“Excellent!”

Shapiro's New York Delicatessen
Ranked #71 of 155 Restaurants in Red Bank
Price range: US$10 - US$20
Description: True New York Style Jewish Delicatessen. Serving up outstanding steamed pastrami, corned beef, fresh roasted turkey and roast beef. House made salads and soups. All the traditional favorites Jewish Delis are known for and more.
Reviewed 29 January 2018

I had eaten at Shapiro's 2 weeks ago and was so impressed by the food and service that I decided to have them Cater an event that I was having at my house! All the guests including me really enjoyed the food. The food was ready on time for pick up and everything was just as I ordered. I would highly recommend Shapiro's!

Reviewed 6 December 2017

Went in for a real ny style bagel. Cooked perfectly. Cream cheese top of the line. Hot coffee a very friendly atmosphere. Staff on top of their game. Home cooked turkey! The even delver. Will be back again.

Reviewed 17 October 2017 via mobile

There are a pretty fair amount of Jews in central NJ. But not a lot of great Jewish delis. There are some decent ones. Some that offer a comical amount of meat in a sandwich, more for affect than anything else. But Shapiro’s offers a nice size portion that one can actually eat. When I sat down, they immediately brought me a bowl of pickles and took my drink order. I put in my meal order. Shortly after, they brought my knish. Square, of course. While it was fried, it wasn’t greasy. I hadn’t had a good knish since I got one from a push cart on the east side. My hot pastrami on rye (with seeds) was delicious. The portion was generous but not overwhelming. After my meal, I was full but not stuffed. I can’t wait to come back and try the corned beef and kreplach.

Reviewed 14 October 2017 via mobile

I was looking for a New York style pastrami sandwich a la Katz’s and found the place! First time I ordered take out and the food was excellent and reasonable.

Reviewed 29 August 2017

My wife and I decided to try the new kosher style deli in Red Bank. We noticed their refrigerated display cases seemed meager and the place does not have the feel of a kosher style deli. Looked like lots of packaged things. Not much home made stuff.
We ordered maze ball soup, a corned beed sandwich and a roast turkey sandwich and a knish. We asked for them to substitute some items and they would not. We got home and tasted the soup. It lacked the rich flavor of home made chicken soup. Strike 1. The burnt the knish. It was inedible. strike 2. My turkey was a generous amount and was moist and good. The corned beef was okay. The did not offer club bread strike 3.
We would not go back. If you like a jewish style deli, go to Fred and Murrays in Freehold or Bernstein's in Manalapan. I would be surprised if Shapiro's is there in a year!
I love a good Jewish style deli. Shapiro's is not one.

Susan S, Owner at Shapiro's New York Delicatessen, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2017

Thank you for your review Ira. We always want to know how we can improve. I wanted you to know I appreciate your enjoying our turkey and corned beef. Everything in our store salads, meats and desserts are all home made. We prepare all of our meats ourselves. Nothing is prepackaged and I invite you in again to learn about our processes. We are considered a New York Style Deli not kosher just to clarify. I recall your wanting to swap the side salad either potato, macaroni or cole slaw that we provide free of charge along with each sandwich for a $8 knish. Unfortunately the numbers don’t work out and we could not make that adjustment. We receive rave reviews on our matzo ball soup and knishes and feel badly that you had a different experience than all of our other customers. Perhaps it was related to your not receiving a free item. Kind regards Susan Shapiro