attentive, but didn't hover. Although the local craft brewery calls the craft fan in my soul, I'll eat here again during our yearly ski troops.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed 14 February 2018 via mobile

We went for drinks in the evening and then came back for breakfast in the morning. Service was great. Food and drinks were also good

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 5 February 2018

We visited the Gin Mill on the way home from a family road trip to Olean. We wanted a quick bite to eat and stopped in the village of Ellicottville for a walk. It was lunch time on a Saturday and many of the restaurants and stores were filled with visitors. It was cold and windy out so we did not look for long before going into the Gin Mill which had burgers on the menu so it seemed fine. We quickly noticed a sign that said to seat yourself. We found a table in the back and were approached by a server about our drink order and she motioned to their specials for the day. We ordered a special burger and fresh potato chips to share. It took over 30 minutes for our food to arrive. The burger was prepared to order and pretty good but the fresh potato chips were not as described - they had no brushed salt and no vinegar flavor of any kind and they were not crunchy or crispy at all - they were quite limp and even soft. The fries had little flavor so we added salt and malt vinegar and they were okay. Although generous in serving size, nearly the entire platter of chips was left and we were never asked about it at the end of our meal. The server did "run" by our table once to ask how everything was but did not wait for an answer because we would have mentioned it. Other customers were very loud - literally screaming and laughing very loudly at each other at the tables nearby. I would say causing a disturbance, but nothing was every done about it. Overall this was not a great lunch and we could not wait to get out of the place. We were putting our coats on and standing up before our bill was delivered. Would not recommend and would not return.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed 30 January 2018

Some interesting appetizers, good selection of sandwiches and burgers; traditional pub food. The wine was pretty reasonable. A small pint of beer was way overpriced; 4$ American and it was tiny. The only thing absolutely terrible about this restaurant was the bathroom. The women's bathroom was disgusting. Because of this, I won't return.

Date of visit: January 2018