All reviews bantam roost fresh eggs richard spera willow tree the perfect host consummate host feeding the chickens delicious snacks antipasti slow down each morning goat cheese home away from home beautiful space hen house homemade treats magical place
Reviewed 22 December 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Bantam Roost casita of Casa Gallina for four nights in November/December. The pictures on the website are a true representation of the charm and warmth that we found, both in the casita and with the owner, Richard. Richard is a wonderful host, bringing homemade baked goods, eggs, and fresh firewood during the day. He was also very responsive to any issues that popped up.
Our favorite evening activity was to sit by the roaring kiva while sipping local wines.
If you are looking for a place to relax and decompress, Taos and Casa Gallina are great choices. We will go back on our next visit to New Mexico.

Room Tip: People with mobility issues should be aware that the stairway to the second floor of the particular casita we stayed at (Bantam Roost) is a bit steep.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2012

Coming from the busy, rushed New York- life, I had such a beautiful, relaxing experience at Casa Gallina. The casita is decorated beautifully, and has the warm, cozy atmosphere that makes you feel welcome and at home instantly. The beautifully kept garden, the chickens and the attentive and caring host were like the icing on the cake! Hoping to come back as soon as possible! Can only recommend this..

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 November 2012

When we first visited Taos I did my usual research to find the very best place to stay. We definitely made the right choice. There isn't any place that could compare to Casa Galina, and as sad as we were to leave we knew we would return. Two years later we did just that! We arrived at our favorite casita, Leghorn to find the delicious tapas, wine, fruit, cookies, and fresh eggs waiting for us. The room was just as nice as we remembered even better. When Richard walked in the back screen door it was as if we had never left. He is quite charming and makes you feel so welcomed. We couldn't wait to see the girls (hens) outside and of course we always made sure to prepare a delicious plate for them with leftover vegetables and fruit in appreciation for their gift to us each morning. We loved having a fire each night and in the morning. There was always plenty of pinon wood outside our door. My husband Charles was happy to play the guitar that was thoughtfully placed in our room! We also delighted in making a lunch from the beautiful garden during our stay. All of the reviews agree this is a little slice of heaven and the attention to details are perfect making each casita special. Richard thinks of his guest every need and goes above and beyond to make sure they are comfortable and well taken care of. His suggestions for restaurants and activities are the best. This trip we had a marvelous adventure hiking with Llamas! I should add that the location is wonderful because you feel secluded from town and yet close to everything there.
The best compliment we can give is to say we look forward to visiting Taos again for no other particular reason than to stay at Casa Galina.
Thank you Richard!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank On-our-way149
Reviewed 8 November 2012

We ranged in age from nine to seventy, but all enjoyed the beauty and serenity of Casa Gallina. Since we were celebrating a birthday, I cooked dinner for eight using the kitchen pots, pans, and dishes, which were adequate. I did miss having a dishwasher, though, for the cleaning up. All in all, a darling place, with a ditch running though for the children to play in, and chickens to distract everyone from family dynamics.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Nancy B
Reviewed 5 November 2012

My wife and I had the privilege of staying in the Leghorn Casita for the first three nights of our honeymoon.

This is the best place we have ever stayed hands down. Richard truly is the consummate host. He appears to think of everything, and his recommendations for things to do in the area were spot on. Our first night, he asked us what we had planned for dinner, and then called a great restaurant in town to make a reservation for us on the spot.

The Leghorn Casita is unbelievable. All of the furnishings seemed to be meticulously picked out. There's a wood fireplace with ample firewood provided, a walkout to the backyard with patio chairs, kitchenette with plenty of spices and cooking utensils, rain shower. I could go on and on. I've never been more relaxed on a vacation.

Bottom line; STAY HERE. You'll love it.

Room Tip: Leghorn Casita is absolutely perfect for couples
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple