“Amazing Troglodyte restaurant meal”

Les Caves de la Genevraie
Price range: US$0 - US$29
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

Just eaten at the Genevraie troglodyte restaurant. Just had to sign in to write a review. Amazing..... Our 2 kids (9&11) LOVED it... A surprise for them. I did all the research of various similar restaurants in the area and chose this one because of the reviews. They did not disappoint. Brilliant from start to finish. Great service, friendly, efficient yet not rushed. Plentiful food, all based around foccacia bread freshly baked in the cave. Various fillings. Definitely left there full up and fill of lovely memories. The invite to tour the caves after the main course was a great treat for all of us and again a lovely surprise for the kids. Can totally recommend. A MUST try for anyone. Yes a novel surrounding but we have eaten at many many restaurants as a family over the years but my son reckons this is one of the best ever. My daughter even tried and LIKED the mushroom based foccacia starter. Thank you for a memorable evening.

Reviewed 15 June 2017

It was interesting. You can imagine how these poeple lived only 100 years ago. The information voice recordings were very instructive. There is a total of 3-4 cave-houses to visit. We were expecting maybe long running caves that could take hours to visit. This was not the case. Its like a small farme that was restorated. You can really visit the entire site in 1 hour if you push it. The food was good - the duck rillettes are the best of the filling choice. The flavored butter fillings are good but too fatty.

Reviewed 23 December 2016

Great food, a unique and fun experience. I enjoyed the way the dishes were delivered and the setting was sublime.

Reviewed 28 June 2016 via mobile

Having travelled to Lourdes over the past decade, this May (2016) was the first I ever revisited these caves with a school pilgrimage group. All I can say, is that I wished I had discovered this sooner! It was by far one of the best attractions I have ever been to! Fully breath taking and the variation of scenery was simply epic. The train ride at the end was especially excellent!
At a brilliant price of 9.5€ (if I remember correctly).
Warning - to those who are not able to walk or have difficulties walking down stairs, I wouldn't recommend this for you.

Reviewed 4 September 2015 via mobile

We did not expect this when we arrived at the cave hotel next door. It was packed out but as it was a nice evening they let us sit outside to eat. It's a set menu of a local speciality the fouace with mushrooms, beans, meat plus cheese and salad and a delightful pear and chocolate tart plus an aperitif and bottle of red wine all for €24 per head
Super value and great food and ambiance
Plus you get a tour of the caves and see the 1000 year old working oven where the fouace are made- brilliant
Authentic hearty food and friendly staff - a real taste of France
Recommended