“Come for the atmosphere”
Review of Teak on the Hudson

Good for: Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: River Street - Hoboken
Transit: Located right across the street from the Hoboken path, bus station.
Reviewed 18 October 2010

I went with a bunch of girls on a Saturday night and had a great time. The ambiance is very nice...the aquarium takes up an entire wall. I would definitely come back during the week when the menu is half price....that's a great deal!

Reviewed 27 April 2010

I love the decord, but managment sucks, i had a problem with a credit card, one of the bartender lost it on saturday night and is was only one of then that try to help me, the manager come to me with attitud, and scream at the bartender that took her time to help me... that place is not worth it ....

1  Thank pastroso
Reviewed 5 March 2010

I'm not sure what everyone here is complaining about...especially those of you who went on a weeknight! The menu is pricey but if you go Monday through Thursday the drinks and food are all half price! Who can ask for anything better?? The ambiance is great and I have always enjoyed the food here and the portions are pretty big. In the summer you can also get seating outside. Not sure why there are so many negatives!

1  Thank lauren6856
Reviewed 2 January 2010

Though I had enjoyed Teak's Saturday evening bar scene on one previous occasion, I had never checked it out on what I would have expected to be a more low-key evening. So, when I was recently looking for a trendy place to enjoy a relaxed glass of wine on a Monday night out with a friend, I thought it would perfect. My companion agreed, saying that if it was "too dead, we could try some place else".

The evening arrived, and I walked into the restaurant, but was most certainly not confronted by an empty space. Every seat in the dining room was taken, and a line had formed around the hostess stand. I edged my way through the crowd and checked for a seat at the bar. However, that was just as packed, with no stools available and a second layer of drinkers lined up behind them. Luckily, I noticed two people vacating their spots, and I lunged to take their places. My friend soon arrived, and we discussed our shock at how busy the restaurant was on that freezing Monday evening.

Being that Teak had an active bar scene, I knew that they had to have a creative beverage menu. I wound up ordering a martini with Grey Goose Le Citron, their homemade lemonade, and club soda. The cocktail was bitter, tart, and strong. Its lemonade was not nearly sweet enough to balance the alcohol. My friend took a sip of his Dirty Martini and made a face, also being blown away by the domineering amount of included gin.

When it came time to order round 2, I decided to move on from my puckering martini and switch to wine. My affordable glass of New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc was smooth and packed with ripe grapefruit undertones. My companion asked for a second dirty martini, though clarified that it needed to be dirtier this time. The bartender looked at him quizzically and stated that she had not included any olive juice in the previous glass. This would also be a good time to critique the fact that she had almost presented me with the incorrect mixed drink. She had placed the glass on the bar, but then quickly took it back, declaring that she had accidentally concocted the wrong cocktail. You have got to love paying over $10 for a drink that you had not even ordered.

Hunger soon set in, and, thankfully, the long queue for a table had started to diminish. We put our request in with the hostess, who insisted that we provide her with our cell phone number, even though we were standing at the section of the bar closest to her reception area. Regardless of this annoyance, we were soon seated, though at one of the worst tables in the restaurant. Our small area was on the border of the bar and directly in front of the door out to the street. Beggars cannot be choosers, though, and I was not about to wait around for another table to become available.

So, we opened out menus and munched on the complimentary steamed Edamame. The soybeans were unfortunately overcooked, mushy, and oddly sweet. They were heavily topped with salt chunks that could be visible miles away. I was floored by the menu prices, with several entrees costing between $30 and $40! Hello, this was Hoboken, not Manhattan! We decided that the best course of action would be to share several plates.

We started with the Herb Crusted Rock Shrimp appetizer. Each nugget was heavily fried and "like something you would get at Chili's," according to my friend. The shrimp were coated in a cherry pepper glaze that was syrupy sweet, sour, and spicy all at once. The crisp, gooey mess was served over a mint fruit salsa, though its flavor was masked by the pepper emulsion.

