“Cozy spot with excellent wines”
Review of Ernie's Wine Bar

Ernie's Wine Bar
Ranked #14 of 49 Restaurants in Bronxville
Reviewed 13 February 2017

My wife and I dined there for the first time in years. The space is small, but quite cozy and welcoming. There's a separate "wine room" which appears to be for groups. We chatted with the woman who bought it from the founder. She's working hard to maintain its quaint, local feel. After asking a couple of questions about the type of wine you'd like, she brings a couple of bottles to taste. I settled on a glass of excellent Zinfandel, and my wife had an equally satisfying Sancerre. They were $14/15 per glass. The food is good to excellent, although the portions are on the smaller side -there were just two of my flavorful cannelloni, when I would have expected three for the $18 price.

1  Thank JDW952

Reviewed 13 October 2016 via mobile

I come to Ernie's a couple of times a month and will continue to because it's a local business that I want to support (and there are no other wine bars in town) but I really wished I liked it more. I love being able to taste a few wines before committing but I still want a wine list or menu -- if, for no other reason, to know how much I'm spending before getting the bill (yes, I could ask but who wants to do that in a group?). I do feel like the food is a bit better under the new owner but was annoyed that I had to ask for bread when I order a bowl of olives (does anyone just eat them on their own?). However, service definitely is not as good/fast as it was before, especially on busy nights.

So, overall, love the wine but need faster service and menus with wines pricing.

Reviewed 27 August 2016 via mobile

I love this place. It's a hidden gem in Bronxville. It's a beautiful intimate ambience with excellent wine and eats. The owner Is extremely attentive and the atmosphere is chill and you don't want to leave. I felt de-stressed just going in. I LOVE the private room for a meeting, get together book club... So adorable

Reviewed 16 August 2016 via mobile

Upon entering this lovely establishment we felt as if had entered someone's home. Very inviting place! Enjoyed the art work and some of the quirky elements such as the stuffed Ernie by the entrance. Also noticed that they're pet friendly. It must have been an off day considering it was a Friday as we had the place to ourselves. Nonetheless, the service and food were great. However, despite being able to taste the wine before committing, we were surprised on how expensive the wine was by the glass. Needless to say this is a lovely wine bar and wish the owners success.

Reviewed 24 July 2016

This is a great concept with small plates and wines by the glass/bottle. Unique in that it's a wine bar with no wine list. They let you taste different things that they are serving, and you chose which you want. Small, intimate space - the private dining room is adorable. Food is better than average, and the wines are interesting, and not things you will generally see in other places.

Service can be a problem. This place recently changed hands, and the original husband/wife owners were extremely hands on, and ever present. They seem understaffed at times - when we were there, there was a group in the private dining room and people in the regular restaurant and bar had a very difficult time getting service. A few couples came in, sat down, and waited a while and left because no one came over to them.

Maybe just some transitional issues, but not sure I'd go back with so many other options in the area.

(Parking can be difficult at times)