“Great Venue....not so great food”

Mexicali Blues Cafe
Ranked #46 of 127 Restaurants in Teaneck
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 7 March 2016

This is a great venue to go listen to live music, however if you want to eat, eat beforehand. Our food was cool to cold when it arrived and the waitress was usually no where to be found as it seemed she was the only one handling the entire restaurant. Drinks were tasty though.

Reviewed 17 February 2016

Have gone several times to watch our grandson play for the School of Rock in Waldwick,NJ. Incredible music from very talented kids. Food was just average Mexican.

Reviewed 11 May 2015

I've been here about 20 times, but eaten here only once. The crab cake was tasty. I had coffee in a French press, also good. But the music! The sound here is spectacular. The open mic night is always a treat. If you love good music, great sound and an easy commute, this is the spot.

Reviewed 3 May 2015

never having been, we didn't know what to expect. Had tickets to see James McMurtry and got tickets online. Decided last minute to make a reservation to eat as well. a very good thing I made too cuz this place was jammed. They seated us upstairs and we were glad. There are very few bar stools downstairs and most people stand. I am can't stand for 4 hours. Being up in the balcony was still a great view. Service was friendly and fast. Prices are a bit steep. House margarita is yummy but $7/pop so I didn't have many. Good food. Better than what the place looks like it would be service. We were both impressed w/ the presentation as well as the freshness/flavor of our dishes. Would go back for the right entertainment but not just to eat.

Reviewed 10 April 2015

The food here was average Tex-mex, not too pricey but definitely not what I'd call 'cheap'. Drinks were well priced at $7 for a classic margarita and around the same for a quality beer. The location is a little odd, I came specifically for a band otherwise I probably wouldn't have driven an hour north as there really isn't much else in the area.

The sound inside was decent, decor was lively and heavily Grateful Dead themed. The server was friendly and prompt, drinks were good. Almost too good for a Thursday night ;-)

Overall I would come back specifically to see a show - food is good enough that I would eat again but I doubt I'd go out of my way to have dinner there. The major selling point are the drinks and the entertainment.