“Outstanding Restaurant & Service”
Review of Tavern 27

Tavern 27
Ranked #2 of 88 Restaurants in Laconia
Price range: US$5 - US$41
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Tavern 27 is an Americana Farm to Table Tapas Restaurant and Piano Bar in Laconia NH that features all-natural, local and organic Deliciousness!! The restaurant is location on 20 acres in a 231 year old house. We maintain our own organic garden and feature many local New Hampshire and New England products on our menu. Our seasonal menu has something to please every palate, everything from steamed vegetables to grilled all natural tenderloin to crispy fried haddock from our dedicated gluten free fryer. We have an extensive Gluten Free and Vegetarian/Vegan menu, a beautiful wine list featuring very unique sustainable/biodynamic selections; our beer list includes mostly New England brews, we have a seasonal drink menu, and specials everyday. Tavern 27 is a MUST stop on your visit to the Lakes Region of NH.
Reviewed 8 November 2018

While visiting Lake Winnipesaukee, we ate at Tavern 27 our first night here. It was a remarkable restaurant with interesting decor inside a building dating to the 1700s. Upon our arrival, the owner greeted us and said he had a table in the main dining area, but there was a rather loud child in there and asked if we cared to sit in the bar area at a table with higher chairs and extremely quiet. We chose the latter and we were grateful for him giving us the option. After a complementary tapas dish, my wife had a Caesar salad with added shrimp, and I had the "Olive It Up" appetizer. Both were excellent. We then shared the Duck Confit Rolls. If we ever return to this area, we'll definitely be eating here again.

Date of visit: November 2018
1  Thank Millerdb

Reviewed 7 November 2018 via mobile

The food was outstanding!!! Getting a seat can be tricky without reservations, even when not busy. The drinks were very nice, but a bit slow.

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank AARCJones
Reviewed 6 November 2018

Been there several times and have never been let down. Always great food / great atmosphere.
Will most definitely be going back again

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank Getaway208200
Reviewed 5 November 2018

Went here when visiting friends in Laconia, I feel compelled to write this because my friends live there and were afraid to short tip the waiter because they know him. But, this place has GOT to hire more servers. The current servers are getting burned out and are taking it out on the customers. I have read similar reviews saying the same thing. Our waiter was not good, he actually got mad at my husband because he accused him of ordering the clam chowder twice, I mean "come on", the only reason he might have double ordered is because the waiter NEVER checked on us, we got up to get our own plates and our own water, it was really bad. The owner told us up front they were short staffed but how is that the customer's fault? Did you give a discount? no and my friends were afraid of retaliation so we tipped him 20% anyway for subpar, basically rude service. It is really too bad and I want the owners to read this because the food was AMAZING. The haddock balls were the best ever, the flat bread was the best I have ever had, french fries stellar, brussell sprouts heavenly, and best of all, the BREAD PUDDING, just the best ever. Also, all food prepared fresh so the timing was slow but it gave you time to digest and enjoy each bite. Piano player was a nice touch too, nice man and he played all of our requests. We loved the food, would go back again if we hear they hire more servers.

Date of visit: November 2018
2  Thank crp1385
eat_tapas, Owner at Tavern 27, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2018

Dear CRP1385, as the owners we live with uncontrollable passion to deliver an outstanding dining experience to each and every guest that comes through our door. Our reward is often experienced through the receipt of kind words and wonderful smiles. Your friends took that reward a step further by bringing you, their friends, in to dine with us.

The restaurant industry in the Lakes Region and beyond is struggling to find help. We are putting forth every effort that we can to lure people in. We are rather picky about who we bring onto our team because we hold our team to a high standard and expect excellence. There is also a huge lack of applicants due to the public degradation phenomena. (In spite of this, as I mentioned to you, we will be welcoming a new hire to our team this week).

Upon introduction to our restaurant, I did tell you we were short staffed, not as an excuse, but to share the reality of the situation. What I didn't share was the key reason why. Over the past 2 years we have had 3 employees who all have generated rave reviews here on Trip Advisor or Yelp or Google or Facebook. Unfortunately, each of them also had an encounter with that customer that other's tell us can never be pleased, try as we may. That customer then went to one of the aforementioned websites and wrote a negative review about them. In turn, each of those would be amazing employees quit working for us and left the industry consequent of the review. In fact, several good restaurants in the region have had to shorten their hours or close their doors due to lack of staff. Thank you for your kind words about our "AMAZING" food. We appreciate the sentiment, but without servers, this industry is suffering and the public is going to be missing out on all kinds of "AMAZING" food.

The service system at tavern 27 is comprised of multiple visits to a table by our entire team, not just one person. No one person is solely responsible for any table, we work as a team. Each time an item is brought to the table the individual delivering the item has concern for your needs and is qualified to take orders. After my investigation of your review, I learned that your husband placed an order for a cup of Clam Chowder with the team mate that delivered a dish to your table, the order for the chowder was in. He then asked for it again from the waiter that you reference in your review which did add a second order for Clam Chowder a few minutes later. As you referenced in your review, all our food is prepared fresh to order. Our soups and chowders are not sitting in a vat. Therefore, when the first cup was ready and the waiter delivered it, he was concerned for whomever ordered the second cup which was in preparation. His questioning was not out of anger, but out of concern for who the other cup was for.

The waiter's concern for your well being comes as no surprise to me because in our 8 plus years of reading customer reviews, he leads all others by far with praise. Which is why I'm very concerned about how he will respond during our conversation about this review tomorrow when we reopen for business this week. I hope he doesn't quit as a result of an online review as so many other great servers in this industry have. He is an amazing person with as much concern about our guests as I have as the owner.

My wife and I both visited your table. And in fact, at the end of your experience, I spent a considerable amount of time conversing with you. You had the perfect opportunity and I am not sure why you didn't just say something to me face to face, person to person, if you were so dissatisfied. If your friends know our waiter and didn't want to short tip him, they must care about him, and perhaps they could have said something to us about him to help him through the misunderstanding rather than coming to TA to degrade him publicly.

Workers in this industry put themselves out there every day. We are humans with feelings that make a living by trying to please all of the people all of the time. As customers, communicating with owners or management in the moment is the best way to make change, or to get the discount that you were looking for.

Reviewed 4 November 2018

Loved visiting Tavern 27 during my recent visit to a friend that lives in Beverly Massachusetts. Yes, it was a long drive from Beverly, but SO WORTH IT!
We tried many menu items, everything was devoured! The service was GREAT! The atmosphere was comfortable... eclectic! The French Onion Soup was PERFECT!

Date of visit: October 2018
1  Thank GoodFoodRuleZzz

Been to Tavern 27? Share your experiences!