“Always great greek food!”

Black Olive Greek Cuisine
Reserve with OpenTable
Black Olive Greek Cuisine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 115 Restaurants in Voorhees
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 7 August 2018

My wife and I come here at least monthly if not more often. Their food is always very fresh with great flavors. My favorite dish is the Plaki, a fish dish with cod in a tomato and onion sauce that always has me using their delicious bread to soak it up. Wonderful chopped salad with feta and house dressing accompanies the meals. We have tried many of the appetizers and love especially the Saganaki. My wife has tried many items including the grilled shrimp and mixed grill, always leaving a clean plate as well. Don't miss their lemon potatoes or Greek fries! Prices are quite reasonable. BYOB. Enjoy!

Reviewed 19 June 2018

food is fresh , salads taste delicious and grilled foods are authentic
always consistent with reasonable prices and coupons available online

Reviewed 6 June 2018

My guest and I arrived around 7:00 PM on a Monday night and the host had the night off. After waiting for what felt like forever, may actually have been only about 5 minutes, a server told us we could take the table we wanted. It was quite a long wait for water, bread and wine glasses. I think the restaurant might not have been prepared for the group of about 30 guests who must have arrived about 15 minutes before us. No worries, we had no place else to go and once we had glasses for our wine, it really did not matter if things were slower than we normally expect at this restaurant.

We chose to start with the Taramosalata which never disappoints. Maybe a bit more grilled pita would be nice but this is a dish no one should pass up. My guest ordered the Shrimp Tourkolimano with the soup of the day. The Split Pea was divine. The shrimps were huge and lovely with a lemony flavor. My guest left nothing behind on her plate.

I ordered the Exotico and had no idea what to expect. The chunks of lamb were a bit dry and the cheese was over powering in flavor. Of course the phylio pastry was flaky and light. I was disappointed with the dish as the flavors fought with each other and the textures did not complement. I ate less than half and chose the take the rest home. I figured I could always toss it later if I did not want it the next day. I heated up the leftovers two nights later and they were fabulous. The flavors blended and while the pastry was no longer crispy, I loved the dish the second time around. I would only order this dish again if I was eating it the next day.

All and all, this is one of my very most favorite restaurants in the area and I recommend it to anyone who will listen. Yes, I will be back the next time I am in town.

1  Thank carpediemMMV
Reviewed 21 May 2018

Didn't notice anything on their website that indicated it was a BYOB restaurant. Would have done that if we had known. Disappointed that the saganaki was not served with the usual opa flaming at the table, but it was still good, although not served with pita. Gyro platters were excellent but could have used fewer fries and more tsatsiki and pita.

Reviewed 7 May 2018

We've been trying Mediterranean restaurants in preparation for a trip to Greece next summer, so when a native-Greek friend of mine recently recommended Black Olive's "authentically Greek" cuisine, it jumped to the top of our list.

To be fair, I have no way to assess the "authenticity" of our meal. We didn't opt for any of the traditional Greek dishes on the menu, and even if we had, I don't have an objective basis for evaluation. So my comments are purely as a diner who enjoys a variety of food and appreciates a well-prepared meal.

And our meal did get off to a good start. The Mixed Grill appetizer (a special of the day) was excellent, with tasty sausage, chicken souvlaki, lamb, "greek" fries, and an amazing cooked cheese. The salads that came next were less inspiring; the house dressing was light and tasty, but did little to help the smallish pile of shredded lettuce and rubbery cheese. Unfortunately, we were even less enthusiastic about our Grilled Seafood entrees. The portion struck us as small, with three medium-sized grilled shrimp (in their shells), three pieces of calamari, and a small pile of chopped octopus swimming in a sea of olive oil. Perhaps the comparison is unfair, but I couldn't help but think of the seafood mixed grill I often order at Devon in Philadelphia--of course, that wonderful dish comes at a much higher price point.

Indeed, one redeeming feature of Black Olive may be its prices. Most entrees are in the $20 (or less) range, so this is mid-range rather than fine dining. And the restaurant is very nice, quiet and clean, with a friendly staff. Still, the bottom line is the quality of the food; It's hardly a recommendation to say that the meal was so-so but not overpriced.

I am prepared to allow that I may have had a better experience had I opted for one of the more traditional Greek dishes, and I may return at some point to test that theory. But based on my first visit I can only give an "average" rating, though I wouldn't discourage others from giving Black Olive a try: your milage may vary.

1  Thank Chuck B