“Solid takeout Chinese”

Kwong Fat
Ranked #15 of 65 Restaurants in Eatontown
Price range: US$5 - US$10
Reviewed 12 August 2015 via mobile

A solid takeout Chinese restaurant although they do have tables to eat in. They have a terrific luncheon special that is good enough for an early dinner. The favorite for many of my friends is General Tso's chicken which has a good flavor and a lot of chicken. The fried rice and lo mein are also tasty. I also enjoy the Chicken with Garlic Saice. It's not fancy but it's good food for a good price.

Date of visit: August 2015

Reviewed 24 August 2013

Reasonable prices, HUGE portions, and quick service. Who could ask for more from a local Chinese take-out. BTW, they do have tables to eat in.

Date of visit: August 2013
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I have been going to Kwong Fat for many years. It's a very small, nondescript restaurant in a shopping plaza adjacent to where route 36 and the Garden State Parkway meet.

The kitchen is open so you can see everything being prepared. The rest of the restaurant consists of a few tables to sit at. I would never come here to sit and eat. This has nothing to do with the cleanliness of the place but rather the fact that it just doesn't seem inviting.

Fortunately, most of the time I do come and pick up my meal, there are always Chinese people occupying the seats. That's a good indicator of a great Chinese restaurant when their own people prefer to dine there.

In any event, the portions are generally huge. I always ask for the dinner size even at lunch. Most of the combo platters can be had for under $9. For the amount of food you get, that's a pretty good deal.

The food is fantastic. My favorite is their General Cho chicken. I have never seen chicken as tender as it is here. It breaks off on the fork. The sauce is nice and spicy to the point where I will always break out in a sweat while indulging in it. When I am with other people and don't want to perspire in front of them, I opt for the boneless ribs. They are also very good.

The only downside to this place is the phone etiquette. The lady that answers the phone is very short, sometimes seemingly rude. I know the place is very busy at times so that may account for them trying to move the calls along. However, when I do pick up the food, I have never encountered any rudeness in service. Their staff is very friendly and the food is always ready five minutes before they tell you it will be.

I am always disappointed when co-workers order from other Chinese places in the area. The food is just short of being as good as Kwong Fat. I consider myself very fortunate to have the best Chinese restaurant in the area so close to my home.

Date of visit: June 2013
1  Thank RonboNJ
Reviewed 16 October 2012

The food is like any normal Chinese food place, but they have a wonton noodle soup that reminds me of one I used to get all the time in Chinatown, that gives it a thumbs up for me!

Not a lot of seating so I never ate in the restaurant, but take out or delivery is always best for Chinese anyway

Date of visit: July 2012
Reviewed 16 October 2012

Been going to kwong fat for years to include high school, college and work years. the prices are extremely reasonable and portions are large. Portions can be shared between two people. Lunch time is usually crazy. Not sure how much that has changed since the base closed and i moved with it :(

Date of visit: December 2011