All reviewscalamariportuguese steaksea viewsardinesan institutioncape townstar hotelkingklipenjoy the viewstayed for nightsamazing viewscape pointfantastic locationtable mountainminute drivepeakbay
Reviewed 19 October 2016

Nice and clean hotel, everything worked well, nice staff. Nothing special, but okay for the price and solid. Rooms to the back have direct in front a hill, but the hotel is anyway just for sleep and eat and not to spend a lot of time there (althought the pool has a nice view) and the bar/restaurant are good.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Florian B
Reviewed 18 October 2016 via mobile

One again staying here and they are continuously improving. This time the restaurant has been nicely refurbished. Job well done, kept the old wooden floor and made it look so nice. Have a run up Chapman's peak - one of the most amazing views in Cape Town. The velocity gym next door is literally on,y 50 m away. Day passes are ZAR 100. The rooms are still perfect, though this time I got a bit of the darker once facing the mountain. Anyhow, sleeping like a baby after extensive workouts and a nice glass of Iona white ;-)

Stayed: October 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank Frank H
Reviewed 22 September 2016 via mobile

John gave us the best reception we have ever received at a hotel. Knowledgeable, helpful, friendly, on the ball! Our room was lovely, clean, spacious, well appointed. We were very impressed and definitely recommend Chapmans peak hotel.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 September 2016 via mobile

When I review a hotel or restaurant on TripAdvisor, I do it mostly with good intentions. This is no exception. This hotel has 7 star location and the potential to be a major tourist attraction.
However, as is the case with most of Cape Town, there is a lackluster approach to marketing, service and exploitation of potential. Nothing is wrong but it could be so much better. The sea view room I've been occupying for a week has all the amenities of a 5 star hotel. It has a beautiful interior but there is a leak above the mirror in the bathroom, there are flat batteries in the remote control for the TV and after extending my stay from 7 days to 10 days everything seems to be so-so.
Let's start at the reception- very friendly, helpful staff but... I asked for a reference to a hamburger outlet and the person at reception was clueless. I started searching on my phone and he printed out (willingly) what was meant to be a list of alternative dining options in Houtbay- it was a complete waste of paper. Not only was it not the print friendly version of the diningout page I was viewing on my iPhone but the printed copy was a result of a toner cartridge run out and he was none the wiser.
The restaurant is known for prawns and calamari- I have also tried the Portuguese steak, all of which were absolutely scrumptious. The problem is a lack of creativity on the menu; the same vegetables are served night after night and even the staff seem to be frustrated about this uninspiring menu.
I have opted for lunch and dinner at Dunes and RT's Grill, both of which I will review individually as well. The menu at the hotel killed my appetite for true 'local' cuisine.
Maintenance at the hotel seems to be ongoing. The parking area is resembling a construction site with building materials scattered on both levels. A lethargic security person made me wait on a few occasions before opening the security gate. The last incident occurred late at night. There is also ongoing work on the lights inside the hotel with wires hanging, noise in the daytime and fluorescents exposed in the lifts. No progress noted during my stay.
Room service seems to spiral downward as well, the longer you stay the less attentive they become. From two bottles of water a day, to one. If you prefer still water to sparkling water, you have to air a daily request. From two bathroom mats to one, from two face cloths to one, etc. Today the rubbish was not completely cleared and the ash tray on the balcony is ignored.
I get slightly upset when I see a place with potential being mismanaged. There are hundreds of cyclists and runners going up Chapmans on the weekend. Why this place has not started a pit-stop or bar for these people is beyond me. I think of Bar Nevada in Rome catering for riders and runners and I realise this hotel should be crawling with patrons. Instead the rooms are empty, the restaurant quiet.
Overall the hotel doesn't seem to be child friendly. It is separated from the beach by a single road. The gym is about 200m distance across the road. The path of the wonderful Chapmans Peak is starting at the entrance to the hotel.
I have been driving to Simonstown, Melkbos, Blouberg and Camps Bay with two long trips on Chapmans these past few days. It is not difficult to find the hotel but some navigation systems might try lead you up Military Road - then you've gone too far; the hotel lies further back. Within reach of supermarkets and next to a good liquor outlet and a deli, the hotel is also a stone's throw from the beautiful Ou Kaapseweg with the Silvermine hiking trail and Noordhoek beach at the end of Chappies. You have a sea view from your balcony, bed and bath.
Price per night is reasonable but you cannot reach the airport via familiar routes if one of the marathons or cycling races are taking place.
Two hours from the magnificent Paarl and Wellington area. Three hours to Langebaan and the exquisite West Coast flowers in September.
The weather can be cold and windy but use sunscreen in any event because the sun will still sting.
Take the road to Camps Bay for breathtaking views and sunsets.
As I've said before, 7 star location and potential.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank JennieQ44
Reviewed 2 September 2016

Booked this room as part of a honeymoon package, so booked the penthouse. Massive room with breathtaking views and all the facilities you would want. Breakfast is OK but may need to think about healthier options such as low fat milk

Room Tip: You have a choice of mountain or sea view so is a preference thing
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple