“Anniversary Dinner”
Review of Nicholas

Nicholas
Reserve with OpenTable
Nicholas is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 155 Restaurants in Red Bank
Price range: US$40 - US$60
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Bt. Navesink River Rd & Pine Street
Transit: Red Bank train station
Reviewed 8 May 2017

First time going to Nicholas which has only three menus, a 3 course, 4 course and a vegetarian tasting menu. We opted for the 4 course and shared everything. Each course is paired with wine for an additional cost and there are two wine options. Everything, including the service was excellent and we really enjoyed ourselves. Highly recommend this restaurant for a special occasion.

Reviewed 5 May 2017 via mobile

My wife and I have eaten in the dining room about 8 times over the years and it is always excellent and once at the "chef's table" downstairs off the kitchen which was a unique and very enjoyable experience. We knew we wouldn't be able to get a reservation for a Friday night in April for dinner so we decided to try Bar N and eat dinner at the bar. It started out with the bartender making suggestions for my wife's cocktail which was great and then an incredible house cab they were pouring that night which was Mt. Veeder for me. I buy most of my wine from Nicholaswines.com so I knew this was a great wine already. I noticed on the wine menu that they don't gouge you with their prices like some restaurants typically do. Bartender was very professional and interesting to talk to over the course of the evening. He got a little excited when one of the customers pulled in the valet parking with a car I never heard of that he said cost almost a million dollars. They get some heavy hitters frequenting this establishment. He also recommended the Halibut which was the best I have ever had anywhere. My wife loved her entree as well and the portions were ample and bigger than we were expecting because it was a "tasting" menu. Service was excellent and the food was served piping hot as usual. (We saw firsthand how they serve it so hot from the chef's table downstairs where we saw them full out sprinting across the kitchen and up the stairs the second the food was ready. No food is ever sitting around under a heat lamp in this kitchen.)
We have always used this restaurant as our special occasion "splurge" place to dine but I think we will frequent it much more often with last minute trips to Bar N for a great but more casual dining experience. Many of our friends have avoided this place because they think it is too expensive. I keep telling them to try it because we feel for the quality, great service and overall dining experience that Nicholas is an excellent value.

1  Thank WJC3
Reviewed 26 March 2017

I was excited to try this restaurant after hearing about it for years, but I was unpleasantly surprised. My husband and I ate there tonight for our anniversary and knew it was an expensive restaurant, but we decided to try it given all of the great reviews my friends provided. There are only 3 menus...a 3 course menu for $70, a 3 course vegetarian menu for $70, or a 6 course tasting menu for $90. We both went with the regular 3 course meal. The portions were tiny, so I can't imagine how small they would be if we ordered the tasting menu. I had the scallop appetizer, the lobster entree and the banana pudding for dessert. The appetizer consisted of 3 small scallops. It was very flavorful, but a bit salty. The lobster was an itty bitty tail and 2 itty bitty claws (1-2" at most) served over homemade cavatelli. While it was also flavorful, it was so rich, it was difficult to finish. The dessert consisted of tiny square of what tasted like mushy banana bread. My husband had a tiny pork appetizer that he said was tiny but good. He had redfish for dinner, which was also tiny but good. For dessert he had chocolate something or other that was tiny but good. After he finished his meal he was still hungry and joked about going out to eat afterwards. We ordered a bottle of wine with dinner...the least expensive bottle was $30. I saw some bottles on the menu that I typically buy for $12-15, but they were on the menu for $195-200! On a positive note, the service was excellent. The atmosphere was comfortable and relaxing. Some of the tables for 2 were very close together (as was ours) so you couldn't help but look at your neighbors and overhear their conversations. Overall, the food was presented beautifully, but it was very overpriced with tiny portions. The restaurant tries to pull it off as an upscale NYC restaurant, but all the really are is a pretentious wannabe. Oh, and bring small bills for the non-optional valet parking and coat check.

1  Thank jdfszoo
Reviewed 14 March 2017

This was my first time eating at Nicholas, my wife had several times prior but not for a few years. Their reputation is very good and extremely tough to find a legitimate, poor review. Also it was my wife's birthday and we truly wanted a memorable dining experience.
Thankfully we got it!
When I called for the reservation, very nice lady, I believe Jessica understood that we would prefer the waiter/captain to select our food and wine. We really enjoy doing this and find, more often than not, the staff enjoys the challenge of offering their version of the perfect dinner with wine pairing.
Our captain for the evening was Marcelo, right off the bat, he knew what we requested and was very ready to help us, we were greeted promptly and everyone who came near us wished my wife a happy birthday, great touch guys, we were both pleasantly surprised.
Marcelo served us the Late Winter Chef's Tasting Menu and paired the wines as well. We chose the Cellar Selections $125 for one, and one without wine $90, I was the designated drinker and thankfully my wife was the designated driver.
Each one of the wine pairings was spot on, and each time I praised the combo Marcelo would smile and say "its get better", truly correct! Each course offered up better wines and all were perfectly paired.
The service....was fantastic, every person that came to our table was super polite, very upbeat and just flat out fun, they all made our B-day night out very special.
The breads served were excellent and were nearly constantly offered, which we ate too much of it but it was so good, especially the cranberry bread, yummmm.
After dessert was served with a wonderful wine as well, they brought my wife little gifts, box of chocolate, a small container of "bread".
Again, truly great touches that added so much to our experience, can't wait to go again, the next special occasion dinner will be here for sure, hopefully the same wait staff is there, loved them all! Thanks very much to everyone there for making our dinner a fantastic experience.
And last but not least the food prep was top notch and easily some of the best food we've ever had, thanks chef!!!

Reviewed 13 March 2017 via mobile

Lovely! Always a wonderful experience. Food great. Wine great. Atmosphere beautiful. Service superb.