“Grand opening discount”

Masa Sushi & Hibachi
Ranked #13 of 55 Restaurants in Marlboro
Reviewed 17 June 2016

My friend recommended this place due to it grand opening special of 50 % off Sushi and Sashimi.
We came here on a Tuesday night and the place was pretty packed. The crowds were mostly from age 20 plus to early 50s. The 50% off were from the selected section of the menu ( lots of choices ). We ordered some Sashimi, couple of sushi rolls, and pad Thai. All the food were very good and our server was friendly. Don' t forget this restaurant is BYOB, it will save you lots of money.

Date of visit: June 2016

Reviewed 20 March 2016

We had previously visited this restaurant and were unhappy that it was not a real hibachi restaurant. Hibachi dishes are made in the kitchen. I couldn't understand why it does not even serve mustard sauce, my favorite addition to a hibachi meal. Maybe because of the half price offering or the fact that this restaurant is so near our home, my wife and I decided to try its sushi. We already knew from the last visit not to sit in the wooden booths. The upholstered seats of the chairs are much more comfortable. We ordered the spicy tuna roll, salmon skin roll, shrimp tempura roll and the shrimp avocado roll. Each was excellent - definitely as good as any other sushi place in this area. So our final conclusion is still hibachi? really! but definitely sushi? yes!

Reviewed 13 March 2016

This place just opened. Same owners as Fusha in Freehold, which I've never been to. Well, I really didn't think that half-price sushi was going to be good, but it was great!

Three of us had sushi, and one person had hibachi. As the previous reviewer noted, they don't have separate hibachi tables with the "show" that accompanies it. They just cook it in the kitchen and bring it out. Our hibachi friend said it was delicious, but there was no mustard sauce. How odd.

We all had some rolls and nigiri sushi. All were delicious - among the best we've had. We were there on a Friday evening, and the line was out the door. It would have been a really long wait, but several people in front of us gave up, and we didn't have to wait that long. Edamame, soup, and salad came fairly quickly. As expected, the sushi took some time because of the crowd. We counted 5 sushi chefs slicing and dicing as fast as they could. I don't remember exactly how long it took, but we all decided it was worth the wait.

The seats in the booths are solid wood and a bit hard. You might want to consider a table with padded chairs if you think that might be a problem.

The portion size of the hibachi meal was a bit on the small side, but my friend was very happy with the quality. As mentioned above, the lack of mustard sauce is a bit odd.

I'm looking forward to going back next week!

Reviewed 9 March 2016

Every week or so my husband gets the urge for a hibachi lunch. We received a coupon in the mail indicating that Masa, as part of its grand opening special, was discounting the cost of the hibachi lunch 30%. Since the place is just a hop, skip and a jump from our home we rode over today. Even though this restaurant has the name hibachi in its title, don't think that they actually have hibachi tables with a chef coming out and making the food in front of you. When we asked for hibachi they seated us at a wooden booth and told us that the hibachi was made in the kitchen. We always enjoy the little performance that goes with the meal, but we were already there. The wooden booths were a little uncomfortable so we asked to be switched to a table with chairs with upholstered seats. The meal that we both usually order is hibachi scallops. We pay $11.99 for it at lunchtime. Masa, with its 30 % discount is $14.00, but we were already there. We were about to order when I asked the server if the restaurant served mustard sauce to accompany the hibachi meal. Unfortunately, they only have ginger sauce. Even my hubby, that will pretty much stand for no hibachi chef and paying more than anywhere else in the neighborhood wasn't having his hibachi scallops without his mustard sauce. We left. I feel unkind rating the restaurant with only one star since we never tasted the food. Please just use this review to know that this may not be the place to go for hibachi if you want the usual bells and whistles .