“Very Good “American” Chinese Cusine”

Samuel's & Chef Chan Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 112 Restaurants in Voorhees
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed 27 February 2018 via mobile

Let me start out by stating that my reference Chinese restaurant is in Philadelphia’s Chinatown called Sang Kee. It’s more Chinese cuisine for Chinese. That being said when we were in South Jersey and wanted to take some of my family out for a Chinese dinner I checked reviews and Samuel’s and Chef Chan was highly rated.

We went on a Sunday night. It was early so we had no trouble getting a table. It’s a smaller room with a cozy atmosphere. The tables are topped with white table cloths which is nice. The staff/owners are super nice. Our waiter, an older gentleman, was a consummate professional. Prompt and courteous as could be.

On being seated crispy noodles, duck sauce and hot mustard were brought to the table. This reminded me of the old days when my folks would take us kids out for Chinese.

I had wonton soup and the shrimp with lobster sauce. It also came with pork fried rice but also had the option of white or brown rice.

The soup broth was excellent. The wonton a bit thick and chewy.

The main dish consisted of 4 large, fresh shrimp in a nicely flavored lobster sauce. Not too heavy on corn starch to thicken it. It was a large portion but I was hungry and ate it all.

After dinner we were served fortune cookies and canned chunk pineapple.

It is my opinion that this is more of an Americanized menu rather than one tailored to the Chinese palette. That being said we left satiated and full.

If you are in the area and don’t want to trek to Philly I recommend Samuel’s and Chef Chan.

One more thing. They have a small sushi bar. If you have read my other reviews you will see I love sushi and sashimi. I didn’t try it here.

Reviewed 13 February 2018

We met up with family members for a Saturday night dinner. The seating is limited but we were able to get a table right away. The place was filled when we left. The food was good, the portions were big and the service was very friendly. The menu had plenty of choices including sushi. We would go back if in this area again

Reviewed 9 November 2017

We enjoy eating at Samuel's. The food is good and the portions are large. The owner and his wife are friendly and know most of their regular customers by name.

Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

I was visiting my parents from Florida and we went here for dinner. Food was excellent, service was wonderful, and staff was super friendly. I really wish we had something like this in my area

Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

We live not far from Samuel’s and make it a point to get at least one dinner every two week. The people are super friendly and food is always great from the pepper steak to sweet and sour chicken. The sushi is excellent as well.