“Neighborhood was rougher than reviews indicated. We left.”
Review of The Big Chile Inn

The Big Chile Inn
Ranked #21 of 34 Hotels in Las Cruces
Reviewed 4 July 2016

When we arrived things looked okay for an affordable place to spend the night while passing through Las Cruces. After driving around the side and back of the facility looking for the closest place to park near our room, the motel looked rougher. Maybe there was some work being done in back and maybe it was just a mess. I'm not sure on that.

Once we got back to the front of the motel there were literally police cars everywhere. We counted a half dozen or more cars and there were officers and a police dog doing whatever they were doing and walking around apparently looking for someone. It looked like a scene from an episode of one of those "Cops" type shows.

We thought about it over dinner (while researching another hotel) and decided we didn't want to stay in this area, so we turned in our keys and found a better place to stay. It's affordable, so leaving didn't cost us much when we weren't offered a refund after explaining that this place just didn't seem like a safe place to spend the night.

Room Tip: Rooms along the front of the motel seemed somewhat less sketchy. Around the sides and back looked l...
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CharlesFender
davidgLC, Previous manager at The Big Chile Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2016

The hotel was recently sold and is under new management. The new management will respond, as the listing is transitioned to their control.

Reviewed 24 June 2016

the sign in front displays $142 weekly but they tell me that the monthly rate is way more plus deposit , this place is a total scam STAY AWAY! just another rippoff scam in west las cruces , DO NOT STAY HERE YOU WILL REGRET IT THEY WILL RIP YOU OFF!

Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
2  Thank TJ S
davidgLC, Previous Manager at The Big Chile Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2016

Reviewed 5 May 2016

I am a regular now. They won me over with a great price, a comfortable quiet room, and they never forgot my name. Davis and Crew were always cheerful, friendly and helpful. I travel with communications gear and extras. Internet service was always available and dependable. The rooms clean and comfortable, and they always asked if I needed anything special. They always insisted in checking my room with me, always leaving a fresh, cold bottle of water or soda. It's nice to be remembered!

Room Tip: Call ahead if there's something you need. They care.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 April 2016

I stayed at the Big Chili for 2 nights. The room was clean, comfortable, and surprisingly large. The staff, especially Elina, went out of their way to accommodate. I also enjoyed the garden area with pavilion and coy pond. It is evident that the staff takes pride in the colorful history of the motel. The only negative was the intermittent wifi connection. Great place at a great value for solo or family trips.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 April 2016

I have to tell you, in all honesty, that I normally travel with a travel trailer and stay in it at campgrounds. However, this was a last minute trip and my objective was to find hotels that offered inexpensive accomodations (trying to get as close to camp site prices as possible).

In Las Cruces, I was going to spend two days. I checked on line and this hotel came up and from what I read, I was interested and the price was right. It took me a while to find it, as I got into town late at night and my GPS was acting up. But find it I did.

When I pulled into the parking lot, I thought, "You have got to be kidding, right?" There was this huge ceramic/plastic chile in the front parking lot. It was adorned with Christmas tree lights. The hotel? Looked pretty average.

So, inside we go. Holy moly. The place is about as ecclectic as you could imagine. Behind the desk is an Australian named Dave. Same as me. He is very nice and he actually takes me to my room, which is located in an interior courtyard. He makes sure everything in the room is working correctly and he tells me that breakfast starts at 7:00 in the morning.

The room was very nice and the bed was a "I don't remember shutting my eyes" experience The WI-FI in the room worked to a t and I was able to get some work done that first night.

In the morning I got to check out the courtyard garden. Wow. There were paths through a garden of desert plants, two gas grills for guests, a gazebo to lounge in, a fish pond, a swimming pool and statues of "chiles" as well as some sombrero clad napping people statues.

I had breakfast. Hey, cereal and toast. But, the coffee was good and Dave didn't mind me filling up my thermos for the day trip.

I would check this out and it was a lot of fun. You won't be sorry.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled solo