We had also decided on a sushi roll from their lengthy line of innovative blends. The Spicy Girl Maki was stuffed with spicy tuna, spicy yellowtail, and tempura flakes. It was then topped with a mushy salad of spicy salmon and fried crunchies. The roll contained a fabulous mix of textures and fresh fish. Its massive size of about 8-10 filling pieces really helped reduce our horror at its cost. A spicy mayo dipping sauce was drizzled on plate as an added kick.

We wanted to sample one of their main courses as our final sharing plate. I suggested the "scallops", meaning the grilled, healthier ones on the page. Of course, my male friend assumed that I had been referring to those shellfish wrapped in bacon. Although I could have provided clarification, my mouth watered at the heavenly sound of the word "bacon"...So, we proceeded with the scandalous order. The plate showcased 4 large Diver Scallops that were perfectly cooked and wrapped in crisp bacon, which was sadly dry and over-smoked. The pig strands did not seem fresh, except possibly fresh from the freezer...The scallops lay cushioned on a bed of spinach that had been sauteed in a delicious, tangy lobster sauce.

Teak definitely provided us with a nice evening, though the scene was a bit over-the-top for a Monday night. In addition, the inaccurate bartender and mediocre food did nothing to support their hefty prices.

1  Thank intlfoodtrvl
Reviewed 17 December 2009

This is a horrible restaurant. I have been to many five star trendy upscale restaurants in my life and this is no where close to any other them. They are pretentious for absolutely no reason at all. This place is filled with rude, ill-trained, ill-mannered employees. It seems to be no policy set-up for rules because the staff gives inconsistent answers. I had a birthday dinner there on Dec 12 and it was ruined. for the following reasons:

1) The hostess who took my reservation over the phone mixed up the day and instead of Saturday she marked it for Tuesday, Dec 15. Luckily, I called back to ask questions about increasing the size of the party, policy on bringing in a birthday cake from the outside, and cake cutting fees. This is when I was told that there was no reservation for me on Dec 12 and that I couldn't get my original timeslot because they were other large parties. They moved me to 8:30pm on Dec 12 and she told me there was a $3 cake cutting fee period.

2)Later at the restaurant I was told that it would be $3/slice. I was shocked that I would have to pay $60 for them to cut a cake I already bought. I was told that 50% of my party had to be present before we would be seated and when 50% was present they changed it to 80%. We were getting ready to leave and suddenly the table was ready. Go figure!!

3) The lounge seat at the table was soaking wet with alcohol and my friend sat in it. We had to find someone to clean up the area and it took a long time. We had to stand in the meantime.

4) The drink orders were forgotten or mixed up. The excuse they gave was that they were busy with other large parties. Again, they made us feel like our party didn't matter too much to them. Btw, the lychee martini is awful...drinks period are horrible.

5) Food took forever to come out and was just ok. They ran out of sushi so three of my friends had to wait longer. How does a sushi restaurant run out of their main product?!!!!

6) All through dinner they kept rushing us to finish and clearing the table too fast. They brought the check out before my birthday cake so part of my party left and never got to completely celebrate with me. A busboy came to clear the area and I kept telling him that I had a cake coming and we needed the area and he just ignored me as if I were nothing and he continued to clear. He turned to me and said "I"m trying to do my job and you keep rrrrr to me" . Very rude behavior.

7) They brought the cake and still made us leave the area. They put my cake around a statue of buddha and left it unattended. My friend had to stand and make sure no one took any. The manager moved us to another area with chairs but we couldn't enjoy the cake because we couldn't properly celebrate because we were separated.

8) The manager promised us shots for inconviencing us but they never came. We had to look for him to get them and then they weren't that great.

Basically, the entire experience was awful. The staff is rude and lack proper customer service training. The managers aren't that much better. The food and drinks are overpriced for the quality. The lounge chairs are dirty and stained. If you like to be treated badly while spending lots of money, then eat here. Otherwise, don't waste your time.

3  Thank nitawil