Highlight - hard to pick one but I think the last morning safari while standing on a termite mound, surrounded by Impala, wilderbeast and koudo, watching the sky change through that stunning sunrise - no sounds of civilisation, not chasing a sighting - just nature and feeling it stretch out in all directions around me - Top of the World!
What an experience of a life time which I never wanted to end. Sounds corny but for us there was no negatives. But boy do the positives add up.
Cabin - roomy, plunge pool, day bed in the shade, sun beds you can move around. HUGE bed with mosquito nets - very romantic. Spacious bathroom. Beautifully appointed. Just don't leave your front door unlocked or the baboons might come by and visit. Food - the variety of food and the ways it is served means personal space and also social gatherings. The Chef was creative and a definite asset . Every meal was great in the variety, freshness and flavors. The baking was also amazing and hard to resist. Drinks - when they say local drinks were included I wasn't sure what that would mean but the wine served was delicious and from a stunning South African wine area near Cape Town. Dining area - beautifully presented, great view, comfortable and the fire was great place to relax with a drink post dinner for a chat. Small number of cabins therefore small number of guests and no children meant a quiet lodge which added to relaxing environment. Spa - Do yourself a favour and have a massage! Great way to relax during the day.
Staff - Being teamed up with a tracker, ranger and waiter (their terms) for the whole of your stay meant the opportunity to really get to know them and our team are awesome. Rodney - eyes of an eagle and a quiet smile but when he says 'get back in the truck' at the sound of a leopard calling close by, boy did we obey and the hunt was on. Jaben - knowledge shared as freely as his jokes and not just about the Big 5 animals but the small ones and the bush in general. Their genuine love the area and the animals shone through. Reinas - what a smile and genuine desire to make sure we were happy (above and beyond), could be relied upon to get you a drink (remembering what you liked) and ensure we enjoyed the stunning desserts. Befriended, pampered and spoilt is how I felt by these 3. Honestly all the staff were warm, friendly, helpful and ready for a chat but not intrusive.
Animals - Everywhere! We did 10 safari drives and every one was different and filled with stories I think about when I look at the silly number of photos I took. June, which is winter, is a great time to go. It is the dry season so apparently the reduced access to water means more animals go to the same places and thinner vegetation so easier to spot. Was amazing how use to the vehicles the animals are. This meant we were able to get close and yet most were not affected in any way, curious but definitely not distressed. We went not needing to see anything in particular and left haven fallen in love with the bush and having a special place in my heart for Impala!
Do yourself a favor, go relax, be spoilt and get excited about the animals and bush in this amazing place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Simbambili Game Lodge is a highly individualised destination for the discerning traveller located in the Sabi Sand Game Reserve, which is part of the Greater Kruger National Park. Set in magnificent trees along the meandering Manyeleti River, with views over an extensive savannah grassland, that teems with wildlife visiting an ever popular water hole. Sophisticated yet simple, each suite has spectacular views whether from the unique en-suite bathrooms, outside salas or individual private plunge pools. Guests are encouraged to enjoy the extraordinary and unique wildlife of Africa, whether it is your choice to linger at a close encounter with lion, leopard, elephant, rhino and buffalo or to be amazed by the extensive array of birds and insects, or simply relax in the Sanctuary Spa. Your ranger and tracker team will astound you with their ability to track big five game, either on foot or from an open safari vehicle. The amazing safari experience is complimented by elegant cuisine, a selection of fine wines andthe warmth of true African hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your Simbambili Game Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Simbambili Game Hotel Sabi Sand Game Reserve
- Hotel Simbambili Game
- Simbambili Game Lodge Sabi Sand Game Reserve, South Africa