“Hidden Gem”

Price range: US$25 - US$39
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: An intimate dining room where guests enjoy some of the best food in Portsmouth and have fantastic cocktails., The Wellington Room offers seasonally inspired menus which change regularly.
Reviewed 5 August 2018 via mobile

I'll be willing to bet you have walked by this front door at least 10 times if you visited Portsmouth. You immediately head down to war of the decks with a few is awesome but the service and food is terrible. Next time check out the Wellington room for an amazing dinner with great service and reasonable prices. Everything is always made fresh and is delicious.

This is one of the top restaurants in Portsmouth not to missed.

Date of visit: August 2018
2  Thank paul l

Reviewed 10 July 2018

The Wellington Room is upstairs in a historic building over looking Portsmouth harbor. The food is excellent. Prices are on the high end, but worth every penny! Reservations recommended. Ask for a table by the window.

Date of visit: June 2018
2  Thank gaylewhitney
Reviewed 9 July 2018

I was very disappointed as this used to be one of my favorite restaurants in Portsmouth. They did not have many of the items on the menu and in addition could not make many of the cocktails. The location and views of this restaurant is great, but the food and service leave a lot to be desired. There are many great restaurants in Portsmouth and this is not one of them.

Date of visit: March 2018
1  Thank Noraha3
Reviewed 24 June 2018

My husband and I visited the Wellington Room Saturday night and we left with one of the best culinary experiences we have had in a long time. For starters my husband tried the pork belly and I had the beet salad.....the flavors were divine in both dishes, the salad expertly and delicately seasoned , the pork belly had amazing taste combination with fresh mint to break up the sweetness of the pork belly. For our meals I had the braciola with polenta and my husband had the gnocchi with homemade ricotta cheese and grilled veggies, again the flavor combinations were very creative, balanced and pleasing to the palate. It is a tiny place on the second floor of a lively street, has good wine selection, and great views from the side windows. Our waitress was very knowledgeable about the menu , pleasant and informative with all our questions. The owner came out to talk to us, he is British from South Africa and hoping to offer a different type of cuisine away from the typical Portsmouth selections of seafood , which we agree he has certainly achieved with this little hidden gem, definetely would recommend and looking forward to going back on our next trip up North .

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed 27 May 2018 via mobile

I have been to the Wellington Room in the past but after last night's meal it's clear to me that things have changed. Our past dining experiences were wonderful with outstanding food and impeccable service. Unfortunately our dinner last night was the opposite of that. They no longer offer complimentary valet service. The wine list is haphazardly put together and extremely overpriced. The food menu only had 15 items in total including pizza and spaghetti & meatballs. The server did not know how to open a bottle of wine and my dad ended up doing it for her. Thankfully the main courses were good and the portions were fairly large. At the end of the meal we were the last guests in the restaurant (at 9pm on a Saturday) and we felt very rushed out as the servers were breaking down the restaurant around us. I'm not sure if the restaurant is under new management but we will not be returning. Such a shame to see one of Portsmouth's great restaurants take this route.

Date of visit: May 2018