“Coffee Break”

Got a photo?
Add it.
Roger Young Gallery and Coffee Shop
Reviewed 3 June 2017

We only had time for a quick coffee stop, but it was lovely, and the carrot and pineapple cake was outstanding!

Reviewed 9 March 2017

I have stayed at this little gem a number of times. Roger and Phyllis greet all as friends and provide sustenance for the body and the soul.

On separate occasions, it has been quite remarkable the people one meets on the coffee shop stoep - tame birds, musicians from Hawaii, vets who have worked in the area, artists, writers.
The tranquillity and beauty of the place blows me away.

Reviewed 29 April 2016

Not my first visit and certainly not my last - Roger and Phyllis are wonderful hosts! Great place, great hosts, great art and great food!

Reviewed 3 April 2015

I just can't get enough of it.....The quiet the simplicity, the owners, everything was the authentic non commercial South African break away. Even just for one night.

The Roger Young Gallery has an attached historical apartment, which Roger and Phyllis rent out and have restored so well. It is self catering and when you've packed out your car and settled in, it feels like you have arrived home....all the facilities are modern, you have a wonderfully big working fridge, coffee and condiments, warm water, ball-and-claw tub with hand shower. Microwave, stoep, braai. Your every need is catered for. The bed linen wasn't white, but, then that would take away from this little comfy nest. Everything is clean, Phyllis even made sure for very cold nights you have a hot bag that you warm in the microwave for cold feet.

The originality of the little house has been maintained...you can make a fire inside on very cold nights or go for drives in the mountains with Rodger...watching the sunsets, meeting the local farming community, even joining their celebrations...The apartment does not have television, but that's not the point you've come to this place.

We read about the Gallery and accommodation in the Sunday Times and called Rodger. My boyfriend had a feeling we had to go, so we made a road trip of it......

Rodger Young is a fantastic photographer and so is my boyfriend (ballet, dance movement), so they immediately clicked and we made friends we will never forget. We will definitely return to this heaven away from all the hustle and bustle.

Phyllis Midlane (who is a well knows Costumier in South Africa) absolutely throws her heart into saving energy and using all green, organic and natural ways to cook and grow plants and food. There is so much one can learn from this gorgeous lady(ex- South African Ballet dancer). They welcomed us so warmly, she made us an unforgettable dinner(which you have to ask very nicely for as they don't normally do this) with veggies from her garden, veggies they also sell along with indigenous plants. She also made us breakfast (Again something she didn't have to do), set in their Garden.....under the old oak, whispering in a slightly cool February breeze, everything was kept hot with knitted and padded ingenious fitted covers ( this she also makes herself).

What a humbling experience, it made me realise once again what a wasteful society the hustle and bustle world has created, we could be almost as self sufficient as these beautiful people. This is the real world.

I can scarcely imagine not going back....though I'm a little hesitant sharing this experience in case too many people want go and we don't get the chance to go again. It's like a little secret I will hold onto forever.

1  Thank Sháni H
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We came here by Mountain-bike and found a little paradise with Roger in residence who welcomed us sweat soaked strangers like friends. The salad was freshly plucked from the garden and the lemonade home made. Add the gallery and the quietness of the place and you don't want to leave anymore.
Marianne+Reinhold, Vienna, Austria