“Great place - but go off peak if you want conversation”

The Stage Restaurant & Cafe
Ranked #4 of 108 Restaurants in Keene
Cuisines: American
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Family run business, Chef owned and operated for 34 years
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Lunched here yesterday with friends from out of town. Service and food were excellent, but as others have noted, it is very, very noisy. There doesn’t appear to be a soft surface in the place, and conversations echo like crazy. When husband and I arrived a little after noon we could not hear each other, even though we sat side by side at a four top. The space also looks fairly dingy -- dark walls, old fashioned tile floors and booths. I thought it could use a serious spruce up, hubby thought it was bistro-atmospheric.

Service was top notch -- friendly and attentive without being intrusive. Food was also excellent. I had the Blue Max Burger: a thick, juicy burger with several slices of crisp bacon and good blue cheese. (Have to admit, it looked tiny when served, but I discovered it is very much thicker top to bottom than side to side, and very juicy). Husband has the New England melt: a hot turkey sandwich with cheese, bacon jam, and maple mustard. Both with sweet potato fries. We each had a Bloody Mary, which was top notch.

Go here for the food! It is delicious, and the service is great. If you want quiet conversation, go at off-peak times.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Ask what the ingredients are in any dish you plan to order or you may have to pay for food you cannot eat. I ordered eggs benedict on corned beef hash for brunch. The corned beef hash had red peppers in it, which I cannot eat. I never expected red peppers in corned beef hash. I gave the waitress may plate and asked to order something else. She said I would have to pay for that meal. I asked for the manager and was told they cooked "exactly what I ordered. It was not their fault that I couldn't eat it. I would have to pay." I said that was unacceptable and she relented.

I have never had this happed at a restaurant before! I was having lunch with friends. So embarrassing. So insulting.

If you are going to eat here be sure to ask what ALL the ingredients are in their food BEFORE you order it. Be extra careful if you have allergies. It could cost you a lot to eat here otherwise.

Reviewed 4 October 2018

Four of us were visiting Keene and The Stage was recommended by a local. Glad we listened to her, we all enjoyed our meals on the outdoor patio. We all enjoyed the brussel sprout appetizer - very delicious!

Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

This past Sunday, 9/30/18 my wife and I took a near 2 hour ride to a winery in southwest NH. Afterwards we searched for a great restaurant in the area and found The Stage in Keene. It was mild enough to sit outside of their downtown location. The service was friendly and knowledgable and the food was amazing! The blackened barramundi was a generous portion, cooked to perfection and very flavorful. My wife's braised short ribs were lean, moist, tender and delicious! We will definately go back and highly recommend!

1  Thank FrioGato
Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

The stage restaurant is the best restaurant in Keene. All their food is great. The portions can be shared. The staff is very attentive and professional. I eat there every time I go home. I recommend their breakfast especially.

Been to The Stage Restaurant & Cafe? Share your experiences!