“Now that is a Tamale”

Teresas Tamales
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Cleveland
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 1 July 2016

Was working in the area when a local rancher suggested we stop in for a quick bite. I was apprehensive at first as the outside was less than inviting. I walked in and a table of locals looked at me as if I had claimed jumped, then when the Rancher came in behind me, everything was A-Okay. The lady at the counter recommended her special Tamale, so I relented and was I ever so glad as to follow her suggestion. The Rancher ordered his regular, a ginormous burrito, he said it was his absolute favorite place to eat in the Pecos Valley.

Reviewed 23 March 2016

We were at Lambert's, another great place in Taos, when a couple from Colorado asked our knowledgeable bartender for the best place to get tamales. As we have been back to Taos and Santa Fe a number of times, I also wanted to know the answer. The ones we had tasted so far had not been exceptional. His favorite was a (very) little place that, in a previous life, had been a food truck. If coming from Taos, it will take you about an hour on 5
Highway 518; however, the drive is beautiful and there are many places to pull off the road, safely, The views are outstanding. Right after passing the Mora Independent School District, on the right, and immediately after the Number 33 mile marker, is Teresa's Tamales. It is worth the drive! The place only has about 6-7 tables. My husband and I both ordered the pork tamales. I ordered 2; however, I would have been happy with one. They are quite large. For the very first time, I really enjoyed both the red and green chiles. I asked for the calabasita, as a side dish (zucchini squash) that was sauteed with corn. It was also very good. These are the best tamales that I have enjoyed in Taos. We brought a dozen back with us to enjoy later.

Reviewed 28 September 2015

We were passing by between Taos and Santa Fe on the back way. Saw Elk and found tamales. They were excellent cheap and beautiful. Bring a cooler and ice to take some along for the trip.

1  Thank NomadWPa
Reviewed 15 August 2015 via mobile

I have not tried any items except the tamales...they are DELICIOUS!!! Whenever I go up from Las Vegas I bring home a dozen. Not too much masa and plenty of spicy pork filling with red chili. These are the best I've eaten and never disappoint!

1  Thank DOUG H
Reviewed 11 July 2015

It's a stand at the counter and order kind of a place, with seating inside, and, weather permitting, outside as well.

Tamale plates are excellent, but your choices are pork and beef, no chicken. Burritos are made to your specs: a list of ingredients is posted and you choose from there.

The restaurant is old, small, and clean, showing pride of ownership and the counter staff are pleasant, if a little hurried.

It's not fancy, but well worth the stop.

1  Thank Bridget B