“Home away from home”
Review of Highland House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Highland House
Ranked #26 of 39 Cape May B&B and Inns
Allentown, Pennsylvania
“Home away from home”
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We have stayed at both the cottage and Highland House. I believe our dogs really believe the cottage is their home. If you are a pet lover, you cannot find a lovier or more accomodating environment to vacation with your pets. Terry is the best. She is amazing. I hope to be as active and sharp as she is when I get to that age. The food is excellent, the place is clean and warm. Very accomodating and kind people.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Rose M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 5 December 2011

I can't think of any reason to even look into this inn other than the dog policy. I drove down to Cape May with my 13yr old Husky mix for a Sunday night off-season stay. The front of the "inn" was garishly decorated and upon ringing the doorbell I heard a barking dog and voices, but no one answered. Finally, a first floor guest came to the door and asked what I wanted. At that point I should have just turned around....She let me in and went to find Terry, an old woman who serves as proprietor, cook, house keeper, etc....It gave me some time to check things out. There was an Aklita behind a baby gate closing off the first floor room and it barked incessantly even when was out of its line of sight. The dining area was a cluttered mess, every surface covered with something. The entire downstairs felt very claustrophobic.

Terry finally came in and kept calling me Sandy which is not my name. She showed me the available room, gave me a price and said it was cash only (something not mentioned on the website). I have to wonder if off season stays are not reported to the government.

The room was reasonably clean but cluttered and the Akita was still barking. Overall the atmosphere was not what I had expected or desired for a relaxing getaway. Dave, Terry's son, seemed like a nice guy when I met him briefly. I do have to say, though, that despite touting themselves as "pet friendly", there were no questions asked about my own dog.

The location in West Cape May was nice. There is a great coffee shop around the corner (open year round) and some neat shops/art studios. The beach is not far away (20 min walk or quick bike ride).

I decided to stay at the Marquis which was less expensive and right on the water, and the weather for the first week in December was in the 60's so I couldn't complain!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank efvet
HighlandHouseCapeMay, Owner at Highland House, responded to this review, 17 May 2012
Thank you for reviewing the Highland House. I’m sorry your first impression of our place was an unpleasant one for you. I remember meeting you and also remember the Akita that visited that particular weekend. We welcome all guests with pets. We understand that some dogs are behaved and some are not so behaved. We also realize that we could never completely sound proof our rooms but have had 4 of the rooms walls filled with a sound proofing insulation in hopes of minimizing the noise level. The owners of the Akita told us that their dog had separation anxiety and asked if we would let them open their door and place a baby gate in the doorway so that their dog could see them while they weren’t in their room. Of course we agreed. Unfortunately, it did not seem to help.

I apologize that you thought our holiday decorations were garish. We have a tree that we set up on our front porch every holiday season. Yes, it has seen better days. The friend of ours that built the very large and festive tree stand passed way over 10 years ago. The condition isn’t as it once was but it represents something much more to us. If it offended you enough to enter such a negative comment about our decorations we apologize but it will be placed outside as long as it still stands.

The reservation you chose not to keep was a Sunday during our off season. Unfortunately, that time of year we are not only the Inn Keepers, we are also the house keepers. Sunday’s is the day when the turn over of guests is the busiest. We have no choice on days like this but to clean and prepare the guest rooms in time for the new guests and leave the dining room until last. When you arrived, the reason we didn’t hear the door was because we were on a different floor cleaning the rooms. Fortunately, one of our guests was nice enough to answer the door. I apologize that you arrived before everything was in place. We try to offer a very early check-in so that the guests can enjoy their visit as long as possible. It obviously backfired.

I personally tell each guest that we do not accept credit cards when they place the reservation. Guests are always asked to mail us one night’s deposit. We looked into accepting credit cards but have found it to be too costly. Rather than passing the cost onto the guests we simply ask for payment by check, money order to cash. I assure you there is no need to wonder if we report our off season stays to the government. Uncle Sam is paid a monthly and quarterly tax for all transactions that you can bet on. Thanks for mentioning that it’s not on our site although I don’t quite understand what that has to do with finding our place an unpleasant one. I’ll see if the web designer will be able to add that we do not accept credit cards onto one of our pages.

I apologize that no one asked you about your own dog. We certainly would have made a fuss over him/her had you brought him/her inside with you instead of leaving him/her in your car. We honestly didn’t know if you were traveling alone or with someone or a pet. You decided that our place wasn’t for you before we had a chance to have a friendly conversation.

I hope I helped clear up all of your concerns and am sorry that your less than 15 minute visit was enough for you to post a negative review. We truly care about the guests that visit and their pets and want each one to have a great stay. I’m glad to read that the Marquis was the right place for you.

I’d also like to add to other prospective guests reading your review and my reply that I hope Tripadvisor will review their guidelines so that the reviews that are entered are truly fair. I don’t know how fair it is to write a review on an establishment if the person didn’t actually stay at all. You were at our place less than 15 minutes and were pretty disappointed. I’d like to think if you would have given us a chance you would have had a change of heart.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
Reviewed 1 December 2011

Highland House is a beautiful and charming bed and breakfast where you feel like you're at a home away from home!!! So cozy and welcoming!!!! Terry is the owner's mother and she is extremely warm, welcoming and when you leave, you'll feel like you just added another member to your own family!! Not to mention, your tastebuds will love her delicious breakfasts!! Request the french toast - it's amazing!!!! Your pets will love the Highland House too!!! Highland House is the Best Choice for a Pet-Friendly Stay in Cape May!!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Christina P
Chester, PA
Reviewed 29 November 2011

We have been vacationing here since 2006 several times a year along with our dogs. A warm, courteous staff in addition to a clean, charming decor makes it a true find. Terry and Dave Ripoli, the innkeepers really bend over backwards to ensure their guests are comfortable. It's a home away from home. We look forward to many more vacations there over the years.

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank marie0414
Brooklawn, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 November 2011

September was our 3rd visit and as always, my 4 Golden Retrievers and I had a great time! The first 2 years, we stayed in Room II, but this year we tried Room I. Both are suites with their own deck/patio areas. Both were perfect for our needs. We love it there! I've never found the place to be anything but spotless and the breakfasts are delicious. Like I said in a previous review, if you're looking for fancy, you should go to one of the high end B&B's in town. There are some wonderful ones. But if you want a cozy, visiting a friend type atmosphere where you can bring your best friends, then Highland House is the place for you. I don't know how Terry does it, but she's up at the crack of dawn to make sure we have a delicious breakfast. When the last dish is washed, she's off to clean whichever rooms need to be cleaned that day. (I've seen it with my own eyes. She really does it all!!). With all of that, she still has time to make each guest and their dog/dogs feel at home. I've seen some less than positive reviews, which make me sad because I've never seen any of the negatives mentioned. I would never stay anywhere else. In fact, we enjoy it so much that I made next year's reservations as soon as we got home from our last visit! 2012 will be bittersweet because I just lost Cassie, so September was her last visit.. How she loved Cape May!!

Room Tip: The 2 rooms in the back are suites. Each has it's own deck/patio area and are perfect in a case...