“If you have about 3 hours for dinner...go here”
Review of Casa Solar - CLOSED

Casa Solar
Price range: US$20 - US$25
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 August 2011

Ate at Casa Solar this past weekend and I am in agreement with most of the other reviewers. I did read the reviews beforehand and was well aware that the service might be slow, but I didn't think I would be bothered by it. We did wait about 45 minutes before we received our appetizer...an order of empanadas. They were good, a bit dry for my taste...I've definitely had better. We finished an entire bottle of wine before we even got our entrees. Once the entrees arrived, my boyfriend was very disappointed with his tilapia entree. It was in a broth of tomato and was super bland. My camarones entree on the other hand was pretty good and I would recommend it. I am in the restaurant industry myself, and feel that this restaurant could do a lot better were it run a bit differently. They had one person to give water, one person to hand out the check, one person to come to tell you that another person would take our order...it was very strange but maybe there was training occurring. It was not all that busy either, so the time we spent there wasn't really justified. I don't know that we would re-visit Casa Solar, although many of their tapas sounded really delicious and I might give it another shot just for those.

1  Thank Jables79

Reviewed 2 August 2011

Good Spanish food especially the tapas. The soups are excellent and a meal in its self. Food is all made to order and are very slow coming out. BYOB so bring a lot while you wait. Chef/Owner very defensive to criticism. Needs a customer relationship adjustment.

1  Thank Tucmar
Reviewed 30 July 2011

2 hours to get food??? Had us ther till 10:45 pm... My buddy orders scallops, they bring shrimp and say "they hope that's ok"??? No specials, limited menu, over cooked food and when you complain they get defensive. Would not reccomend this place to anyone, they never heard the phrase "customer is always right" they act like they are doing you a favor.

Reviewed 4 October 2010

My wife and I went to Casa Solar last night for our fifth time. The food was good, but this was our worst experience of the lot. We waited about 30 minutes, which we were fine with, since we walked in at 8:00 on a Saturday night without a reservation. We had never seen the place this busy, so it has gotten a lot more popular in recent months. After we sat down, we realized that there was only 1 server and 2 busboys / runners for the entire restaurant, which includes 15 tables and, on this particular night, a private party on the back patio for 20 people. They were grossly understaffed. The service was extremely slow and we had to ask twice for everything - more salsa, water, salt & pepper. After my third unsuccessful request for water, I brought my glass to the kitchen and asked them to fill it up. I was prepared to go fill it up in the bathroom sink if I had to.

It costs the restaurant nothing to add on a couple servers for the night; I would highly recommend they do so. The lack of service really made an impression on us, and not a good one.

Regarding the food, it looks like they've raised their appetizer prices a bit. At $15, the black bean dip was a disappointment. If it were $7 or $8, it would have been OK, but for $15, we expected more. I got the ancho chili crusted rib eye steak with grilled veg and fries. It was excellent and huge. I only at 1/3 of it and brought it home for 2 additional meals. My wife had the Halibut, which was fresh and delicious. We didn't get dessert tonight. We normally do, but just couldn't wait around any longer.

To sum it all up, we still love the food and atmosphere at Casa Solar. And we love that it's a BYOB. They really should do something about the lack of service though.

Reviewed 21 May 2010

The food is delicious. Unfortunately it comes out very slow. I know I can't blame the waiter for it, the kitchen is slow, but the food is worth it. When coming here make sure to enjoy a relaxed dinner and if you have plans, make a reservation early. Gotta try the tapas style appetizers, yummy paella, and desserts!!