“Nice Place to go for Chinese Meal at Edgewater”

Duck King Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #41 of 93 Restaurants in Edgewater
Reviewed 7 January 2016

We went for lunch at the Duck King. they have 2 sets of menu for Asian/Chinese/Asian or locals. The menu for Asian will be more suitable for the Chinese.

We ate the Peking duck and it is nice, almost identical to those available here in asia. We also ordered the shredded pork cooked Asian style which is nice. Other dishes are also nice. Must try is also the Shanghai soup dumpling.

Since we went there on our last day, we have not got the opportunity to taste other menu but it is worth to return in the near future

Date of visit: December 2015
1  Thank KcW0ng

Reviewed 26 October 2015

I studied Chinese at the masters degree level many years ago and often went into Chinatown with my professors and classmates to enjoy the many A+ Chinese restaurants then on every block. Over time, for reasons beyond my understanding, the great ones folded one by one. Eventually, sensational Chinese restaurants became virtually impossible to find either in Manhattan or on our side of the Hudson. Then, about five years ago, Duck King came along to save the day, The decor is considerably better than is the case with most Chinese restaurants. The service is superior. The owner, Mrs. Lan, has a long-tenured wait staff working for her. When there is turnover, she will only hire highly experienced replacements. The main attraction is the food...scrumptious. Typically the tables are half filled with Chinese people (always a good sign). Many native dishes are not on the English menu (I can't figure that one out). If you see something intriguing, ask your waiter about it. He will explain it to you and get it for you if you wish. Under appetizers, I would recommend the fried meat patties (nee roh sheen bean) phonetically, and fried pork dumplings. The hot and sour soup is great. We always take two quarts home with us. I can't think of any main courses that have been disappointing. Throw a dart at the menu and you'll come up with a winner. The Peking Duck, needless to say, is out of this world. For my wife and me, and other family members, and friends, if we go there just as a couple or with many people, we know that we'll all be in for a treat. Duck King in Edgewater truly is a nostalgia trip back in time to when outstanding Chinese cuisine really did mean outstanding.
P.S. The TripAdvisor website made me choose one date that I visited Duck king. In fact, I was there soon after it opened and many, many times since then.

Date of visit: September 2015
1  Thank Mark A
Reviewed 27 July 2015

I was there with a number of friends for a Saturday lunch. The food was quite fine and tasty. The service was very good, although the waiter may have tried a little too hard to push for the more expensive dishes!! The tiny pot-stickers were really quite excellent. I wish we had ordered the soup-dumplings as well. The wine-chicken was quite good. All in all, a good experience for a Saturday lunch. I recommend it highly.

Date of visit: July 2015
Reviewed 20 April 2015

today was my 21st birthday and my family wanted to have a nice family dinner.
and since I've been craving Beijing Duck for months now ever since my last trip to China.
so I was so excited to look duck king chinese restaurant but saw all these negative reviews on it and I got really worried but it was the only chinese fine cuisine restaurant in nj so I had no choice so I decided to give it a shot.
but it turns out to have the best atmosphere, service and food...
it was literally perfection! it was everything I wanted a chinese fine cuisine restaurant..
I was so satisfied with the service and the food was just 10 out of 10 amazing! so I decided to leave a positive review because I wouldn't want others to rely on those negative reviews when this restaurant had the best food! and great service!
it was a memorable night tonight (:
it was a great birthday dinner! hands down the best birthday dinner :D

Date of visit: April 2015
Reviewed 23 November 2014

We have eaten here many times and our relatives often rent the space for their mahjong parties. So you would think they would appreciate our business. We went one time with visitors and the restaurant was not busy. We ordered the peking duck and it was burnt beyond recognition. We mentioned this to the waiter but he proceeded to slice it up. When we tasted it, it was awful, probably taking it in and out of the oven given no business that evening. We mentioned it the owner - the large lady who always sits in the front watching her videos with her grandkids running around - and she commented that this is how it is and you can take it or leave it! This was shocking response - especially being a regular customer who spends a lot of money renting the private area for parties. Look, we've been there many other times when the food and service has been fine - but if ownership treats the customers this way - we are happy to take our business elsewhere.

Date of visit: July 2014