“Good food but poor service and don't honor valid coupons or advertised specials”

Negeen Persian Grill
Ranked #47 of 74 Restaurants in Summit
Cuisines: Persian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 5 March 2016

We wanted to take advantage of Restaurant Week in Summit to try a new place to eat. Unfortunately, it was last minute on a Saturday night and most places were already booked especially during this promotional week. However, Negeen was advertising a 2-entree & 1-appetizer special for $20.16 and when I called to check on reservations they said no problem. Since I had never been to a Persian restaurant I did check several on-line review sites which consistently said the food was good but not the service and they won't accept any discounts, even their own advertised Groupons. Given that the food was supposed to be good and everywhere else was booked I figured we'd try it anyway, especially since I was going with the restaurant week special and not the Groupon. But our experience was pretty much similar to the other reviews. When we arrived the restaurant atmosphere was nice and inviting but we were the only ones there (during prime time on a Saturday night). This caused us some hesitation and we did debate going somewhere else but it would be at least an hour wait elsewhere. We could see lines outside other restaurants down the street. We went in and were seated quickly, but it took a good ten minutes before we got menus and another 10 minutes before any water was brought to the table. This despite being the only ones in the restaurant. This was the essential experience throughout the meal. The hostess seemed to be busy doing something at the front desk with her back turned to us the entire time. The menu was interesting and we each picked an entrée and split an appetizer between us as per the special. Between us we had a mix of breads, grape leaves, kabobs and stews - all quite good. Although when my wife was served her entrée the waitress spilt the entire dish right on her lap. Luckily, my wife had the napkin on her lap which caught 90% of the food, so fortunately no significant mess on her. The waitress and eventually hostess just stood there looking at it for a few minutes while we waited for them to do something. We finally moved ourselves to another nearby empty table. Thirty minutes later when the rest of us had finished eating my wife's replacement entrée finally came. The real surprise came with the bill....we had been charged $20.16 per person not per 2 entrees as we had expected! When we asked about the 2-entrees & 1-appetizer special for $20.16 they said that the special is $20.16 for each person splitting the two entrees (a strange way of advertising a special, especially since it wasn't stated that way in the ad). So the truth is that the special is $40.32 for 2-entrees & 1 appetizer. At this price it is about the same as their normal prices - $17 for entrees and $6 appetizer, so really there was no discount during the restaurant week special (although some entrees can be $20, our stews were $17). Other restaurants typically give 20% or more discount during that week. They didn't even give us a break due to dumping an entrée on my wife's lap - no offer for a free drink, free appetizer or free dessert.....nothing. Although the food was good we will not be back. They didn't seem to care if we were there or not. They showed no interest in trying to provide good service or care about their customers.

1  Thank viabrera

Reviewed 29 February 2016

My husband and I chose Negeen because they are on a list of restaurants that honor a certain coupon we had. Otherwise, we hadn't heard of Negeen but are glad we tried it! We visited on a quiet Saturday night. We urge you to try Negeen! Food this tasty deserves a bigger crowd!

Negeen, a storefront restaurant on Springfield Ave in downtown Summit, is a small, simple dining room with just enough touches to suggest a different culture: soft lighting, handsome arched niches on the side wall embellished with silver platters, a hanging Persian carpet, and an antique-looking hutch all combine to create a pleasant, restful atmosphere. You may BYOB - you'll find, as we did, that a lovely pinot noir will complement the robust meat-centric food here. I enjoyed the Kabob Soltani, which included a generous portion of excellent quality filet mignon chunks and a second skewer of Kobideh, a well-seasoned mix of ground lamb & beef. My husband ordered the Gheimeh stew, a veal stew. Good, but he was happy I was willing to share my steak since my portion was really too much for me. A husband and wife team own and operate Negeen and do everything. Her baklava, with its mix of walnuts, pistachios, almonds and homemade phyllo dough, was among the best my husband has ever tasted.

1  Thank Susan F
Reviewed 14 January 2016

This is a great little restaurant! It is unique, authentic and definitely not your common mainstream type of restaurant. The food is traditional Persian food and is very well done. I've been here before and usually get kobideh. Although I like their kobideh I've had it home -cooked and thought that was better. So, this time I got daring and stepped out of my comfort zone! I ordered zereshk polo. It was excellent! I've had this home-cooked as well but this was much better! Overall their food is very good. The atmosphere is low key so you can sit relax, talk and not feel rushed.

Reviewed 10 January 2016 via mobile

Delicious, authentic, and plentiful food. Served by friendly staff. Relaxing ambiance. Clean and confortable environment.

Reviewed 17 July 2015

Dining al fresco on Springfield Ave was a delight.
The appetizer selection was robust and delicious, the pita bread was warm.
I loved and highly recommend the OliveH.
Both the steak and chicken kabob were bountiful and tasty over basmati rice.
Worth eating at again and again