“Beautiful/Trendy Hotel/Great View of Manhattan”
Review of W Hoboken

W Hoboken
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Hoboken
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 November 2010

Initially, I was a little worried about staying here. Nothing to do with the hotel, but location, not being on Manhattan island. The hotel is the top pick for the area, very upscale and hip, and for up to 40% off W's in NYC; worth it (for most).

Check In was acceptable, with the usually frosty snobbish staff one has come to expect at W's, yes, it had to be said. The room I requested, facing Midtown, was met with a room facing Lower Manhattan. I complained to the hotel manager, and was upgraded to the largest non suite room, with exceptional views of Manhattan, from the UWS to Greenwich Village and a back view window of NJ (not much to see - but interesting). The hotel is right on the Hudson...with running/biking trails all along the river. The beds are amazing, huge bathroom, with BLISS products, that are my fav. There is also a Bliss store in the hotel. The gym is one of the best, very quiet with views of NYC.

Besides the frosty Check In staff. The hotel is great in all other areas.! Be careful when requesting a taxi. The hotel will bundle you into a chaufered Escalade, that will cost you $50 for a 10 minute ride into Manhattan. OH - The internet SUCKS!!!! Dont bother paying the $12 per day, use your PDA as a modem for your laptop ...all pda's do this now ;)

Takes about 10 mins on the Path Train (3 min walk from hotel) into Greenwich Village, and about 20 mins up to 34th Street. The underground in NYC is GROSS from April - September, very very hot/humid with no AC ...just lovely in a suit. So I would advise jumping off the train at Christopher Street, and hailing a cab to take you to your destination in the city.

Path Trains runs ok during the day, but then has limited service after 11pm...so make sure you grab a timetable, or its a long journey home late at night...cause the trains run every 30 mins!!!

Parking is around $40 per night .. average for the area.

Great hotel dining, the most incredible restaurant, right across from the hotel... overlooking the Hudson River. Hoboken's main shopping streets are just 2 short blocks away, with numerous eats, bars and shops everywhere. Target is a mile away, and Newport Mall is a 5 min car ride (next door) to the Westin Jersey City - another great SPG property! Lots of great shops/dining in Jersey City as well.

You can also take the train to Newark Airport, with a change of train in either Newark (not for most peoople) or Secaucus ..a little nicer) Takes about 45 mins.

I highly recommend this property if you are looking for an upscale alternative to the heavy Manhattan prices. We paid around $180 per night midweek. Prices are usually in the $200 - $290 range. Always book on SPG, cause they match priceline/hotwire prices!!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
GMAnna, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2010

I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed your W Hoboken experience, however I apologize for the service you received at check-in, this is certainly not the vibe we wish to give out. I’m glad you were able to enjoy our restaurant, Zylo and the shops and dining in the area. We hope to welcome you back soon! –Anna M., General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,222)

Reviewed 15 November 2010

This is the second time we've stayed at the W Hoboken - the hotel is really posh with great amenities, very clean rooms and friendly service. The location is amazing, a 5 minute walk to the PATH subway which takes you right into Manhattan and is very cheap to ride. Great family-friendly restaurants, parks and waterfront within walking distance. Only issues: the walls are really thin, you can hear everything in the hallways, woke me up a couple of times at night. We were also hoping for a later check-out (just for an hour), but were told that was impossible. Also, we seemed to receive a high number of calls (the phone rang about 4 or 5 times within the first hour of our stay) from the front desk making sure that everything was okay - it was a bit much, but we appreciated the efforts.

Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
GMAnna, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2010

We’re glad we were able to welcome you back to W Hoboken! I’m sorry for the noise disturbances you experienced as well as the disturbance from our check-in calls, but glad you were still able to enjoy our hotel and service as well as the local area! We hope to welcome you back again soon! – Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed 4 November 2010

We had a great five night stay at the W Hoboken. The view from our room was spectacular and the bed was glorious. Easy access to NYC - never had to wait more than 5 minutes for a PATH train. The lounge/bar area is lovely to sit in but the price of drinks is RIDICULOUS (AND they have the nerve to add gratuity as standard-we don't approve of that). Also, I agree with others in regards to staying over the weekend. There was a party going on all night near us and then it ended in a fight - banging doors, yelling, crying and then in the morning there were empty beer bottles left on our doorstep. It's not the hotel's fault of course, but it seems to be a problem with many reviewers. All in all, we loved it and hope to return one day.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank holidayzzzzzzzzz

We’re thrilled we were able to be your home away from home for your 5 night stay with us! I apologize for your experience over the weekend and I have brought this to the attention of our Security Department as we do have a No Party Policy at our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back whenever your travels bring you back to the area. –Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed 27 October 2010

First the good; good location to NYC and not as expensive, the bars (The Livingroom and Chandelier) have great staff and are fun Wed - Sat.
The bad; the walls are paper thin, I can hear the guy delivering the newspaper outside my door at 5am and it sounds like he's in the room plus I can hear my neighbors conversations. The rooms were designed so that every room's headboard is on the same wall as your neighbors TV! This is so everyone can look at Manhattan from bed but also puts my neighbors TV at my head with thin walls! And since this hotel caters to the "hip" crowd you have younger set who have been out partying coming in at 2am and waking you up. I have stayed here 25 nights in the last 3 months (work gig) and it happens all the time! If you value sleep don't stay here if you don't have to.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled on business

We’re happy to have you as our guest while in the area for work. I’m sorry for the inconveniences you have experienced, we know this is not what you expect when you come to stay with us for rest and relaxation, especially after a busy day at work. This is an issue we are aware of and are working on a sound proofing solution. Please don’t hesitate to contact us at the hotel directly if there is anything we can assist you with in the future. –Anna M., General Manager

Reviewed 26 October 2010

My stay at W Hoboken was 99% perfect (the only problem was a bathtub stopper that didn't close and I worked around that). The staff was friendly and attentive and the service was impeccable. The common areas of the hotel were both visually appealing and comfortable, though the lobby is a bit dark -- a bit more light during the day would ease the adjustment when you come in from full daylight. My room was nice but the view of Manhattan was the best feature: it was STUNNING. The bathroom was amazing, too...I wish my bathroom was that nice.

In terms of location, I found this hotel super convenient to NYC: it's a 5-10 minute walk to the PATH terminal, where the train will take you straight into the Village (about a 10-minute trip). The trains run frequently, and it was no problem getting into the city to meet friends, or getting to and from Penn Station. I also felt safe in the neighborhood around the hotel; walking back from the PATH alone was no big deal.

I'll definitely consider staying at the Hoboken W on my next trip to NYC. I haven't done a cost comparison, but I'm guessing you get more for your money just by crossing the river into New Jersey.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank vero600
GMAnna, General Manager at W Hoboken, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2010

We’re so glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us! I’m sorry it was only 99% perfect… we have brought the issue you encountered with the bathroom stopper to the attention of our Engineering Department and this will be addressed. We hope to show you a 100% perfect W Hoboken experience next time! We’re happy to hear you enjoyed our views and convenient location and can’t wait to welcome you back soon! – Anna M., General Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoboken
2.5 km away
1.9 km away
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel & Suites Jersey City
2.5 km away
Residence Inn by Marriott Jersey City

Been to W Hoboken? Share your experiences!