“A real Mexican restaurant!”
Review of La Fortaleza

La Fortaleza
Ranked #5 of 71 Restaurants in Garfield
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: You don't have to travel to Mexico to enjoy the traditional atmosphere and Mexican cuisine at La Fortaleza! Located in Garfield, we take real pride in our authentic Mexican Gastronomy. Our dishes are prepared according to exclusive family recipes and made throughout the day with the highest quality ingredients available. From our homemade salsa and tableside guacamole made with Michoacano Avocados, Onions and Cilantro, to our thick corn tortillas for our tacos, burritos and fajitas- everything is prepared fresh to ensure the ultimate flavor. These are but a few of the efforts we make every day to bring you the real flavors of Mexico! Family and friends can join us on Friday and Saturday nights for Karaoke, and Sunday nights for Mariachi, to enjoy an unforgettable moment with us. Visit our website for more information and full menus, then let us satisfy your craving for something different tonight with our daily specials at La Fortaleza!
Reviewed 18 September 2017 via mobile

This place is a real find! The guac/salsa and stuffed jalapeños are awesome and the drinks and entrees are great too. Just be prepared to take a nice nap afterwards because you'll need one. FYI, the mojitos are first rate.

Reviewed 2 August 2017

This restaurant was recommended by a friend. Our choices of drinks & foods were not disappointed. Can't wait to return and bring more friends! We started with drinks: Frida Fresa Colada & Mango Mojito. They were both delicious. But next time, I will order the mango mojito! Our meals were delicious too. One order was "Mar Y Tierra". A combo skirt steak & shrimp in a garlic sauce, served with Mexican rice & beans. The other order was a very cheesy shrimp enchiladas. And for dessert, we shared a unique filled churro & chocolate sauce! Of course, we needed to take our meals & dessert home because it was too much to eat.

Reviewed 30 July 2017 via mobile

Went on Friday around 7pm 30 minute wait with no reservation, not bad. Walking into this restaurant from the street is stepping into another world. Colorfully decorated, day of the dead figures all around, glasses hanging. lots of Mexican favorites to choose from. fresh made guacamole and chips nice way to start. portions are huge. priced very reasonably dinner for 4 with drinks was 100 dollars.

Reviewed 24 May 2017 via mobile

I've been looking for an authentic Mexican restaurant in Jersey for the past 10 years! I grew up in California, where there's a surplus of Mexican food and accepting anything less was not ok with me.

Coming here really impressed me! They have decorated everything in nostalgia from my past like Cantinflas, Frida, Pedro Infante, El Santo, and El Chavo del Ocho figurines/artwork. The restrooms were also awesomely decorated. The sink was a molcajete and the soap dispenser was a patron bottle lol!

The food was amazing! I had the chilaquiles verdes and my Jarritos de Tamarindo. For desert we had the churros-also good. The only thing I wish was on the menu is Micheladas.

What I loved most was the integrity of the owner who hasn't watered down the food making it less spicy for the locals. This has been a disappointment with other restaurants here in Jersey! The food here had the perfect spicyness and flavor. I really wish I would have met the owner to give him a hug for the great ambiance and food.

Reviewed 24 May 2017 via mobile

Will not return
Guacamole premade no flavor
Chips oily
Fundido gross
Burritos ordered spicy - but had zero spice
Mole is ok but missing the chocolate richness
Refried beans just whipped grey paste
Rice was good
Food barely warm
Will not return

Been to La Fortaleza? Share your experiences!