“Nice find”

Charlies of Bay Head
Reserve with OpenTable
Charlies of Bay Head is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 6 Restaurants in Bay Head
Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

My wife and I along with friends enjoyed an excellent dinner at Charlies this week. Cocktails and wine were more than adequately sized, which were allowed to enjoy while perusing the menu. Each of us chose appetizers, the ladies each had the crab stuffed deviled eggs. Both liked the choice though they would have been happier I'd there was a little more crab. My friend ordered a tomato mozzarella salad which I tasted. Tomato was very good and the mozzarella was creamy. For myself I had the drunken clams, in a nice wine and garlic sauce. The clams were accompanied by a very buttery crostini which was excellent. For dinner 3 of us ordered the flounder, 2 francesse style and 1 amandine style. The francesse style came off menu and chose a nicely prepared capallini in lieu of the sautéed spinach. Ask for extra sauce. Our forth ordered the halibut which she said was made perfectly. Desserts though made in house were fair and on the small sized. Key lime pie with gram cracker crust was sweet while a creme brûlée was tasty but almost none existent on the plate. Overall the meals were very good and we will be back for sure when we are in the area again.

Reviewed 6 August 2017

Dinner for 10 people, we were seated upstairs - lots of space, even though the restaurant was completely full. Service was great and very attentive.

Food was excellent - especially any of the fish dishes. We were told to try the seafood tower and were not disappointed. This would have done as an appetizer for the whole table (had we known) ! All the appetizers were first rate and filling. Main courses were good - but some felt the portions were a little small (not an issue for us on the night as we had all filled up on appetizers, but might be worth checking if you were going for main course only).

Overall a great experience.

Reviewed 5 August 2017

Enjoyed a nice meal at Charlies with another couple. They offer valet parking when you arrive. Our table was ready as reserved. The restaurant has two floors, the first with a nice bar and a small dining area that extends to an outdoor balcony. The second floor has a private dining area and a large, room with high ceilings and large windows. I ordered the hangar steak, served with fries, it was well prepared with a nice spicy sauce. The Caesar Salad was also nice. My wife enjoyed the tomato caprese salad, which had nice NJ tomatoes. She ordered the Flounder for her main course. It was good, but a little too much butter sauce for her liking. Our friends ordered the lamb chops, which looked very good and the Lobster roll. For dessert they tried the chocolate cookie with ice cream in a skillet. Came out warm and tasty For my wife and I, with a beer and two wines, the bill was $157, with tip. A little pricey.

Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

We were overall very happy with our long awaited meal (being a decades long shore resident, I know better than to walk into a restaurant on the Jersey Shore without a reservation and we had to make one three weeks out to get the time we wanted.

The service was very good. Our waitress was attentive and friendly and I loved that the tables were not smushed together to take up every inch of floor space. I was a bit surprised at some of the prices; my boyfriend was not, so I will chalk the difference in views to my inherent economizing nature.

We shared the special risotto appetizer, which was very tasty, but we were surprised that the wonderful list of ingredients ended with bacon, which neither added nor detracted to the taste from our thinking. This was followed by the only disappointment of the evening... a Caesar salad which I thought lacked dressing and therefore, any taste.

My boyfriend had the fish special, trout with panko bread crumbs and ??banana peppers?? Again with the strange ingredient, but the scallion potatoes were spot on and after scraping the peppers to the side, actually enjoyed the dish greatly & actually took the leftovers (minus the peppers) home.

I went with the grilled salmon and quinoa dish which was quite tasty and cooked to order.

Dessert was a very good key lime pie and cappucinos. We are returning this weekend with friends to check out the lunch menu.

Based on this experience, we are hoping that Charlie's stays open after the tourists go home so that we can add it to our repetoire of places to get a nice meal without hiking into Manhattan...

Reviewed 28 July 2017

Arrived at Charilies at 6:30 and were told there were no open tables outside. Not a huge problem. We knew this was a possibility. After ordering super nice martinis, we ordered and were told it would take a while and we might want to consider an appetizer. We opted not to but asked the server to take a picture of us since we have known each other for 40+ years and have documented our gatherings every time. With attitude and reluctantly, Kristin did take the picture. There was a $2 up charge for changing spinach to mashed potatoes which seemed odd when your entree was already pricy. Food was good, not over the moon. We decided to share the donut dessert which was very good but here is the kicker (and I tell this part as someone who has worked in the restaurant industry for more than 25 years). We were told that our table was needed in 10 minutes for another reservation. I NEVER DID THIS IN ALL THE YEARS AS A SERVER! If the restaurant overbooked, that is not our problem, that is a management problem. Super disappointing to be treated this way especially AFTER the check and tip were paid.

6  Thank greenclean55