All reviews afternoon tea the main house country house national trust public rooms scones beautiful grounds stately home spa facilities four poster steam room historic building waiting staff relaxing break changing rooms amazing hotel birthday treat
Reviewed 10 November 2018 via mobile

Everything about this stay was brilliant Every member of staff we had contact with went the extra mile especially the porters and the gate man. Wonderful accommodation and food. Nothing was too much trouble.Will return.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Nicola M
Reviewed 3 November 2018

We booked on the back of a NT magazine offer for three nights. Everything good has already been said about this hotel. The staff were extremely polite and not obsequious in any way which is sometimes a feature of top class hotels. They were all European, all friendly and offered super service. The rooms are excellent as is the cuisine. We enjoyed a morning in the spa rooms and found it very relaxing.
Two very minor points.
The car park and the spa centre are a way uphill from the hotel and whilst we are fit
I'm not sure how disabled people would cope with the walk to and from the car park
up the hill. Its fine for check in and check out as parking is available whilst check
in/out. Also in bad weather it is a bit inconvenient. However I imagine provision
would be made in these circumstances.

We got lost in the grounds and environs and I think the footpath map needs a
revamp as it is a bit unclear. Or maybe we just took wrong turns.

Overall this hotel is superb and I cannot understand how anyone could rate it anything other than excellent. Not cheap but you get what you pay for here.

Room tip: Any room in the house is good. Not sure about the courtyard.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2018 via mobile

We stayed here as a couple for 3 nights. We arrived on the Friday night, the grounds are simply stunning (at night or day). We walked in and it was peaceful and cosy. The gentleman took our case and showed us to our room, which was back outside and up the driveway. At first I was disappointed at this but actually the outdoor cottage type rooms are lovely and the gentleman was so nice telling us all about the history. The road between the main house and cottages is so dark though! They really need more lights here. One evening I tripped over the speedhump - it is pitch black. Anyway, the room we had was super cute, good facilities (teas and coffees, biscuits, hot water bottle, umbrella etc). The room service menu is quite limited, particularly the desserts which is only fruit tart or cheese. I rang reception asking if they had any chocolate and they said no, but then said they could send some gift shop chocolates which we had. The next day we had breakfast in our room, my boyfriend is Muslim and doesn't eat pork and they had sent the wrong breakfast full of pork sausages. I rang to say the wrong order had been sent and the woman was so rude! She replied with 'it's what you ordered'and I said no I didn't order it and she said 'yes you did!' . This left me speechless and a few seconds later she apologised as she realised they had mixed up our orders. I think some customer service training is definitely needed as you do not speak to a customer like this! We had to wait 35 minutes for the correct breakfast to arrive, during this time mine had gone cold. It was lucky we didn't have any treatments booked that morning. In the afternoon we had afternoon tea which was very good especially for the price. Delicious sandwiches and cakes and they were very accommodating of my nut allergy and my bf not eating ham. That evening we had dinner in the main house, again very good food and really attentive. It's quite formal in the main doing room, the other rooms are beautiful and I enjoyed a cocktail or two. That night we decided to have room service breakfast again but they hadn't put a new form in our room so my boyfriend had to make a make shift one. We wrote our order and the next day it arrived correctly. That night we had room service dinner, the burger is delicious. We wanted to have a dessert so decided to go down to the main house and see if we could have just dessert in the main dining room. The receptionist told us we couldn't (same lady as on the phone, she's very defensive and has a rude apprpach). We decided to go ask anyway and they were fine about it! They let us eat our dessert in the dining room.

The hotel is beautiful, the rooms are quite old fashioned but in a good way. I also had some spa treatments, the massage was one of the best I've ever had she got rid of so many knots! The only downside is that you could hear doors slamming and people talking whilst laying down having a massage trying to switch off. I had a manicure and that night some of the varnish chipped off. Over the next few days all my nails chipped away so I decided to email them. I totally understand it isn't a shellac or gel but it should have lasted a few days! They apologised on the email but didn't offer any refund or anything. The manicure isn't worth it at all, I can do it myself for free.

Finally, on the last day we had room service breakfast again and it was wrong again!!!! They sent sausages to my boyfriend. I rang reception again and they swapped it but it took half an hour again. When they brought the two trays in they balanced it on the tiny table, when they left the room one of the trays fell off and the tea pot went upside down and the glasses smashed and juice went all over the floor. I rang reception and the guy simply replied ' so I'm guessing you want both breakfasts sent up again?' I was so stunned at this rude response when they were the ones who sent the wrong breakfast for the second time and stupidly balanced a tray on the side of the table! It took forever for the new breakfast to arrive and I mentioned that we needed a bowl for the cereal and they never brought it. The toast was cold as well. This was so dissapointing on our last morning, to spent the entire time cleaning the floor and ringing reception.

As mentioned the hotel is stunning, but the customer service is lacking in areas. Certain people let the place down. And I don't think they should offer room service breakfast as they clearly can't provide it.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank kelly8998
MACJohnson, General Manager at Hartwell House, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2018

We thank the reviewer for their long review following their stay at Hartwell House, and we are pleased that on the whole they enjoyed their visit.

We would have welcomed the opportunity to discuss at management level any of the reviewer’s critical comments, either during the visit or on departure.

We accept that there were room service issues on two occasions during the stay to the guest’s room, 150 yards away from the House. Our apologies were given at the time and gestures were offered and accepted. Whilst untypically mistakes occurred in terms of accuracy of delivery, these errors were compounded by the omission from the order form completed by the guest of the room number. Dietary requirements were also not specified on room service orders. On day two of the visit it was not possible to place a new breakfast order form in the room as a do not disturb sign was left on the exterior door all day by the guests. Telephone calls to enquire about a housekeeping visit were not answered, and so housekeeping service could not be provided that day.

It is understood that puddings were requested to be served in the Drawing Room, which is not possible, as all restaurant menu items are served in the dining room. We are pleased that arrangements were made on a quieter evening to order and serve puddings only in the restaurant.

Courtesy is always the rule at Hartwell House and staff inform me that they had no intention of being rude. We receive many positive words about the high levels of service provided with kind comments from guests during the weekend of this particular visit.

At the Spa the nail polish treatment provided was cosmetic rather than a long-lasting treatment, such as ‘Geleration’, acrylic nails or equivalent, a treatment that is also available here.

We hope these guests will return when we will do our utmost to achieve perfect service in all respects, not just in most of them.

Reviewed 15 October 2018

From start to finish a fantastic experience rather than just a hotel stay. Food was amazing and served in a grand dining room. Staff were really helpful and attentive. Rooms and grounds are beautiful. Worth the cost.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank B0b35
Reviewed 4 October 2018

We centered our visit in the area in this hotel for 9 nights. There was a slight misunderstanding about what we wanted and it was sorted out very generously. The hotel has the promised atmosphere and service. The breakfast was fantastic, the dinners we had were first rate. My only "complaint" is about the Ha-ha around the beautiful avenue, which does not allow for the walks I had imagined that I would take. There are other walking paths, though.

Date of stay: September 2018