“Just what we were looking for - a Korean Bar-b-Que place”
Review of Picnic Garden

Picnic Garden
Ranked #34 of 320 Restaurants in Edison
Cuisines: Korean
Reviewed 16 September 2016

We had just done our Asian cuisine shopping at H Mart in Edison when we spotted this restaurant IN THE SAME SHOPPING CENTER. It was lunch time and we were hungry for some Asian food. Having seen so much about Korean food and barbecue lately on TV, we were curious and tried it.
WE were greeted by the manager very politely and asked if we were first time diners at the restaurant. Since we had never been there before, he helped us to a large booth
with a gas hibachi sunken into the center of the table. He explained that you could go up to the buffet table to get marinated meats of all kinds(all completely labeled in English),
bring them back to the table and barbecue your own meant and vegetables. Each type of meat had a different marinade/all good, some spicier than the others. Also on the buffet were regular Asian selections such as: spring rolls, breaded and fried onion rings; hot
kimchee rice and regular white rice, Korean pancakes' and several others. On the table
were placed by the waiters a plate of fresh crispy lettuce leaves for making a roll. A plate of two dipping sauces and dichon thinly sliced with thinly sliced scallions (I mean thinly)They are to be used in the rolls or how ever you are eating your meat. There were other sauces on the buffet table to use for flavoring your food. For desert there were fresh pineapple chunks and fresh watermelon chunks, some other things and a wonderful ice cream station wirth 5 flavor choices including the popular Green Tea flavor. The ice cream was self serve- you ball your own with ice cream scooper. The ice cream was particularly smooth and creamy. During our meal, the manager stopped several times to see if we needed help. The bus boys were continually removing used plates and left overs.
This idea for a restaurant is a fabulous one but there should be more of a selection
in the vegetable section and the price should be displayed before the customers eat.
MORE NOODLE SELECTIONS,TOO. It's a little expensive for lunch approx. 18:00 a piece. It was a fun experience and would be great for a large group of people - 6 or so.
YOU EAT WHILE YOU COOK IN FRONT OF YOU....TRY IT YOU'LL LIKE IT. This place is clean ! and friendly !

1  Thank Hillsborough_NJLaLa

Reviewed 28 March 2016

When we walked into this restaurant my wife's words became the title of this review "I am sure this is what heaven smells like"

Picnic Garden Buffet is in a strip mall along side a large Korean grocery store and several other Korean and other Asian eateries. It is bright and clean inside with a very modern appearance.comfortable yet quite functional and not in the least bit crowded.

Our hostess made sure that we knew what we were getting - mostly raw meat to be grilled on the table top and a selection of other cooked foods both hot and cold. She also informed us of the price right up front $33.00 per person on a Sunday evening. She wanted to make sure we knew what Korean Bar-b-que was (Oh my yes yes I do mamn I told her in my heavily accented Korean)

I am not sure if this is a BYO place I think so but not 100% sure. We had barley tea and some soft drinks.

On to the buffet! A wonderful selection of meats including all the favorites like Bukgogi and Galbiqui.and chicken spicy and not various pork including Korean bacon lamb and shrimp and various seafood - the selection was more than adequate.

I nice selection of panchan to be had all pretty typical kimchi, kaktogi, kungnamul muchim and of course potato salad to name a few. As well as some hot dishes ranging from a nice fried whiting to chicken wings (yeah not when there is Kalbi to be had but thanks) Rice both white and with beans and some soups and every manner of things one might add to bar-b-que like raw onion - hot pepper - garlic all kinds of goodies.

We had a bunch of the meats but I want to focus in on the Kalbi - it was absolutely perfect. They had both the thin sliced variety and some that was on the bone filet off and I have to say it was amazing. The staff (Chas) was so attentive getting things cooked and cut with scissors and keeping the grill clean. This young man just got done getting an engineering degree and is waiting his first job in that field - bless him for being such a hard worker.

The Kalbi was perfectly marinated and just butter tender, Lots of fat that just made it melt in your mouth. I am pretty sure I personally broke the bank on Kalbi alone. Some may balk at a $33 bill for dinner but go next door to the grocery and see what they charge for Kalbi ($13.99 /lb) The Blugogi was darn good too very tender and well marinated.

I am stuffed I am in a Kalbi coma right now!

Some how I managed to get a little scoop of red bean and some green tea ice cream in me. I am sure I will explode now!

This place has my highest rating - every point was spot on - Just go there!

Reviewed 26 March 2016

We thoroughly enjoyed the hugh food selection and attentive service.
There were cooked and u cooked food to bring back to your table and then your server cooked the raw food right there on a grill inside your table. Very cool! It was delicious!

Reviewed 19 March 2016 via mobile

Went here with coworkers for dinner midweek and the place was empty. There was a large variety of fresh, marinated meats. Plenty of vegetable dishes too. The bulgogi was not the best cuts of beef since there was gristle and some toughness. I ended up eating a lot of chicken and shrimp instead. The grill was kind of small for all of our meat but it got the job done. The kimchi was great. I'd come here again when I go shopping at Hmart next door. I prefer the Korean bbq places in NY for food quality but like this place better for lack of crowds, cleanliness and spaciousness.

Reviewed 6 March 2016 via mobile

Great tasting food. Variety of meat with many traditional side dishes. Bring your appetite because it's non stop eating. Only annoyance is that when it gets crowded you have to wait for meat to be put out on the buffet station. I recommend going mid week.

Been to Picnic Garden? Share your experiences!