“RUDE owner”

Cuisines: Persian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 27 April 2017

I stopped into Negeen for a late lunch after having recently moved form Los Angeles to Summit, NJ. I was glad to have a Persian restaurant nearby.

The owner attempted to seat me at the worst table in the restaurant, even though I was the ONLY customer. I asked to sit a different more comfortable table and the owner refused.

I left.

Not surprised to see so many negative reviews here, especially about the service and rude owner.

Reviewed 21 March 2017 via mobile

Neegen is toward the edge of downtown so doesn't get as much traffic. The restaurant is very cozy and the food is good. The owners are amazingly nice but could do a better job introducing new items on the menu.

Reviewed 2 December 2016

Delilcious Persian Cuisine, Addicted to Gourmeh Sabzi Stew. In past have enjoyed lamb chops. Love the appetizers - kashke bademjan (eggplant) and olive dish zeaton parvardeh. Cannot live without doogh (yogurt drink). i make my own, but never as good as here. Have eaten here many times before

Reviewed 8 May 2016

We had purchased a Groupon as we like ethnic food. We later read the reviews which strangely had many negative comments about the owners. When we arrived, my wife told the hostess (daughter) that we had a Groupon and she said no problem. When we went to pay, the owner came out and said no Groupon as it was the da before Mother's Day and we should have mentioned the coupon in advance. We explained that we had and he chastised his daughter who came and took our coupon. Somewhat unpleasant. The food was ok but not great. Asked for medium rare and got well done. I wonder if they serve different portions if they know about the coupons in advance?

Reviewed 5 March 2016

We wanted to take advantage of Restaurant Week in Summit to try a new place to eat. Unfortunately, it was last minute on a Saturday night and most places were already booked especially during this promotional week. However, Negeen was advertising a 2-entree & 1-appetizer special for $20.16 and when I called to check on reservations they said no problem. Since I had never been to a Persian restaurant I did check several on-line review sites which consistently said the food was good but not the service and they won't accept any discounts, even their own advertised Groupons. Given that the food was supposed to be good and everywhere else was booked I figured we'd try it anyway, especially since I was going with the restaurant week special and not the Groupon. But our experience was pretty much similar to the other reviews. When we arrived the restaurant atmosphere was nice and inviting but we were the only ones there (during prime time on a Saturday night). This caused us some hesitation and we did debate going somewhere else but it would be at least an hour wait elsewhere. We could see lines outside other restaurants down the street. We went in and were seated quickly, but it took a good ten minutes before we got menus and another 10 minutes before any water was brought to the table. This despite being the only ones in the restaurant. This was the essential experience throughout the meal. The hostess seemed to be busy doing something at the front desk with her back turned to us the entire time. The menu was interesting and we each picked an entrée and split an appetizer between us as per the special. Between us we had a mix of breads, grape leaves, kabobs and stews - all quite good. Although when my wife was served her entrée the waitress spilt the entire dish right on her lap. Luckily, my wife had the napkin on her lap which caught 90% of the food, so fortunately no significant mess on her. The waitress and eventually hostess just stood there looking at it for a few minutes while we waited for them to do something. We finally moved ourselves to another nearby empty table. Thirty minutes later when the rest of us had finished eating my wife's replacement entrée finally came. The real surprise came with the bill....we had been charged $20.16 per person not per 2 entrees as we had expected! When we asked about the 2-entrees & 1-appetizer special for $20.16 they said that the special is $20.16 for each person splitting the two entrees (a strange way of advertising a special, especially since it wasn't stated that way in the ad). So the truth is that the special is $40.32 for 2-entrees & 1 appetizer. At this price it is about the same as their normal prices - $17 for entrees and $6 appetizer, so really there was no discount during the restaurant week special (although some entrees can be $20, our stews were $17). Other restaurants typically give 20% or more discount during that week. They didn't even give us a break due to dumping an entrée on my wife's lap - no offer for a free drink, free appetizer or free dessert.....nothing. Although the food was good we will not be back. They didn't seem to care if we were there or not. They showed no interest in trying to provide good service or care about their customers.

1  Thank viabrera