“Good Steak but weak Management”
Review of Char Steak House

Char Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
Char Steak House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 155 Restaurants in Red Bank
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 24 September 2018

We went there to celebrate my son's 22nd birthday. He wanted the dry aged steak which he enjoyed. My daughter had the crab cakes which were delicious. I had the prix-fixe meal with the filet mignon which was good. There was a table of 4 adults and 3 or 4 children who were very loud and disruptive. They were drinking and getting louder. One of the children kept screaming. We were a party of six so we sat at a large table. I couldn't even hear my family. The waiter was nice. He apologized. I asked to speak to the manager. He also apologized and said he was not serving them anymore alcohol. They were there for another 45 minutes. It was a great meal but I wish I could have enjoyed myself. I think the Manager should have asked them to leave earlier. Maybe wrapped their meal, offered them free dessert, anything to make them leave.

1  Thank R9466LZlisas

Reviewed 23 September 2018

We tried Char on a whim because it was my boyfriend's birthday and our original plans changed. I'm so glad we did! The food was great and the service was even better.
We had the kobe meatballs and bacon to start. Both were very, very good. The bacon was perfectly charred. I'm still thinking about the bacon! The meatball was one shareable meatball and it was quite good. We split the chopped cobb salad. It wasn't anything extraordinary but it was very tasty. Next time, I'll probably try the wedge. I had the grande cut filet mignon and it was cooked perfectly (medium rare). My boyfriend had the cowboy ribeye and it was a little rare for him (he ordered it medium well and it was more medium rare) but he said it was so tender and tasty that he didn't mind. We're big steak eaters so we tend to be picky but I can't find any flaws with the meat here. We shared two sides: potatoes au gratin and creamed spinach. I was hesitant in ordering the potatoes for fear of them being under cooked but they were cooked perfectly. The creamed spinach was good. We shared two desserts also. The brownie a la mode was unbelievably good and the cheesecake was good but I'm just more of a chocolate lover. I don't eat seafood but I saw a seafood tower going to a nearby table and that looked amazing so I thought I should mention that.
The service was great. Our server was very attentive and had a great personality. He was very thorough in explaining the menu since it was our first time but wasn't annoying...the perfect balance.
Overall, I would definitely recommend Char for both the food and service. The ambiance was quite nice also. Felt more like the city than NJ.

Reviewed 22 September 2018 via mobile

Have been meaning to try this restaurant for a long time. Service was excellent. Appetizer of oysters from east and west coasts was really interesting to compare and delicious. Entree of cowboy steak and shrimp scampi, with green beans with shallots and almonds was really well done. Cocktails were unique and really good too. Blueberry gelato and cake dessert was huge. Will definitely be back.

Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

First of all, do not go here if you do not like dim light places. Personally I love it. I love the atmosphere both in and out of this place and the staff is wonderful and polite. The drinks are great and the food is magnificent. The Kobe meatball is delicious and the steaks so worth the buy. 10/10 will def come again.

Reviewed 31 August 2018

Had dinner at Char on a Sunday evening. The service was outstanding. They went above and beyond to try and identify a past drink special for us that is no longer on the menu. Unfortunately, they did not figure it out, but they tried very hard.

Sunday nights have a fixed price menu in addition to the regular menu. For ~$50, you get a appetizer (Cesar salad, house salad, or french onion soup), an entree (8 oz filet, chicken, or salmon), and a dessert (creme brulee or brownie Sunday). I had the Cesar salad (huge and not over dressed), the filet (cooked perfectly), and the creme brulee. We also ordered the blistered pepper appetizer off the main menu, and it was very tasty. The entree came with broccoli and mashed potatoes. They were the only fair things I ate.

Overall, I would go back, especially for the fixe priced menu and the service!