“Overall it's just hectic.”
Review of The Pop Shop

The Pop Shop
Ranked #1 of 3 Dessert in Collingswood
Cuisines: American, Diner
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations, Takeout
Description: The Pop Shop serves whimsical American comfort cuisine. Featured nationally on “Throwdown with Bobby Flay” on The Food Network. Kids’ menu was awarded “Best Menu in America” by Restaurant Hospitality magazine. The huge menu includes 30 grilled cheese, dozens of pancakes, creative burgers, salads and sandwiches, hand cut fries, and gourmet sundaes and milkshakes. All day breakfast. Retro décor with 1950’s soda counter and bubble gum colors. Private banquet space for up to 100.
Reviewed 19 November 2011

We've been here several times over the last few years. I've never bothered reviewing it, but after two recent visits...it's time. First of all, it's really noisy. One could argue that it's for kids and noise is to be expected. While that's true, between the high ceilings and tile floors, the echoes from little children are everywhere. It's pure chaos, and not fun chaos. Secondly, the food really isn't that good. It's pretty heavy and greasy and they offer so many options, it's overwhelming to even read the menu. Lastly...the service. The serving staff should be accustomed to kids by now, yet they seemed really stressed out and don't seem to want to liven it up for the kids (at least the ones with us...who might I add, are honestly well behaved). It's kind of a grump fest and I don't want to go back. The kids will probably ask to go again so we'll deal with that when it comes up. They do give balloons to the kids but our particular server never offered. When we inquired about getting balloons we were told they didn't know how to use the equipment to blow up the balloons. Imagine hearing that as a 5 year old while you see other kids with balloons. Overall it's just hectic.

There are newer reviews for The Pop Shop

Reviewed 31 October 2011

The Pop Shop is great for families with children. We had fun just watching all the children. The food is American fare, things like grilled cheese, meatloaf, hamburgers, macaroni and cheese, etc. The menu is huge and comes in the form of something that looks like a newspaper. No dressing up needed either. Top off your meal with ice cream or an old fashioned milkshake. Best of all, the prices don't break the bank. The style is nostalgic with its soda fountain, counter seats, booths, and tables. All the wait staff appear to be teens or young college students. Overall, a fun family place to eat if you don't want to get dressed up and want something to eat that hits the spot! And it's way better than any fast food joint!

1  Thank sillygirl49
Reviewed 18 October 2011

The Pop Shop is really cute and it a great place for kids, but it gets really, really loud in there. People tend to let their kids run around and the noise just gets overwhelming. The food is fine with a big menu selection. Breakfast is good whith a good variety. Lunch and dinner are alright, but the prices are a little high for what you get. It's cute, but not worth the commotion.

Reviewed 11 October 2011

My wife and I have heard about this place for awhile and decided to make a date out of The Pop Shop and a stroll around Collingswood. We missed the lunch rush by minutes securing our window seat before the line wrapped around the building.

The restaurant does not seem to fit the space it occupies. The floor is a white tile and is the room is very open and tall. It's as if it was dropped down into a school cafeteria. It was very, very loud and mostly filled with younger children.

We were served quickly and did not wait long for our food. I ordering a cheeseburger and the Collingswood Fries. The cheeseburger left a lot to be desired and the fries while they were hand cut were not very tasty. The Old Bay Seasoning on the fries overpowered the bland cheese and burnt crumbles of bacon.

Overall, this place is over-hyped by the Soda Fountain and Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. The food was not very good and was entirely too loud to enjoy eating. At least I can say I ate there.

1  Thank Trackrunner1010
Reviewed 3 October 2011

I splurged and got a chicken/jalapeno grilled cheese instead of my normal salad. It was huge and I only ate half of it. I hate to see how much butter is slathered on before grilling but I know that my fat allotment is gone for the week! Ok, I knew it but I still got a Key Lime Milkshake which was delicious.
I was here with my family and my MIL. All of our orders were gigantic. Definitely shareable. We all took things home. Even the kids' ice cream was really large for a child.
I let the kids get mixed drinks. When they'll stir up the drinks for you, I always get the Raspberry Dr. Pepper and I love it. I drink maybe 2 sodas a year and its worth it.
The atmosphere is a little loud but expected. We had no problem getting a table for 6 at 5:30 on a Sunday but by the time we left, the line was out the door.