“Sheesh”

Howard Johnson Inn Clifton NJ
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Clifton
Reviewed 23 July 2015

A far cry from DECENT.... Total dissatisfaction.... I've stayed at the location in Newark, nj and it was 200 times better .... the Clifton location is in serious SERIOUS need of remodeling and upgrades.... let's start with the comforters having cigarette Burns in them.... terrible

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
romi G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Clifton NJ, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2015

Hello Ibn w,

I apologize very much for the horrible experience you had during your stay as per the comments I realize that the stay was very uncomfortable. I have called my housekeeping staff and retrained them on housekeeping and the front desk staff has been informed on the way to approach and deliver service to each guest.

Reviewed 18 July 2015

We arrived late into the evening July 14 the lobby was smelly, but the room was clean and acceptable for my family of 5 to stay comfortably. The desk clerk was very friendly and helpful. The beds were comfortable, but the wifi signal is weak. We decided it was nice enough to spend another night there. That was a total mistake. The second night I awoke to a smell coming from our bathroom. We always sleep with the bathroom light on and the door a little bit open to assist with late night washroom trips for the kids. Anyway, when I went into the washroom there was an awful smell of smoke filling into our washroom. I closed the door immediately, stuffed our bedding blanket around the bottom of the door and called down to the front desk. It was about 2:30am and the desk staff told me to turn on the washroom fan, I said it is not working. He came up to help me and smell for himself how bad it was. He opened the door and immediately could smell and taste the thick smoke in the room. He responded shocked and closed the door immediately and acknowledged that it was real bad. By the way, the rooms are non smoking rooms! Anyway the staff member offered to move us to another room, but since I had stuffed the bedding along the floor to close off the gap between the door and the floor, I cranked the air conditioner fan and opened the sliding door, it was ok in the room. We just couldn't use the washroom!! Never mind the fact that I would have to move 3 kids, luggage and make up another sofa bed for us to sleep on at 2:30 in the morning!! I never really slept that night as I was concerned someone would enter our room through the sliding door and there was no screen on the sliding door either. The next morning we had opened the front door, the sliding door wide open and opened that washroom door to air it out so that we could use it. This was a terrible experience that should not occur in a non smoking area/room. The night staff told me to speak to the manager first thing in the morning. I went to speak to him only to be told he isn't in till later and no one even apologized for the incident that we had to endure during our stay. Not one person said I am sorry for your inconvenience!! I was told the manager would call the following day, but he never called and that has been 2 days now. I phoned the hotel and asked to speak to him, but again was told he wasn't in. Does anyone else see the pattern?? I phoned head office to complain about our experience as this is totally unacceptable. First of all the fan not working in the washroom, smoke smell in a area/room that is non smoking. Perhaps something wrong with their venting system?? Also it was was not acceptable to have no screen on the sliding door and lastly not one staff member apologizing for the experience. The staff said that they can not control what guests do, so I said who is supposed to control them then? I was considering staying there again, since our first night was fine, but after this experience I would think twice before choosing to stay here again. I gave this hotel a terrible rating for sleep quality only because of the 2nd nights experience, but the bedding is comfortable and the rooms are quiet. Also gave a terrible rating for service again only because of the 2nd nights experience, but the man who check us in on the first night who was also the staff member that came up to help with the bathroom fan in the middle of the night was very pleasant and friendly. The 2 morning staff were not so friendly, no smiles, and not pleasant to deal with.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
romi G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Clifton NJ, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2015

Hello Guest,

Reviewed 10 July 2015

The only reason that we did not immediately leave the room in search of another hotel was because we had been driving for ten hours that day and were positively exhausted. There were stains all over the walls and bathroom floor. The entire room smelled like must and smoke, which aggravated my dad's asthma. The beds were sloppily made and our bathroom towels were slightly damp (not sure if from mildewy atmosphere or poor drying). I would not stay here again. The front desk staff were very nice, and that was a redeeming quality. Thanks for reading, and I hope this helps you make your hotel the best it can be.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson
1  Thank jamestT4914RX
romi G, General Manager at Howard Johnson Inn Clifton NJ, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2015

Hello Guest,

Reviewed 8 July 2015 via mobile

We paid around 175$ per night for this run down hotel. The doors were broken, the flush wasnt working, we spotted bugs, the vending machine was not working. The staff were courteous. But thats the only good thing about the hotel. They dont have complimentary breakfast. The cab to New york will cost $70. There are better choices if you wanna stay around new york.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank nephelolater

Hello archna3,

Reviewed 7 July 2015 via mobile

The smell off the hallway made me feel like I was in a meth lab. Horrible and made me gag every time I entered it! No bugs, but this place is rundown. No pool, no trash pickup and water damage in rooms. Room 206 finds very sketchy clientele frequent this place. I wouldn't pay to stay here. I'd sleep in my car.

Stayed: July 2015, travelled on business

Hello Nancy-annette C,

I apologize very much for the horrible experience you had during your stay as per the comments I realize that the stay was very uncomfortable. I have called my housekeeping staff and retrained them on housekeeping. The scent should not repeat again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifton
1.5 km away
8.8 km away
Holiday Inn Totowa
Holiday Inn Totowa
#1 of 1 in Totowa

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Clifton NJ? Share your experiences!