“Great gluten free pizza”
Review of Mondo Italiano

Mondo Italiano
Ranked #37 of 134 Restaurants in Taos
Price range: US$10 - US$15
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 29 April 2018

I've had the gluten free pizza 3 times now, and it's been great every time. To me, the sign of a great gluten free pizza is one that you wouldn't be able to tell apart from a regular crust in a blind taste test (no weird texture or weird taste). This one does not disappoint. It's not cheapest pizza in town (a small Greek with the gluten free crust runs around $24), but it is really good pizza.

1  Thank AZViajera

Reviewed 25 April 2018 via mobile

Wow... was this a most welcome surprise! This is a dish I love to get and I was not disappointed ordering it here. The pasta...perfect al dente. The pancetta, crisp throughout. The light cream sauce, heavenly. I ordered a half order and almost literally licked the bowl! Fabulous Italian wine list. I'd definitely return!

1  Thank WYSOKC
Reviewed 17 April 2018

Ordered a 16 oz draft beer. It came in a glass that was the same size as the glass that held my friends 12 bottle of beer. Both filled to the same level. Waitress assured me mine held 16 oz of beer. Clueless. When check came she charged me for a 20 oz beer. No apology or attempt to make up for problem.
Bottom half of my dish of lasagne was "cold". Bad microwave job!
Had to ask 3 times for promised basket of bread for the table.
After all these years you'd think the owner would get it right. Won't return. Bad attitudes.

Jennifer D, Owner at Mondo Italiano, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2018

Wow! I can't believe you are still going on about the beer. I explained to you and offered to measure your Peroni glass. I told you the beer glass was 14 ounces, which is common. I also told you I would happily refund you the 65 cent difference. You said everything was fine and I believed you. You even thanked me for coming over.

The bread you asked for was still in the oven baking. My busser brought it over as soon as it was out of the oven. I bake my bread fresh from scratch.

I do not microwave my food. You were served an exceptionally large piece of lasagna that obviously needed a little more time in the hot oven. My apology.

As much as I appreciate all of my customers it is sometimes best to part ways.

P.S. Maybe you should get out of the other side of the bed.

Reviewed 14 April 2018 via mobile

Had dinner with my sister. Her eggplant Parmesan had almost raw eggplant, no breading. Very nice waitress Karen, took it back. She told us the owner was in the restaurant and that she had never seen anything like it. It took about 20 mins for the new dish (properly cooked) to come out. During that time no one offered to keep my dish warm, bring her a free app or glass of wine or in anyway compensate us for the error. Although we saw someone come and greet the folks at the table next to us, the owner, nor anyone else from management ever came by to apologize. The food in general (even once actually cooked) was mediocre, and other than our nice waitress, the customer service was appalling.

1  Thank Bacchavelliandreams
Jennifer D, Owner at Mondo Italiano, responded to this reviewResponded 15 April 2018

I apologize for your sister's eggplant, which actually was not uncooked. When my kitchen help prepped the eggplant earlier that day they failed to first dust the eggplant with flour and then dip in batter and then breadcrumbs. The simple step of dusting the eggplant in flour allows the batter and breadcrumbs to adhere to the food. As I had mentioned to your server this had never happened before. I immediately went to the kitchen to remake the dish for your sister and re-bread all of the remaining eggplant to ensure this would not happen again. As each dish is cooked to order in my kitchen, and it was a Friday night, I also apologize for the 15-20 minute wait it took to remake the dish for your sister. When I asked the server how your table was I was told everything was fine and your sister told the server how delicious the eggplant was. I am remiss for not buying you an appetizer or a glass of wine. I was very concerned about the eggplant in my kitchen as it is one of my top selling entrees. I am happy to buy you or your sister a glass of wine the next time you visit us. I do not understand where in this event you saw the customer service as appalling? Was it because you did not get something for free?

Reviewed 27 March 2018

Went for a quick lunch at 12:30pm. It took a half hour to place our order. The waitress was alone, trying to serve 10-12 tables including two 6-tops. Salad was okay but not better than Subway. The Penne Primavera was pretty average. Can't imagine why people go there. Save yourself some disappointment and try elsewhere.

1  Thank peter g

Guests come to my restaurant because the service is wonderful and the food is delicious. I do not have a fast food restaurant. Each of my dishes are made to order. The day you dined was the first day my new server was on the floor and the restaurant filled up very quickly in a very short period of time. Several of my regular customers commented on how well my server handled the immediate onslaught of guests. Regarding your food, I have not eaten at Subway so I cannot compare our salads. My penne primavera is a very popular and well enjoyed dish. I am sorry you thought it was just average. If you had conveyed that to your server I would have been happy to remake it for you. Perhaps you were just having a difficult day.