All reviews tree house on foot water buffalo tiny plane single file open air unique experience mokoro rides water lilies wet season dugout canoe matt treehouse kg walks md toilet
Reviewed 19 February 2016

If you are lucky to get to Delta Camp, expect a unique experience. It is hard to describe. But it is the best camp in Africa.

It isn't really like any other safari. You might see big game. We got close to lions and elephants - in fact the ellies were in the camp. But it is the small animals of every kind, the plants and the ecosystem that are so special. My favourites? The bats in the shower.

Did I say peacefulness? Well it is genuinely wild and unfenced. So don't complain if the animals keep you awake.

Peter the owner is a legend too. And they have great polers/guides, using real wood mekoro.

Room Tip: Avoid the hut that occasionally gets flattened by elephants - no one has been hurt yet.
  • Stayed: March 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 December 2015

Well this is the best Botswana experience one can have. The staff is superb and attentive, food is incredibly good, wine list is very good and they have choices. Lastly the guides are the BEST.
I was here for 2 nights in Dec 2015. I was shocked to see my room, been to many eco lodges but this one is one of a kind. Room opens out into the savannah. I was quite scared the first night as I had hippo and elephant friends around my lodge and i woke up many times. Second night I was loving it.
Matt did a very nice job hosting us and took care of all the guests individually.
The safari is one of a kind. Be prepared to walk 3 to 4 hours in the morning and about 2-3h in the evening as these are walking safaris. You do see a LOT, I mean a LOT.
You are assigned an individual guide and the guides are exceptional. My guide was Kenny a young man who lives in the village. He was superb. Very knowledge and speaks excellent English that I thought he was raised in England. Super knowledgeable and if he does not know something, he researches and tells you what he found out.
In the evenings you can sit out in the deck and watch the entire action of Hippos. elephants, giraffes and many antelopes and possibly a few water buffalo as well.
The staff went out of the way to make a Christmas dinner for us.
I will recommend this place as a MUST DO and I would love to be here again in June/July during the wet season.

Room Tip: all rooms are excellent
  • Stayed: December 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank Wander_Lust1969
Reviewed 14 December 2015

Sadly, we were only there 2 nights. It would have been great to have another day or two here. We stayed in the tree house (the BEST room there) which was just wonderful!!.I was rustic and felt so true to the area. No pretension. The staff were all local from the manager to the guides. It felt very genuine and so did the folks running it. The food was great. The tours were all on foot and a brief makoro ride (there was very little water) The animals came very close and we sat on the deck of the tree house just watching hippos and birds frolic. It was my favorite part of our ten day trip!

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 October 2015 via mobile

As a corporate pilot I travel several place and try to experience where I am. The service here was amazing, you are emerged into the wilderness. Food was good and there was a wide variety of drinks. You have to fly in a light aircraft. I was happy with the condition of the aircraft and the pilots flying. Delta camp set up the flight. Do be aware this is not a typical hotel but more like ultra high end camping! I stayed in a amazing tree house. You can't wonder around at night there are elephants and hippos in the area. The guides are very experienced and cautious. This is one of few camps that have guides qualified to let you walk in the Delta and not be stuck in a jeep. It is a rush when you see the big animals but I felt safe.

Stayed: November 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 27 May 2015

My wife and I recently spent three nights in Delta Camp--in the tree house--the premier location.

Delta is rustic--open air rooms with mosquito netted beds. The treehouse was charming but required climbing down 10 steps to the bathroom--a challenge in the middle of the night.

When you arrive at the airstrip, you get into a mokoro and are poled along through the reeds of the marsh for about an hour to reach the camp.

The people are charming.

The game experience is---what to say?-- You walk on the largest island in the Okavanga. Only walks are offered. We called them "P and P" walks. We saw lots of prints and poop and very few animals. The chances of seeing predators is minimal. The prey animals are skittish and maintain a wide margin. According to KG, our guide, the predators smell the human scent and avoid it.

So, it is cool to stay in a rustic Okavanga camp and walk through the African bush, but 2 days is plenty.

The Delta lodge is owned by some eccentric dude who never wears shoes and the experience of Delta lodge is eccentric.

We were told that in the Oct-Jan season there are more animals to see, but we were there in May.

So three stars, generously.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled with family