“Not a good value ”
Review of La Maison Navarre

La Maison Navarre
Ranked #1 of 11 Quick Bites in Portsmouth
Price range: US$2 - US$15
Description: La Maison Navarre offers fresh homemade high quality products. In the long tradition of "Patisserie, Salon de The" & "Bar à Vin", we perpetuate the taste, the elegance and the French know-how.
Reviewed 8 November 2018 via mobile

I popped in today for a croissant egg sandwich and a coffee. The place was pretty empty during the 9 o'clock hour.

For what it's worth, I did not feel like I was in Paris. I felt like I was in downtown Portsmouth.

I ordered a croissant with egg, ham and cheese and a large coffee (I normally brew my own but had no cream). After informing my server I was not a rewards member, she told me $10.90. Ouch!

The breakdown was $6.75 for the sandwich and $3.25 for the coffee. Quel dommage! Then it felt like I was in Disney World in Paris.

Anywho, the coffee was nothing special.
The sandwich was messy due to a runny egg.

I think the value was not good for Portsmouth. Time to go back to the Works for my sandwich and make my own coffee. Enjoy!

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed 6 November 2018

Desserts are good but nothing to go crazy about it. We went there for coffee and tea; prices were more that I wanted to spend for the little bites. Good place to grab a hot coffee/tea and chat after a walk around Portsmouth.

Date of visit: December 2017
Reviewed 3 November 2018 via mobile

The wine bar is fabulous! This is our new favorite place for a charcuterie and cheese board. This was our 3rd visit and tonight we branched out to one of the small plates, as well (the frisée salad with lardons) - amazing! We’ve had a wonderful selection of meats and cheeses each time as well as terrific service! The wine selection is also great!

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed 15 October 2018

The food was wonderful! Our crepe was so rich and generous, that we had to take half home. We were provided with beautiful boxes for what we had to save for later. It was accompanied by beautiful greens, dressed with a mustardy vinaigrette that was fabulous. The French Onion Soup was not the soy-laden mixture that you often find in American restaurants. It was lovely and the serving was so generous, that we had to take some home. Our croissant with chicken salad with outstanding as well.

We have to admit that we were a bit put off by the fast, casual concept as we thought that I place like this, would have had full table service. Maybe they do in the wine bar. We were downstairs in the area where they sold pastries. That is the reason for the 4 stars as our food came out at different times due to this business model. The staff was apologetic and gracious about this and gave us some treats for our patience. I am not a fan of the fast casual model and part of the reason is that I might like to have a second beverage but do not often know until I am halfway through a meal. But, we would come again.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 10 October 2018

I have traveled extensively around the world and when you enter this restaurant and taste the food you are in France. Awesome authentic cuisine

Date of visit: May 2018

Been to La Maison Navarre? Share your experiences!