Meno a Kwena Tented Camp(Makgadikgadi Pans National Park)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsmain tentparaffin lampssalt panno electricityevery requesthuge four poster bedon arrivalquad bikeshigh teaspent nights herecommon areasharoldskyfurthestlandscapeaccommodationsrugs
Reviewed 16 September 2017 via mobile

We spent 3 nights here. Our first visit to Africa and safari. The tents are enormous, beautiful decor. We had a huge four poster bed that required a step to get on it. The bathroom was comfortable with a flushing commode. The staff are wonderful...Alejandra , the manager, Harold, our guide, Bibi and all the rest of the team pampered us with warmth and hospitality. The meals are taken on a long communal,beautifully laid table overlooking the Salt Pans. High tea is spent lolling on comfortable cushions and rugs. No electricity is what makes the experience unique. There is a charger for phones and camera batteries...in fact, they often receive journalists and photo shoot crews who appreciate the peace and understated luxury. No electricity means that for a few days, you dine by lantern light in the mess tent, have quaint lanterns scattered around your room at night, walk to your tent (always accompanied by a staff member) down long sandy paths by starlight. Wonderfully calm and quiet. The night sky is ablaze with the absence of light pollution.
There is talk of adding electricity....PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE leave the mess tent electricity and wifi free.
For a few days we tried life without a phone and Internet and it will bliss...conversation and fellowship returned and that was truly wonderful.
As for the activities, other reviews have told how much there is to do ...we had a fabulous times and wonderful experiences.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank K M
NS-Marketing, Public Relations Manager at San Camp, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we do appreciate it.

Goodness, what a way to experience Africa for the first time. You certainly made your debut in style by choosing San Camp!

It's wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your time at this very special camp, and that you appreciated our lack of electricity. We agree that sometimes a disconnection can be exactly the connection you need...

Hopefully we'll be welcoming you back before too long.

Best wishes,
Pru - San Camp Marketing Team

Reviewed 7 October 2016

We stayed here 2 nights of our 25 night African journey. Things to do there: bushman walk, visit meerkat, ride quads, truck safari (day and night), horse back safari, sleep under the stars in the middle of the salt pan away from camp (amazing).
I have a lot to say about this place (good and bad) but Tripadvisor keeps rejecting my reviews that include discussing more than one topic. So I will just talk about the bad.
When we arrived I want to go see Meerkat, but we were told that was not an option and that we could go with the other guests on a afternoon/evening drive to look for the brown hyena. We didn’t think they would find any (we were right) so we stayed in camp and had to wait for them to come back before eating because everyone dines together. The next morning we were to get up at 6:30 am, eat at 7am with everyone so we could all walk with the bushman at 7:30. This schedule was set around the other guest’s morning departure. After the walk was over at 9 we were told to come back for lunch at 11. After lunch we were told to meet back at 4:30 for a quad ride. I asked if we could do something else. I asked if we could see Meerkat. No, it wasn't our turn. I asked if could we go visit Jack’s Camp as I have heard much about it. No, visiting Jack’s camp required 24 hour notice. The facility is nice, the staff were not interactive, and the food is good. But, they have a schedule for you based on their limited staff, and the limitations of sharing resources. This lack of flexibility was frustrating and disappointing.

For a complete trip report and advise, go to the Tanzania Travel Forum, select the Post Your Trip Report onto This Thread sticky, and look for my October 1, 2016 reply #487.

4  Thank CAtraveler2k
Reviewed 29 September 2016

My family and I (grown children with their spouses + me and hubby) went on this absolutely amazing trip to San Camp in May. We had so many delightful experiences that several times during our 3 night visit we'd say "Are we REALLY here?" Honest. It was amazing.
A few highlights: Breath taking beauty everywhere. Peaceful solitude as I've never experienced. So much and so varied wildlife. The ethereal beauty of the Salt Pans. The feeling that you are so incredibly small in the universe as you stand at what seems like the edge of the earth - even seeing the curve of the earth. We were lucky enough to be there during a full moon which added to the majestic beauty all around us. I know these are a lot of bold expressions (majestic, ethereal,etc.... but this is no exaggeration)

