“Nice place, good service, some unusual dishes”

Kyoto Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #42 of 130 Restaurants in Flemington
Reviewed 7 December 2017

We started with the avocado salad - sliced fruit with a nice dressing. Good starter. Also had the Salmon Taco - it was ok. We had a couple rolls - one being the namesake Kyoto roll, forget the other. They were typical, good. A lot of their rolls are fired or covered in sauce - neither of which we like.

Reviewed 13 July 2017

Although this is probably the best quality sushi and fish around Flemington, I would say I agree that some of the rolls are a bit busy (too much cream cheese). Overall nice flavours, great sashimi, simple decor, nice vibe. Sometimes they have uni and scallops, which is a plus, and I can usually get ikura (4-of-5 times it's really fresh). I haven't eaten many of the cooked dishes but their appetizers and salads are interesting and quite good value. I would recommend trying Kyoto if you are a regular at one of the other sushi places in town, because I think you might like this better (or at least you'll get to try some different maki).

Reviewed 18 December 2016

We dined here with friends and my husband & I decided to split some special rolls.. Although the food was fresh and well prepared, almost all of the rolls contained mayonnaise, cream cheese, or some other gooey sweet sauce. Also, they were too busy... too many ingredients shoved into them.
The sushi was good and fresh and the service was fine. I would definitely avoid the special rolls.

Reviewed 28 September 2016

I heard through a friend that this restaurant was awesome, so we went to try it out. Atmosphere nice, check. Service good, check... the food was good EXCEPT that even though they advertised having UNI (our fave) they didn't have any, disappointing. That is not such a big deal, sometimes that happens BUT the next we went (for lunch this time) their SPECIALS listed some UNI dish, we were happy, so that was the first thing we ordered. She takes our order and comes back and tells us that they have no more UNI. The place was not filled, it was 12 noon - how could they possible not have any?? Then, the bill (for lunch for 2) was $70 - which I thought was way too much. We decided that we would not be going back.

Reviewed 27 September 2016 via mobile

Had a nice meal here with hubby. Sushi is fresh, staff is friendly and prices are reasonable. Great little place in the neighborhood for a quick bite. Small but cozy. Will visit again.