“Dirt under the beds.”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Canandaigua
Ranked #7 of 12 Hotels in Canandaigua
Reviewed 27 September 2017

I am reluctant to write an unfavorable review of this motel because it is moderately priced and family managed. The owner is very pleasant and accommodating. However, the motel does need some improvements. Some of the problems are beyond the control of the manager. It apparently is a moderately inexpensive structure which accounts for the paper-thin walls and the sounds of a toilet flushing, various noises within the walls and the coughing of a guest next door. The room appeared to be very clean when checking in. We dropped the TV remote which rolled under the bed. When I got down on the floor with a flashlight to retrieve it I was shocked at what I saw. There were dust balls, bottle caps, coins, wrappers and a lot of dirt. Obviously no one vacuumed under the beds for a long period. A big, black and furry spider came crawling out from under the bed. An insect could be found in any motel room but I think the dirt under the beds could possibly attract insects. It was a concern to me because of the possible health concerns They could do a better job cleaning the rooms.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank CashM

Reviewed 20 September 2017 via mobile

If you need to sleep bring ear plugs. Paper thin walls. You hear every flush in the building. 100 yards off a truck route. Don't pay much . Totally mediocre continental breakfast.
Plus side the room and bath were clean enough. A single cup coffee maker, minifridge and microwave didn't increase the value in my opinion.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 August 2017

This is one of the better Econolodges. The rooms were large, clean, decorative, modern, and comfortable. The room looked recently remodeled. It had a microwave and refrigerator, too. The breakfast was sufficient with hot waffles and real orange juice. Other selections were available. The only strange thing was that we arrived around noon, were shown our room, but had to leave and come back at the 2:00 check in time to actually check in. Odd, but no problem as there is a lot to see and do in the nearby town.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank David D
Reviewed 5 August 2017

I have waited a couple of months to write this review because I wanted to be fair. And I have calmed down a lot. I think it was probably an honest mistake by someone new answering the phone and not a deliberate rip-off. But I am still out $50

I called the hotel directly -- perhaps that was the real mistake. I asked for rates for a 3-night stay some weeks in advance and was told $70 a night. That is a fair price for an Econo Lodge, so I made the reservation. (Happily unrelated events made me cancel the third night.) When I went to check out, the rate was $70 -- but only for the first night (a Thursday). The second night was a whopping $50 more -- $120.

The owner insisted I must have misunderstood. I didn't. I was told $70 PER NIGHT. I have stayed in a lot of hotels -- no way would I EVER agree to $120 for an Econo Lodge. The main attraction of the chain is that it lives up to its name. The breakfasts are typically all-sugar (no eggs or oatmeal, or fresh fruit). And in general amenities are not what one gets from a $120 room.

As I said, my anger has finally subsided. I still resent having paid more than I agreed to pay. My advice is to either book through Expedia or a similar site or insist on a written (email or other) confirmation of the rate.

That being said, the room was fine -- clean, with a microwave and refrigerator I didn't use on this visit but often do. There was some road noise, but I put on the fan, which made sleep possible. The traveling companion I was with had the next room and did some (non-electric) guitar-playing. I could have sung along; every note was audible -- the walls must be pretty thin, as guitar is a quiet instrument. A neighbor less quiet than my friend could have made for an unpleasant stay.

I probably was not deliberately cheated. But I still paid more than the room was worth for the second night. Get it in writing!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 August 2017

The room was ok but it was out of the way (not really near a highway) and overpriced. The hallways smelled like spices or something being cooked. That I didn't mind but the mattresses were not very comfortable. Also the breakfast did not seem fresh (only thing that was fresh were the waffles we made. Otherwise, the customer service was great.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canandaigua
2.1 km away
20.1 km away
Best Western Plus Victor Inn & Suites
20.7 km away
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Victor/Rochester

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Canandaigua? Share your experiences!