“Cabin on the river...”

Riverbank Motel and Cabins
Ranked #15 of 20 Hotels in Lincoln
Reviewed 17 September 2016

What a nice cozy cabin on the river. Very clean room overlooking the Pemi River with ducks to feed. The river was very low due to the drought but still had a nice "sound" to it. Deanna was very accommodating and pleasant to talk to. The price was very reasonable and location off the main road and close to attractions and restaurants. Just a short ride into town and right next door to Clark's Bears. Now tell me it doesn't get any better than that! The only thing that would make this place perfect would be a queen or king size bed in the cabin....The bed that's in the room is a double, not big enough for 2 adults, other than that, I loved it.

Room Tip: September is a great time for New Hampshire !!!
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled as a couple
ManagementRiverbank, Owner at Riverbank Motel and Cabins, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2016

Thank you for your visit to Riverbank Motel & Cabins. We are very happy that you had an enjoyable stay and hope you will return again. Just as a note since I have just had a customer inquiring, all the units at Riverbank Motel & Cabins have at least one queen bed. You may have stayed in our studio cabin which has a limited area around the bed making it feel smaller. I hope you will give us a try again as all our units do have queen beds. Thank you.

Reviewed 7 August 2016

If the middle part of the 1900s, the boom in vacations via automobile led to a boom in places for auto travelers to stay. Eating at restaurants while on the road was, at that time, considered an expensive option; and people from out of town were often uncertain whether an eating place would be the proverbial "greasy spoon." Thus, a lot of lodgings were built with kitchenettes in order to allow travelers to prepare their own meals in their rooms. This latter amenity became less common as fast food chains allowed meals of reliable (if bland) quality to be eaten quickly & cheaply while on the road. Thus, motel rooms with kitchens became less common. I should note that in-room mini-fridges & microwaves, as well as free breakfasts, have, in the last couple of decades, become almost normative at even budget motels.

in addition, a lot of the places built at this time had separate, if very small, cottage-like structures for each lodging, giving the idea of "owning" your own home while on vacation. Again, this style almost disappeared as adjacent rooms were found to allow more rooms to rent per square meter of owned land. And again, this style of lodging is coming back in the form of "camping cabins" at campgrounds.

The Riverbank is a throwback to the days when you could get a separate cabin with a full (almost) kitchen despite staying only one night. My motel room had two queen beds, full bath, phone, radio-alarm, fridge, microwave, kitchenette (stove, toaster, utensils, sink), coffee maker, AC, fan, reclining chair, and TV with 57 channels. The room was clean, well-maintained, and (fortunately) quiet. Free amenities include wifi (not that good), parking, and pool. Staff was friendly, professional, and clear about their procedures.

If this was the sum total of the retro nature of this place, I would consider them charming. However, there are some aspects that are backwards to the point of bizarre. Like the thin walls that, if an adjacent room was noisy, could have led to a problem.
The doors all had key locks, did not lock automatically when they closed (ie, if you forget to intentionally lock it, literally anyone could have entered), and had no dead bolts or chain. Again, if someone of ordinary strength wanted to break into your room, it would not be difficult.
If you check out before the office opens (like hiking at day-break, which is what I did), you leave your key in a box near at the front door. The problem is, the box with dropped keys can be accessed by anyone who can lift a piece of wood. Thus, anyone could take your key and enter the room you just vacated, and there would be no way to prove that it wasn't you who stole from or vandalized the room.

Most bizarre, however, is that this is a 2016 lodging that does not accept credit cards. Surcharges for CC payments are legal, and I wouldn't argue with any place that adds this charge. I thus can't understand why any motel in 2016 would not accept them.
The lack of CC payments also means there is no way to guarantee that you will show up beyond you calling up and stating that you will do so -- which is what I had to do the morning of my ten-hour drive to the White Mountains. I hesitate to think what could have happened had I been delayed in my arrival.

What makes this even more strange is that you can check room availability online. I can't imagine why they would pay for such a good online presence but not pay to accept credit cards.

I personally was quite happy with what the accommodation that I got for the price I paid, and had no problem paying in cash. However, others may not want to stay at a place with dubious security, with no way to absolutely guarantee a reservation, and that requires cash payment.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled solo
1  Thank RabePaul
Reviewed 18 July 2016

Its nice place at a very good location. Everything is nearby. Very helping and cheerful lady we met to collect the keys. Had all the basic amenities. Will be staying at the same place with my parents this year as well.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 June 2016

We stayed in January 2016 and again for an impromptu weekend get-away in March 2016. Different room and absolutely no complaints. Very clean room with 2 Queen Beds, free wifi, cable TV. Kitchenette. We love it here and plan to stay more frequently.

• Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2016

New Year Get-away! This was our first time at a motel as opposed to a campground in the area. Only, I'm starting to get a little old for a tent. I want the TV, Wifi, Shower, a comfortable bed...
After some research and reading reviews, I came across Riverbank. I called the owner and she was very happy to answer any questions I had.
The room was extremely clean. (Always the first thing I look for) The Bed was comfortable. The temperature of the room was well kept. The owner was very welcoming and the staff was also accommodating when we requested extra towels. Love that the room had a mini fridge, microwave and coffee maker.
The motel is very close to the attractions we wanted to visit. Along with a plethora of shops and restaurants. We felt comfortable and safe staying there. Very convenient. Nice stay. Thank you!

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple