“Good Standard”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

Reliable good food, satisfying after a big days hike. Would def come back after doing Mt Washington again!

2  Thank VerTheGreat

Reviewed 11 August 2018 via mobile

We decided to go here for lunch after having shipped a bit at the nearby outlet. The place was already busy with customers, as it seems to be quite popular with the locals (people were greeting each other). We got a nice table and first drinks were served quickly. The menu looked surprsingly well selected and contained a nice range of healthy food and variety of salads. We ordered the garlic bread and the fried calamari, both of which was excellent. We had the strawberry salad (with goat cheese) without any additional stuff on it and this was excellent as well. And it was well enough to be not hungry anymore. So order something for sharing to start with and then a salad and you're fine :). Prices are reasonable, service is good so I definitely recommend this place.

2  Thank Nicolas W
Reviewed 25 July 2018

Outdoor patio is a great feature even though there is a patio behind the wall. Our two small dogs were warmly welcomed to sit under the table while we dined outdoor. The salmon was cooked to perfection and the meal my husband had brisket bolognais was delicious. They also serve lighter meals and sandwiches which looked very good. Highly recommend.

Reviewed 16 July 2018

Excellent fried calamari appetizer; cornmeal breading with chili sauce was perfect; calamari not rubbery. highly recommend. dinner of haddock was excellent & nicely presented. server great, beverages great.

1  Thank 64shelk46
Reviewed 11 July 2018

My husband and I have been dining at Black Cap Grill for years. Neither of us have ever had a bad meal or bad service.

Because this restaurant is in kind of a strip-mall like place in North Conway, I think it's easy to overlook or think that the food will be mediocre. Compared to other offerings in North Conway, Black Cap stands out. The offerings are creative and the food is always good. The menu is not super extensive, but there are daily specials that can satisfy just about everyone. Ingredients look to be at least thoughtfully sourced, if not locally sourced.

The surroundings are modern and fresh, always clean. The bar and patio are the dominant features. Ceilings are vaulted and lighting is good, though the restaurant is somewhat on the darker side. The dining area features a gas fireplace that's a comfortable seating option in winter, and the bar features several televisions, typically tuned in to different sports, that can be seen from most if not all of the dining area except the patio. The patio, though right off the parking lot features umbrella-ed glass tables and a high patio barrier that keeps out most of any noise. Fresh, well maintained plants add to the comfortable atmosphere. Around the corner, there is a gas fire pit with benches. For those for whom it matters, the restaurant appears to be fully accessible. The restaurant can be accessed from the parking lot via a sidewalk that does have a flat place, and the doors look to be sufficiently wide for most wheelchairs. Bathrooms do feature a large, accessible stall with rails. Toilets are self-flushing; soap, sinks, and towels are within reach. Tables are the correct height and most, except possibly tables for two, are wide enough, even outside.

The food is always thoughtfully prepared, and while the menu isn't super extensive, it does offer a fully customizable burger menu to include gluten free and vegetarian options. Fries, the shoestring kind, are especially good. Another reviewer mentioned the menu being pricey, but for the kind of food offered, the cost is fair. At a recent meal, my husband ate a burger with cheese and bacon on a GF roll ($1-2 upcharge,but I don't recall exactly) and fries, I ate a seasonal salad with grilled chicken. He had a few beers that were around $7-8 a pint and I had a house margarita that was $9. Our total bill, including tax was around $58. Without drinks, plan to spend around $35 for two, give or take.

The restaurant offers wine specials and drink specials; mixed drinks are always reliably good and aren't from mixes. My margarita was the real deal. Also good are the martinis, if you are into that sort of thing. This restaurant is great for apps and drinks or a meal, and even desserts--though we didn't have any this trip, have always been rich and delicious.

Staff is open, friendly and welcoming. I have never had bad service, or even mediocre service. It's worth noting that I often see the same wait staff, even after several years. I have not ever had much of a wait for a table, probably ten minutes, if that.

If you are a family, this is a comfortable choice, though I wouldn't call this restaurant family style dining. Also, feeding a family of four would be somewhat expensive here. That being said, I often see families dining here and they appear to be satisfied and happy.

All in all, this restaurant is great for date night or apps and good drinks with friends. It's always been a solid choice for us.

3  Thank Deb C