All reviews times square great hotel bar lounge excellent stay new york indoor parking gated garage free parking lincoln tunnel rooms are beautiful the bus paterson plank road free breakfast breakfast choices best westerns party shuttle loved this hotel
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We booked (via Expedia) one night at this hotel around 6.00 pm November 15th 2018, in the middle of that awful unexpected snow storm.
It was soooooo bad it took us 5 hours 30 minutes to get there driving from Clifton, NJ! I knew for a fact the hotel accept a 300.00 $ deposit cash for incidentals (I had called them during the day). The front desk agent refused to check us in. He had the nerves to be condescending when our booking was already paid for. He lied that they couldn't accept cash at this hotel, and coldly asked us to call Expedia to cancel the booking, then the hotel would be able to issue a refund. At midnight, after having driven almost 6 hours, pregnant, snow falling hard outside and traffic being insane. This is the most despicable, inhumane, rude front desk agent I've ever met in my life!
Eventually Expedia called me back (at almost 1.00 am!!!) to let me know the problem was fixed. The agent allowed us to check in with the $300.00 cash deposit. He even lied about granting us late checkout (found out in the morning there was no note about that) What a mess!

He did not even know what the check out time was because he "only does the night shift"...appalling!
To Management: such an unacceptable behavior. I travel a lot and that agent was just terrible (around 5'7, short dark haired, glasses). Just despicable!

Now the hotel:
-Pros: very clean, modern, big room (Executive King), huge TV with lots of channels, nice building/breakfast room and very close to the city.
-Cons: very unhelpful night front desk team (all 3 of them), breakfast was average. The cleaning lady @ 8th floor was not respectful of the "Do not disturb" sign and kept coming back and banging at the door before checkout time. Very annoying and disrespectful.

In general, good. However, I won't go back because of my bad experience with the personnel. Bad taste in my mouth.

Date of stay: November 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Angelique C, Front Office Manager at Best Western Premier NYC Gateway Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

I am incredibly sorry that you had such a terrible experience at our property. I am very disappointed in the front desk agent that you spoke with. Please email me at Angeliquecbwp@gmail.com or call (201) 758-5770 if you would like to discuss.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We had problems finding the hotel. Paterson Plank road is abit strange in that, its a long road but curves to the left and we went straight! the hotel is nicely situated in North Bergen - not too far from the train station. Parking at the station is very expensive - $27 a day. Easy to get to NYC. We were allocated a good room. Checking in staff (Henrie) was very good and helpful during our stay. Cant say the same about the rest of the reception staff. They did not come across as helpful or friendly. Not a good attitude for a hotel to be successful in the long run. Price of room is pricey - we went in November. Breakfast was okay. We were not excited by the items. We stayed for 5 nights. On the 3rd night, the toilet stopped working. The guys came to sort it out but he could not. Were moved to another room. This was not that good. No one from reception made a call to us to find out if we were happy with the new room or to just say sorry you had to move! It may be this is the norm in USA but not in UK. Upon checkout they dont ask you if you had a good stay. Its a decent hotel but not convinced it is value for money.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Really nice hotel, very comfortable. Breakfast was great! Pool was small but nice. Good proximity to NYC. Close to ferry to NYC. They offer shuttle service to Time Square at a reasonable price. Exercise room was good. Bar was nice. Overall, staff was friendly. Location is questionable but the secure parking was awesome!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Hotel is right off of 495, easy to get too, just have to deal with normal traffic. Lady at front desk was very helpful and nice. Explaining the hotel as well as the shuttle bus that is provided. Parking is in a garage, spaces are small but oh well. Room was very clean, very modern and comfortable. Best was very soft, wasn’t too comfortable, but was okay. Other nice amenities in room, fast WiFi, refrigerator. Would definitely recommend for the price.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Hotel is situated in a good location. We booked a shuttle bus and it took us directly to the centre. Return ticket is $12 and you have to book it in advance. Room was very nice and clean. Staff is kind.

What I did not like was breakfast. Poor presentation and poor choice of food. We had waffles and scrambled eggs every day. Tables and cutlery were not clean.

Date of stay: September 2018