Our young guide, Greg, was a delight to be around. He was so excited about and respectful of the environment and had so much knowledge. He shared so much with us and we really appreciated that. He knows so much history and his passion is contagious. He also took care of us like a scout leader should and was so cute when presenting the surprises. (not telling what they are - you must go there).
The sunsets are stunning!
The tents were very comfortable and luxurious and classic Africa. Comfortable beds, plenty of hot water, wake up tea or coffee every morning as the staff bring it to your room. Comfy chaise lounge on your porch looking out over the vast salt pans. The main tent where meals are served at a beautiful long elegant table is decorated in the classic Africa style. There is a relaxing room that is so breathtaking with it's multitude of pillows and Persian rugs, I kept feeling like I was at the private home of a Sheik.
The food is delicious and beautifully served. The staff tend to your needs and are very kind and outgoing.
Yes, Meerkats are adorable and they like to use us humans as lookout towers ;-) We rode ATV's, walked with the local ancient tribe who taught us about getting water from roots, they played games and it was a very moving experience (and a privilege) to be with them. My son in law smoked tobacco from their bone pipe ha ha....
I'm not sure if my life will ever be complete if I can't get back there again. Just wonderful. The whole time I was there the song by the Eagles was playing in my head.....
"And I want to sleep with you in the desert tonight with a million stars all around" Yes, beginning to end we had a Peaceful Easy Feeling and it was SO painful to leave

Room Tip: Of the 6 tents, only a couple of them have Queen sized beds - otherwise it's twins. If this is a problem for you, better make a request.
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank RebeccaW803
Reviewed 11 September 2016

My husband and I traveled to San Camp in mid August 2016. We chose San Camp for a couple of reasons, but the primary reason being that we wanted to do the 2-night excursion Kubu Island [which is deep into the Makgadikgadi Pans].

First, I really love the white tents at San Camp... it is absolutely as gorgeous as the pictures indicate. It is almost as if you cannot take a bad picture of this place. The sunsets are to die for! The interiors of the common areas and the sleeping tents are beautifully furnished with found objects and beautiful furniture. There is no WiFi anywhere and no electric in the rooms, which at first might seem a little off-putting. But, after a few hours here, you really start to appreciate the solitude and lack of interruptions. We were able to charge our cameras in the main tent as needed.

The staff are another aspect of this camp that make the experience so incredible. Every staff member we encountered was incredibly service oriented and gracious. And, then, there was our guide, Super... it was as if Super was BORN to be a guide. I really appreciated the fact he was from Botswana and that he had an acute, almost innate sensitivity to the environment and local ecosystem. He knows the land (i.e. can drive 150km out into the pans with no GPS and know exactly where he is at all times) and the wildlife inside and out. A lot of people say that Botswana isn't where you go to see big game, but Super made sure that was not the case. We saw an abundance of large cats, elephants and, of course, meerkats. Another couple at the camp saw the elusive aardvark (we were too sleepy to stay out that late!). I simply cannot say enough great things about Super and the staff at San Camp.

As I mentioned before, we planned our trip around the Kubu Island excursion. In this excursion, you drive an ATV out deep into the salt pans and experience the beautiful serenity of pure nothingness. Uncharted Africa has a beautiful area under the baobab trees that serves as a base camp where we slept, showered and had breakfast/dinner. Every aspect of the trip was carefully planned so that we had all of the comforts of San Camp while out in the salt pans: hot showers, warm beds and three course meals. During the day we ventured out Kubu Island, which is a magical outcrop of rocks in the middle of the shimmering salt pans.

We also had a beautiful afternoon walk with the San people... they were incredibly hospitable and industrious. They showed us how they survived without water for long periods of time, how to find a scorpion, how to trap a guinea fowl and many other things. I love that Uncharted Africa works closely with the San people to bring their culture to the people visiting their camps.

I can't say enough great things about San Camp, Super and Uncharted Africa - they are truly top notch and committed to delivering once-in-a-lifetime experiences. You will not regret choosing this camp.

1  Thank nycitygal_10002
Reviewed 10 September 2016

we booked this camp to see the habituated meerKats which did not disappoint but there was so much more. From the beauty of the pan to large herds of wildebeest lions, cheetah. The stars were magnificent. The visit i the bush people was special. The accommodations, hospitality, meals all superb

Room Tip: Luxury tent camping in the Pan. If they offer an overnight in the wild,seize it. Sleeping under the stars in the Pan was exceptional. .