All reviews rocking chairs chautauqua institution valet parking lake chautauqua premium room omelet step back in time opening weekend scallops huge porch updated amenities saturday evening authentic feel bucket list r r classic hotel package deal
Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

Historic Victorian hotel. Looks the part with long corridors, high. Ceilings and spartan interior.

NOT A LUXURY HOTEL but worth staying in.

The dinner was okay but not great. They didn't refill items at 6:45 pm (which seems very early). No more oysters!!. The roast pig was dry as dust. Wine was wildly over priced BUT they did have wine.

Suggest you bring your own booze. At 10:15 they told us to walk to a bar for glass of wine (15 min walk).

We got a package of room, dinner, concert and breakfast. This package deal was worth it and I would recommend. We will do it again next year and bring our our own booze

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jonmun
Reviewed 20 August 2017

Just booked a "suite" at this historic hotel for an overnight with my two sisters. The "suite" was over $700 for one night and it was no suite. It was two tiny rooms connected by a disgusting bathroom. Bathroom light fixture was missing a bulb and the sink wouldn't drain. One bedroom had a queen bed and the other two tiny twin beds. Beds had basic linens and I would describe the beds more like cots. The carpet in the room was dirty and each room had a basic, loud a/c unit in the window. Now again, I understand this is a 100 year old hotel, but if you are not going to maintain it, then don't try to charge 2017 luxury accommodation prices. The place is run like a camp for geriatrics with breakfast service stopping at 9:30am sharp with no flexibility. Food was adequate but waitstaff is young, inexperienced and seemed a bit "attitudy"
Front desk staff was very accommodating and provided a polite ear and good compromise in resolving my complaints (asked to check out at noon instead of the ridiculously early 10am checkout time). All in all, rent space within the institute, there are rooms or condos or other lodging options. This place, until they do a massive overhaul, is just resting on its very worn, very dated laurels.

Room tip: Book elsewhere
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Laura P
Reviewed 7 August 2017

I paid a tremendous amount of money to stay in this hotel. I have never had a more miserable room. Hard twin beds, tiny room, lousy bathroom. Old and not refurbished in the last 20 years. Junk furniture, like from a yard sale. I would expect to pay about $39 for a room like this. The whole hotel needs to be restored. There was not one descent piece of furniture in the lobby, not one interesting painting. Decrepit tile ceilings in what was supposed to be a classical Victorian mansion. Again. Junky little pillows, cheap towels, and certainly not twin sinks. I think I had a nicer room when I was a kid at summer camp. And this was for BIG money. Never again.

Room tip: Big reputation, but a dumpy hotel. Outside looks nice, but worse than a Red Roof Inn.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 10 August 2017

Dear Ray,
We at the Athenaeum Hotel are very sorry for your unsatisfactory stay at our establishment. We appreciate your feedback and would like the opportunity to make it right. Let me respond to the issues you have brought to our attention;
Our Hotel was build in 1881 and is a solid wood structure in which is the largest of wooden structures East of the Mississippi. In the past 100 years we have spent a lot of time and resources to maintain the original structure of the hotel. We will be undergoing an extreme renovation in the next few years to alter the ceiling lobby, dining areas. as well as continuing to renovate the rooms. This summer the lobby was repainted and we have not yet replaced the artwork that was on the walls. All of the lobby furniture was replaced as of Tuesday August 1, 2017. We apologize you were unsatisfied with your stay and if you would like to discuss this further please contact us at 716-357-4444 or athenaeum@chq.org
Athenaeum Hotel Management

Reviewed 31 July 2017

I have waited most of my adult life to stay at this hotel. I stayed the night of the Harry Potter Movie with orchestra. The show was amazing and paying extra for the preferred seating was worth the few dollars. I purchased the Harry Potter package which included the gate pass, parking, one night hotel, and 3 meals. It was still very expensive ($400) but this was a special present for my daughter's 25th birthday. Besides the historic nature of the hotel, I cannot say anything positive about my experience at the hotel. No toiletries in my room. Ran out of toilet paper. Had to ask for one bar soap twice. Never came and finally saw a service attendant walking the hall with towels. Clock and lamp next to bed not plugged in and I could not pull out the bed myself, but why should I have to do this? Waited 25 minutes to be seated for dinner, (even though I made the reservation June 2nd). The waitress at dinner was non existent. Had the steak', which was cooked to perfection but tough. I wanted to return the meal and order something else but no one ever asked me about my meal. I sat in front of an untouched plate over half and hour. I thought the waitress left. Tried to track several people down, to help, but not possible. Never could order dessert or a new meal because we ran out of time to make the concert. Was told hotel was very busy. No apologies at all. When checking into my room, I received a note under the door, not thanking me for my stay but telling me it would be so busy checking out to make sure that I call in advance for valet. I had been in the hotel not 5 minutes and the staff is telling me about check out procedure. When turning in my key, no one asked how was my stay, how was anything at all. I do not think this hotel staff cares. The people checking out next to me for some reason could not get into breakfast. Again no apology to them, just the person behind the desk telling them how busy the hotel was. Tip for hotel, if you booked 180 rooms, you should anticipate that all these parties have the possibility of showing up for meals. If the hotel cannot handle it, they should not book all the rooms. I was hoping for a wonderful hotel experience and it was really poor. I was unlucky that the steak was not good. No fault of the hotel or staff, but the inattention all during the stay is not excusable for the price paid. I always tip servers, even with sub par experiences. This was my first no tip EVER in my life.

Date of stay: July 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
4  Thank lisalaceport
Reviewed 10 July 2017

I have been to the Chautauqua Institution many times, and have always wondered about this hotel which is clearly old and filled with traditions. We obtained a weekend special which included a room and three meals. The food was terrific. I was surprised at the quality of the scallops I had, served with asparagus puree, mashed potatoes, choice of a salad and desert. The scallops were perfectly done and delicious. The presentation was impressive. My husband's filet was equally satisfying and done perfectly. Other meals: breakfast and brunch were equally impressive.
The hotel room was worse than I expected, even knowing that it was an old hotel. We had twin beds, one of which was off the head board by at least 5 inches. The mattress was really uncomfortable. The room was quite small with an inset for the closet and a small bathroom which included a tub-shower. There was no room for even a chair in the room so it was stand or sit on the bed. Tub-showers make me nervous because of the fall-risk as I step over the tub edge into the shower. No nice shower head but a nozzle.
So I would agree with another reviewer who essentially said: stay elsewhere but enjoy the meals.
The Institution itself is wonderful and well worth a visit.

Room tip: Chautauqua is quiet and there must be better rooms that the one we had. So you might ask to see the room before committing.
Date of stay: July 2017