I have waited a couple of months to write this review because I wanted to be fair. And I have calmed down a lot. I think it was probably an honest mistake by someone new answering the phone and not a deliberate rip-off. But I am still out $50
I called the hotel directly -- perhaps that was the real mistake. I asked for rates for a 3-night stay some weeks in advance and was told $70 a night. That is a fair price for an Econo Lodge, so I made the reservation. (Happily unrelated events made me cancel the third night.) When I went to check out, the rate was $70 -- but only for the first night (a Thursday). The second night was a whopping $50 more -- $120.
The owner insisted I must have misunderstood. I didn't. I was told $70 PER NIGHT. I have stayed in a lot of hotels -- no way would I EVER agree to $120 for an Econo Lodge. The main attraction of the chain is that it lives up to its name. The breakfasts are typically all-sugar (no eggs or oatmeal, or fresh fruit). And in general amenities are not what one gets from a $120 room.
As I said, my anger has finally subsided. I still resent having paid more than I agreed to pay. My advice is to either book through Expedia or a similar site or insist on a written (email or other) confirmation of the rate.
That being said, the room was fine -- clean, with a microwave and refrigerator I didn't use on this visit but often do. There was some road noise, but I put on the fan, which made sleep possible. The traveling companion I was with had the next room and did some (non-electric) guitar-playing. I could have sung along; every note was audible -- the walls must be pretty thin, as guitar is a quiet instrument. A neighbor less quiet than my friend could have made for an unpleasant stay.
I probably was not deliberately cheated. But I still paid more than the room was worth for the second night. Get it in writing!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- EconoLodge Inn and Suites is a newly Renovated Hotel. We Start renovation in 2014 finish in 2015. Offering small breakfast that include waffles muffins fruit toast coffee mild and juice. Enjoy watching HDTV on brand new 42in Tvs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Expedia, Hotels.com, Agoda, LoveHolidays and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Canandaigua reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Red Carpet Inn & Suites Canandaigua Hotel Canandaigua
- Red Carpet Inn And Suites Canandaigua
- Red Carpet Inn Canandaigua
- Canandaigua Red Carpet Inn