See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 18 July 2012

We just got back from our reunion last week and everyone loved Doolan's. It was a great stay. The Room was very nice and the Food was surperb! We are retired Travel Agents and plan on returning very soon! Our Reunion will become an Annual one in Doolan's! Thank you Sue & Joan for your hospitality! See you soon. Dianne & John O'Sullivan from City Island.

Room tip: All the rooms are nice!
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Stayed at Doolan's four nights last week with a group of friends and now plan on making it an annual tradition. Room was comfortable and restaurant was excellent - a terrific value in the very beautiful town of Spring Lake. Is a great spot to plan a reunion. As nice or nicer than Cape May and a much easier commute for anyone driving from NY. Highly recommend!!!

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 July 2012

We enjoyed another fun weekend here. This time we stayed in a room in the main building; it was more of a suite with a small living area & couch that pulled out into a bed of need be. The room had been updated & redecorated to be more modern and upscale than your typical Jersey Shore motel. It still wasn’t 5 stars but it remains one of the best values in Spring Lake.

I do wish the owners would update the bathroom fixtures. The handles on the bathroom sink were starburst pattern but the edges made it painful to get the good grip needed to fully shut off the water.

The included breakfast buffet is still a tasty treat.

We will return.

1  Thank dalm0m
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Location! Location! Location! I lived in Spring Lake for 7 years and it's nice to have somewhere nice to go when I come back home. The staff was friendly and couldn't have been more helpful. Upon our arrival, we were greeted with complimentary wine and cheese. They accommodated our early checkin request and when we stayed two additional nights, we were so pleasantly pleased that we didn't need to change rooms. We enjoyed the Happy Hour which had $5.00 top shelf martini's before going to dinner. They have a wide selection of fish, steak, and lamb. Additionally, we enjoyed a light menu which was also available at the bar. We love the early bird special, it's the best dinner value at the shore. The service is attentive and professional...as nice any fine restaurant in the city. Yes, I know there are some bad reviews written on this site but I didn't see a single bug in my room, around the pool, restaurant, or lobby despite being there for two weeks. Okay, the rooms are bit outdated but they are spacious and clean ....allows them to keep the rates reasonable. The entertainment is old school, it's nice to see folks rippin up the dance floor. We are trying to get squeezed in to do a girls weekend! Congratulations to Susan and her family for a job well done. Can't wait to come back. ----The Mell Family

1  Thank Annie R
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I am told that a lot has been done to update the catering area of this establishment in recent years, semmingly much to the detriment of their accomodations, which are dreadfully outdated. The exterior walkways (which are unavoidable due to the motor-lodge layout) are rife with insects. Flies and moths being attracted by lights, I can understand. But there were dead bugs everywhere and huge spiderwebs that were there all weekend, one which i had to duck many times to avoid. The tiny lobby where the tiny front desk is had some karaoke or something going on, which made communicating with the receptionist (for whom i had to wait 5 minutes) extremely difficult. The room was musty and uncomfortable.

I have had family in Spring Lake all my life and always passed by Doolans as a child, wondering what it would be like to stay at what i thought was such a neat looking place (as a kid). I was very disappointed with my stay. The rates are outrageous comared to what you get. I would have written this rating last year when i stayed if I had known how relatively high it's TripAdvisor score is compared to what i experienced. Doing my part to help people avoid my disappointment.

Date of stay: August 2011