“Very good and authentic Spanish food”

Jai Alai Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 53 Restaurants in Dover
Cuisines: French, Spanish
Reviewed 14 May 2017

First time dining here. You can easily not find this place as it's almost blocked out by the overpass. Inside the place is somewhat dated in styling but we loved it. We enjoyed our chat at the bar with Sal (owner) before we ate. We ordered the typical Spanish items like Gambas al ajillo and Chorizo which didn't disappoint. Among the four diners, we ordered paella, scallops/shrimp and Filet. Everyone loved their dinners. The sangria was good, not the best I've ever had though. We'll be back.
Semper Fi Sal.

Reviewed 22 April 2017

Went with a group of five - we ordered multiple appetizers, including the chorizo and calamari - all excellent! Our dinners were fresh and delicious. We had several pitchers of their red sangria - everyone enjoyed their food! Service was friendly but slow which didn't matter to us because everything was excellent and worth the wait!

Reviewed 17 April 2017 via mobile

My wife and I went on a Friday evening. My wife has been trying to get me to go there for the last 5 yrs and we finally went. The place has been there for a long time and the sign is still lit. Though it is located on a shady looking side street of Dover, with limited parking, this place has charm once you walk in the door. We started out with a large pitcher of their famous red Sangria, which did not disappoint! The place was almost full to capacity, so there was quite a long wait between courses, about twenty minutes. We started with the mushroom caps filled with cheese. There were 4 of them and they were delicious. My pic shows only 2 that were on my plate, my wife had 2 also. Then we ordered the Jai Also salad. It was enough for 2 people at twelve dollars. It was chilled perfectly and had a delicious dressing. It had nice slices of cheese, and red onions that were amazing. For our main course my wife had the mahi mahi, and I had the shrimp and scallops in a garlic sauce. Both were cooked perfectly and very tasty. They serve carrots and broccoli as a side and papas Fritas, like sliced home made potato chips, which were amazing also. Though our dine time was a little over 2 hours, the food, ambiance, and friendly service gives this place 5 stars in my book. I highly recommend trying this place for Basque style Spanish food.

1  Thank Pat L
Reviewed 27 March 2017

The Jai Alai is an amazing place to dine! They make the best red or white sangria and the appetizers are exquisite! I personally enjoy the mushrooms, escargot, and black bean soup. I cannot decide what entree to order, they are all amazing! The paella is a favorite! The staff is very friendly and they make you feel right at home! I cannot wait to return and try other items on the menu!

Reviewed 25 March 2017

Visited this restaurant for the first time with two other couples. Everyone was very pleased with his/her food. Atmosphere was pleasant, and service was attentive. And even though nearly every table was occupied, it was remarkably quiet, allowing for easy conversation (something rare in restaurants these days, it seems). We will be back.