“Get it in writing”

Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Canandaigua
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Canandaigua
Reviewed 5 August 2017

I have waited a couple of months to write this review because I wanted to be fair. And I have calmed down a lot. I think it was probably an honest mistake by someone new answering the phone and not a deliberate rip-off. But I am still out $50

I called the hotel directly -- perhaps that was the real mistake. I asked for rates for a 3-night stay some weeks in advance and was told $70 a night. That is a fair price for an Econo Lodge, so I made the reservation. (Happily unrelated events made me cancel the third night.) When I went to check out, the rate was $70 -- but only for the first night (a Thursday). The second night was a whopping $50 more -- $120.

The owner insisted I must have misunderstood. I didn't. I was told $70 PER NIGHT. I have stayed in a lot of hotels -- no way would I EVER agree to $120 for an Econo Lodge. The main attraction of the chain is that it lives up to its name. The breakfasts are typically all-sugar (no eggs or oatmeal, or fresh fruit). And in general amenities are not what one gets from a $120 room.

As I said, my anger has finally subsided. I still resent having paid more than I agreed to pay. My advice is to either book through Expedia or a similar site or insist on a written (email or other) confirmation of the rate.

That being said, the room was fine -- clean, with a microwave and refrigerator I didn't use on this visit but often do. There was some road noise, but I put on the fan, which made sleep possible. The traveling companion I was with had the next room and did some (non-electric) guitar-playing. I could have sung along; every note was audible -- the walls must be pretty thin, as guitar is a quiet instrument. A neighbor less quiet than my friend could have made for an unpleasant stay.

I probably was not deliberately cheated. But I still paid more than the room was worth for the second night. Get it in writing!

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 3 August 2017

The room was ok but it was out of the way (not really near a highway) and overpriced. The hallways smelled like spices or something being cooked. That I didn't mind but the mattresses were not very comfortable. Also the breakfast did not seem fresh (only thing that was fresh were the waffles we made. Otherwise, the customer service was great.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2017

I booked this on line and knew the room rate. This stay was 1 of 18 one-night stays on a cross country trip. We stayed at many that were nicer and cheaper. This property should not be charging this high of rate for what you get. Or should I say "don't get". Cigarette butts and left over water balloon pieces were everywhere on the grounds, weeds were rampant front and back and then a gravel drive way on the back side. No elevator for 2nd floor access. No Bell cart to even get your luggage to the stairs to go up one floor. The room itself is nicer than the exterior leads you to believe. However, again it is not worth this price. The ice machine barely worked, but when we told the front desk staff we were told the "technician" would be there Monday to repair. Continental breakfast did include yogurt.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2017

This is a family run hotel. I really don't have anything bad to say about the hotel. Our room was clean enough. Canandaigua is very busy when there are weekend concerts, so you take what you can get when every hotel is sold out or requiring a 2 night stay. Its a simple breakfast, nothing special. Coffee is provided in the rooms and at the breakfast in the morning. Our room did have a fridge in it. The hotel was quiet to fall asleep in. The back parking lot is not paved if that matters to you.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2017

If your going to a concert at CMAC this hotel is walking distance and close to stores and restaurants down the street but the rooms are older and need updating. Wasn't impressed with the breakfast...very little to choose from. Staff was very helpful.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Canandaigua
2.1 km away
14.6 km away
Finger Lakes Hotel
Finger Lakes Hotel
#3 of 4 in Farmington

Been to Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Canandaigua? Share your experiences!