“Reliable food and service; great drinks!”
Review of Black Cap Grille

Black Cap Grille
Ranked #16 of 100 Restaurants in North Conway
Price range: US$15 - US$25
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 11 July 2018

My husband and I have been dining at Black Cap Grill for years. Neither of us have ever had a bad meal or bad service.

Because this restaurant is in kind of a strip-mall like place in North Conway, I think it's easy to overlook or think that the food will be mediocre. Compared to other offerings in North Conway, Black Cap stands out. The offerings are creative and the food is always good. The menu is not super extensive, but there are daily specials that can satisfy just about everyone. Ingredients look to be at least thoughtfully sourced, if not locally sourced.

The surroundings are modern and fresh, always clean. The bar and patio are the dominant features. Ceilings are vaulted and lighting is good, though the restaurant is somewhat on the darker side. The dining area features a gas fireplace that's a comfortable seating option in winter, and the bar features several televisions, typically tuned in to different sports, that can be seen from most if not all of the dining area except the patio. The patio, though right off the parking lot features umbrella-ed glass tables and a high patio barrier that keeps out most of any noise. Fresh, well maintained plants add to the comfortable atmosphere. Around the corner, there is a gas fire pit with benches. For those for whom it matters, the restaurant appears to be fully accessible. The restaurant can be accessed from the parking lot via a sidewalk that does have a flat place, and the doors look to be sufficiently wide for most wheelchairs. Bathrooms do feature a large, accessible stall with rails. Toilets are self-flushing; soap, sinks, and towels are within reach. Tables are the correct height and most, except possibly tables for two, are wide enough, even outside.

The food is always thoughtfully prepared, and while the menu isn't super extensive, it does offer a fully customizable burger menu to include gluten free and vegetarian options. Fries, the shoestring kind, are especially good. Another reviewer mentioned the menu being pricey, but for the kind of food offered, the cost is fair. At a recent meal, my husband ate a burger with cheese and bacon on a GF roll ($1-2 upcharge,but I don't recall exactly) and fries, I ate a seasonal salad with grilled chicken. He had a few beers that were around $7-8 a pint and I had a house margarita that was $9. Our total bill, including tax was around $58. Without drinks, plan to spend around $35 for two, give or take.

The restaurant offers wine specials and drink specials; mixed drinks are always reliably good and aren't from mixes. My margarita was the real deal. Also good are the martinis, if you are into that sort of thing. This restaurant is great for apps and drinks or a meal, and even desserts--though we didn't have any this trip, have always been rich and delicious.

Staff is open, friendly and welcoming. I have never had bad service, or even mediocre service. It's worth noting that I often see the same wait staff, even after several years. I have not ever had much of a wait for a table, probably ten minutes, if that.

If you are a family, this is a comfortable choice, though I wouldn't call this restaurant family style dining. Also, feeding a family of four would be somewhat expensive here. That being said, I often see families dining here and they appear to be satisfied and happy.

All in all, this restaurant is great for date night or apps and good drinks with friends. It's always been a solid choice for us.

3  Thank Deb C

Reviewed 8 July 2018 via mobile

Decent place to enjoy a few beers and some seafood or burger. It's a fairly large place with some sitting space outside.

Reviewed 6 July 2018 via mobile

They ran out of mussels (boo). The spinach/artichoke dip was good, but the other apps were not too good - garlic bread without flavor, wings that were too sweet.

I had scallops that were cooked well but was put together very poorly with heavy aioli and lobster risotto. My son had haddock that was very dry, and the burger (supposedly award winning) was over cooked.

So left feeling somewhat disappointed after hearing good reviews.

2  Thank MerlineB
Reviewed 3 July 2018 via mobile

We got right in, had one of the best meals ever: pan seared scallops with lobster risotto and arugula and my husband had a burger that was great as well. Full bar to pick from. Higher priced than other restaurants but also higher quality and nicer atmosphere for a nice meal out. You choose inside or outside dining

1  Thank Hupchurch
Reviewed 26 June 2018

Went here for dinner on a Friday night at 7:30. Hostess was friendly and showed us to our seats right away. Our waitress came right over and took our drink orders. My husband ordered the angus burger medium. It came out med well and was very dry. Not juicy at all and really had no flavor to it. The fries and onion rings were quite good. I ordered the baked haddock w/lobster sauce, but asked for no lobster sauce because I am allergic to lobster and was assured that was fine. When my meal came out the piece of haddock was so dry and overcooked. When I asked for no lobster sauce I guess they took that to mean no sauce at all, so no butter or wine was used in the cooking process. The basmati rice that came with the meal was very good, but there was very little of it. The veggie medley was good. Our waitress came back to the table after only having dropped the meals off 1 minute prior and asked how everything was. I told her we hadn't even tried them yet. She said o.k. and walked away. Didn't see her again until our meals were almost done. Could have used some more lemon for the haddock and more aoli sauce for the burger. The home made carrot cake for desert was amazing, but I did not care for the ice cream that was served with it. It had a very weird flavor for vanilla and was a goopy consistency. The checked was dropped off without our server asking if we wanted coffee or another drink. I guess we were done. I was charged the full price for the Haddock dinner even though I did not have the lobster sauce. The food here was just average and a bit on the pricey side. Probably would not come running back to this place.

1  Thank Fuzzychicken