Open today: Closed
Review Highlights
Fantastic day out!

I arrived at 8.30am for the market tour which was interesting we got to try some local fruits with... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
311EmilyH311
via mobile
Awesome cooking class

My husband and I had high expectations for this cooking class and were not disappointed. We went... read more

Reviewed 3 October 2018

from US$48.00
from US$40.00
from US$139.00
More Info
All reviews cooking school denpasar markets filet market tour indonesian cooking poultry an eye opener local spices spice mixes seminyak square chocolate martini his team delicious cocktails food market history lesson recipe book curry paste
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Amazing class. Yellow, Orange and Red Bumbu, Chicken Sate, Dissecting ducks and chicken - Cocktail and a Market visit

Date of experience: April 2018
1  Thank Denise B
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

I booked this class with my partner after hearing great things from friends who attended the class based in Sanur.
Upon arrival we went to local markets in Kuta where the locals purchase fruit/vegetables, meat and spices. The smell was quite overwhelming. I have a particularly strong stomach after spending a lot of time traveling through Asia however the meat and fish market in particular had most of our group dry-retching at the stench of unrefrigerated poultry and the scent of warm blood permeating the air. I highly recommend taking some smelling salts, incense or Vick’s if you are particularly sensitive to smells.
We were then taken back to The Spicery in Seminyak Square for the cooking class. We were in a large class which made it impossible for everyone to participate in hands-on cooking. Most of the day was watching Chef Dean and his team cook. We mostly chopped chili and garlic for the spice pastes and that was it. We watched how to chop up duck and chicken.
Following the time in the kitchen we went back to the bar and listened to Dean and his staff tell stories about origins of spices etc. it was certainly interesting however I could see other people losing interest as the talk went for over an hour and everybody was starving hungry and hot. Then we were able to sample the foods which was the best part. Delicious dishes. Was offered about 2-3 cocktails across duration of class (from 8.30am to 4pm). It was a good day out but I’m not sure I would be in a rush to rebook next time I am in Bali.

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

My partner and I attended the Balinese cooking class. The market was an eye opener (especially the chicken) but it’s good to connect to where your food is coming from.

The cooking was fun and informative with great cocktails and A1 service all day.

Very interesting to learn about spices and amazing eating food that we helped prepare.

One suggestion, don’t eat for about 3 days prior because you will end up rolling out of here with your belly full lol

Date of experience: March 2018
Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

We really loved our day cooking. The whole experience was well thought out and ran very smoothly.
If you are short on time skip the market visit as it's a long bus ride and if you have been to an Asian market before, probably not worth it.
The cooking class itself was brilliant. We prepared all the ingredients from scratch (crab, chicken, fish, curry paste) whilst sipping on cocktails and listening to chef Dean's instructions, stories and information about the ingredients.
You then move downstairs and get to enjoy more cocktails while viewing cooking demonstrations and more interesting info.
Lastly you sit down to an absolute feast!

Can not recommend this experience enough. The best cooking class I have done.

Date of experience: February 2018
1  Thank Havewemet
Reviewed 2 February 2018

Today first of Feb was our first day spent in seminyak. Dean Fisher's cooking classes come up as the number 1 cooking class in Seminyak for a very good reason... He was charming, informative, organised, fun and the day was fabulous. We started with a trip to the markets (the usual fare) but when we got back we realized why this was going to be a very different experience. We put on our aprons and whilst we were being shown our first lesson on spices we got to our chopping boards and there was our first cocktail of the day waiting for us. We started to chop and learn a few tips on how to prepare chicken and duck, make our spice pastes and learnt everything you needed to know or understand about Balinese cooking. The class didn't finish until about 2 pm, however by then I think I counted 3 more cocktails including the most delicious chocolate martini and we had already sampled some of our fare... Then low and behold we realised there was a fully catered lunch for us as well including champagne and another cocktail. The food was amazing, I haven't eaten so much food on a cooking class ever and this was my 59th class I have taken. We finished off our stuffed faces with the chefs home made Gelati ( we were shown the facilities earlier in the day) and dam...i just couldn't fit the champagne in. What a fantastic day. Thanks Dean, I will be telling everyone I know who is coming to Bali to take your class. Congratulations on finding the prefect mix of immersion and information. If I can replicate what we had for lunch today my friends and family will have also had the benefit of this wonderful experience. Thank you so much.

Date of experience: February 2018