“Delicious Durbar Square”

Price range: US$15 - US$26
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Fresh healthy and local food in Nepali traditional style cooking . Exciting every bite!!
Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

Everything we’ve ever eaten at Durbar Square is just delicious! The owners are some of the nicest and most genuine people you will ever meet. They take great pleasure and pride in ensuring you have a wonderful meal. A true Portsmouth gem.

1  Thank Amy K
Janardan P, Owner at Durbar Square Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Thank you.

Reviewed 6 August 2018 via mobile

Sweet potato and chicken curries were amazing. Asked for level five spice and it was just right, a little burning, lots of flavor!

Thank you very much.

Reviewed 5 August 2018 via mobile

We tried this restaurant on the first night of our vacation. The reviews online were really great, plus we knew we were in for a week of seafood and were open to trying something different, so we cancelled our reservation at one of the decks restaurants and took a chance. We were so happy that we did! Our waiters were very friendly and took time to listen to what we wanted. I got a chicken chili and it was very tasty. I’ve had dishes with the same ingredients before - chicken, veggies, rice - but the flavor was not like anything I’d had before. The menu had a lot of good looking vegetarian options too which I would have liked to try if I had more time. Overall, I would recommend this place to anyone.

Reviewed 26 July 2018 via mobile

We love ethnic food, so when we saw this restaurant while strolling around Portsmouth, we made a mental note to return today for a meal. We weren’t disappointed!

The staff is friendly, they helped us make great choices, and the service was great. Seemed to be a family affair, which always adds an extra special touch to most experiences, I find.

The food is very unique: a little like Indian, a little like Thai, more like Burmese than anything, but definitely flavors all it’s own.

We started with the very popular “momos” which looked EXACTLY like Chinese dumplings or pouch-shaped Japanese gyoza, but tasted nothing like either. They have lots of flavors to choose from and you can mix and match.

We also had the lamb/mushroom curry and the chicken/basil chili. Both were awesome! The dishes were filling, tasty, and very different from one another. The lamb and chicken were SO tender! Lots of veggies and basmati rice so you don’t feel like you just had a heavy meal- very healthy.

Finally we had their special yogurt-based dessert which takes three days to make. Awesome and light!

We will definitely return next time we are in Portsmouth!

Janardan P, Owner at Durbar Square Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2018

Thank you very much.

Reviewed 17 July 2018

Was a little nervous walking in because they were empty on a Friday night at 6...but no worries, the place filled up. Atmosphere casual, Nepalese music playing. What makes the place is the wait staff and food. The waiters are so relaxed, nice, and helpful. The food affordable and delicious. The lamb, mushroom dish was not gamy at all. I wish I would have tried the goat - I bet it is delicious. Apparently it is the most common dish in Nepal. I was worried it would be gamey. My wife had another lamb dish that was amazing. Only complaint - the wife thought the potsucker-like appetizers(momos) didn't have enough meat in them. A noodle dish someone ordered looked like it could feed a family. Definitely would go back.