“Informative and fun, hands on experience”

Chef Dean Cooking Class
Ranked #1 of 13 Food & Drink in Seminyak
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: An exciting day of tours and cooking with choice of South Asian, Indonesian or Balinese cooking classes. Starting with tours to fishing village and traditional market. coffee tasting, spice talk, hands on cooking with a wonderful exotic lunch beers cocktail inclusive. Bon Appetite, By Chef Dean
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We had a fantastic day today. My husband, 14 yo son and my older mother enjoyed a terrific day full of new experiences . We were driven to the main market in Denpasar where we were introduced to a variety of local produce before heading back to the cooking school where we were given a cocktail and taken upstairs to the kitchen where the routine for the day was explained to us. Were made a variety of spice mixes and learnt a lot about all the spices which we would be using and then uses then in a variety of different dishes. We learnt and were able to cut up a chicken and a duck and how to mix dry spices to make various seasoning to add to dishes which we made. After a number of cocktails and cold Bintang we sat down to eat the fruits of our labour. My only criticism would be that we didn’t eat until after 3pm. All up a fabulous experience and a very amusing history of the spice islands. A very interesting day and we came away so much more knowledgeable.highly recommend

All reviews
"learn how"
in 9 reviews
"learning how"

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

Amazing class. Yellow, Orange and Red Bumbu, Chicken Sate, Dissecting ducks and chicken - Cocktail and a Market visit

1  Thank Denise B
Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

I booked this class with my partner after hearing great things from friends who attended the class based in Sanur.
Upon arrival we went to local markets in Kuta where the locals purchase fruit/vegetables, meat and spices. The smell was quite overwhelming. I have a particularly strong stomach after spending a lot of time traveling through Asia however the meat and fish market in particular had most of our group dry-retching at the stench of unrefrigerated poultry and the scent of warm blood permeating the air. I highly recommend taking some smelling salts, incense or Vick’s if you are particularly sensitive to smells.
We were then taken back to The Spicery in Seminyak Square for the cooking class. We were in a large class which made it impossible for everyone to participate in hands-on cooking. Most of the day was watching Chef Dean and his team cook. We mostly chopped chili and garlic for the spice pastes and that was it. We watched how to chop up duck and chicken.
Following the time in the kitchen we went back to the bar and listened to Dean and his staff tell stories about origins of spices etc. it was certainly interesting however I could see other people losing interest as the talk went for over an hour and everybody was starving hungry and hot. Then we were able to sample the foods which was the best part. Delicious dishes. Was offered about 2-3 cocktails across duration of class (from 8.30am to 4pm). It was a good day out but I’m not sure I would be in a rush to rebook next time I am in Bali.

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

My partner and I attended the Balinese cooking class. The market was an eye opener (especially the chicken) but it’s good to connect to where your food is coming from.

The cooking was fun and informative with great cocktails and A1 service all day.

Very interesting to learn about spices and amazing eating food that we helped prepare.

One suggestion, don’t eat for about 3 days prior because you will end up rolling out of here with your belly full lol

See more reviews
Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

We really loved our day cooking. The whole experience was well thought out and ran very smoothly.
If you are short on time skip the market visit as it's a long bus ride and if you have been to an Asian market before, probably not worth it.
The cooking class itself was brilliant. We prepared all the ingredients from scratch (crab, chicken, fish, curry paste) whilst sipping on cocktails and listening to chef Dean's instructions, stories and information about the ingredients.
You then move downstairs and get to enjoy more cocktails while viewing cooking demonstrations and more interesting info.
Lastly you sit down to an absolute feast!

Can not recommend this experience enough. The best cooking class I have done.

1  Thank Havewemet